What will my degree cost? (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
it's also not about profits - it's about funding research so Australian unis can have a presence on internet rankings like QS which all use research as a major ranking factor

it's literally about making the unis more prestigious on a global scale
so the the student's suffer as a result of the universities' ego?

bangladesh

HSC
but wouldn't his/her starting salary be more than $60k?

I understand universities are businesses and they have to make money. but take UNSW for example, someone pointed out to me that there are about 40K students x average $200K per student you will be getting $8000000000 over the time of the degree ($2 bill/year). the uni doesn't need that much for operational income

Still doesn't affect me
no, his/her starting salary would be around ~57k

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
so the the student's suffer as a result of the universities' ego?
Actually what they intend is quite the opposite - to give students a better chance at competing on a global scale where most businesses now have huge international functions and where domestically degrees are starting have less significance than ever because everyone has one.

Every country with uni's who are able to already do so charge their students an incredible amount, and like the privatisation of pretty much everything (with the exception of private schools because unlike everything else they have a national curriculum they are standardised to and forced to submit to) higher quality products simply cost more. Believe it or not, the value of your degree is a significant increase in the quality of what are receiving.

What we see occurring in the public at the moment is people who were previously spoilt having that taken away from them and reacting to it.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually what they intend is quite the opposite - to give students a better chance at competing on a global scale where most businesses now have huge international functions and where domestically degrees are starting have less significance than ever because everyone has one.

Every country with uni's who are able to already do so charge their students an incredible amount, and like the privatisation of pretty much everything (with the exception of private schools because unlike everything else they have a national curriculum they are standardised to and forced to submit to) higher quality products simply cost more. Believe it or not, the value of your degree is a significant increase in the quality of what are receiving.

What we see occurring in the public at the moment is people who were previously spoilt having that taken away from them and reacting to it.
yeah i guess. My friends that went to UTS say to me "big shot UNSW engineering" even though the degree is pretty much the "same" everywhere

but to increase it by $200K nigga dayum

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
yeah i guess. My friends that went to UTS say to me "big shot UNSW engineering" even though the degree is pretty much the "same" everywhere

but to increase it by $200K nigga dayum
Engineering from a top university is different from a 2nd or 3rd rate uni. it's like comparing engineering at UC berkeley, caltech, MIT to some kid from some random state uni. prestige does matter and it's what set the G8 institutions apart from other universities. All the top universities are ranked highly mainly because of the money they can throw at research. What uni doesn't want to keep nobel laureates on it's staff?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Still, i want to actually see where the number's come from. Universities still havent set out the fees for the 2016 deregulated school year yet and it would be interesting to see how much it'll cost

D94

HSC
N/A
Still, i want to actually see where the number's come from. Universities still havent set out the fees for the 2016 deregulated school year yet and it would be interesting to see how much it'll cost
I think they are comparing it to the cost for an international student.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Intoes pay like ~$4.4K for a subject compared to domestic students who pay ~$1076/ subject

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
According to this it will take me 40 years to pay off my debt.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
According to this it will take me 40 years to pay off my debt.
and that's assuming your salary will never grow and be stuck at 57k a year. i did the thing and it said my arts degree will start at 44k. welp thank god i got jobs lining up that's 55k+ and commissions xD

bangladesh

HSC
and that's assuming your salary will never grow and be stuck at 57k a year. i did the thing and it said my arts degree will start at 44k. welp thank god i got jobs lining up that's 55k+ and commissions xD
bit offtopic, but i've always wondered what art's graduates do with their degree afterwards?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)