• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What will my degree cost? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
bit offtopic, but i've always wondered what art's graduates do with their degree afterwards?
You would be surprised - many jobs and professions these days just have a bachelors degree as a requirement. I mean, other degrees are more useful, but an Arts degree certainly isnt as useless as people think.

Engineering from a top university is different from a 2nd or 3rd rate uni. it's like comparing engineering at UC berkeley, caltech, MIT to some kid from some random state uni. prestige does matter and it's what set the G8 institutions apart from other universities. All the top universities are ranked highly mainly because of the money they can throw at research. What uni doesn't want to keep nobel laureates on it's staff?
Research doesnt really have much to do with teaching standards and quite frankly, nor does a lecturer's CV. I mean, when I was at uni, a lecturers performance didnt really seem to correlate much to their CV - some lecturers who looked great on paper were useless in the classroom and vica-versa. Unless you are in Law or gunning for certain niche positions, prestige isnt going to count for anything (even for Law and those niche positions, it matters little compared to other things).

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Research doesnt really have much to do with teaching standards and quite frankly, nor does a lecturer's CV. I mean, when I was at uni, a lecturers performance didnt really seem to correlate much to their CV - some lecturers who looked great on paper were useless in the classroom and vica-versa. Unless you are in Law or gunning for certain niche positions, prestige isnt going to count for anything (even for Law and those niche positions, it matters little compared to other things).
Uni rankings are always based on research quality rather then teaching. Otherwise there'd be a ton of random small liberal arts uni's like cooper union topping the list because they have such a strong focus on teaching compared to research. What people forget to realize pretty much all uni lecturer's find teaching a nuisance and would rather just completely focus on their research.

Prestige does still count for a lot even in specific industries depending on the uni you graduate from as well. Aussie uni's don't put that much emphasis on teaching anymore, tutes are getting larger and larger. If there's a strong focus on teaching quality, you'd have smaller sized tutorials.

enoilgam

HSC
Prestige does still count for a lot even in specific industries depending on the uni you graduate from as well.
It's only a few industries (i.e. Law, IB and Management Consulting) - even in those cases, your uni's brand name isnt going to count much in comparison to the rest of your CV. For most other jobs though, the uni counts for nothing (for most entry level/junior positions, they dont even care about marks). I've been to the later stages of a few major grad programs and the topic of "which uni are you from" does come up quite a bit when candidates talk amongst themselves. For me, that definitely dispelled the myth that uni prestige matters, because the Go8s certainly didnt account for most applicants. To be honest, I saw way more graduates from UoW and UNCLE then I did from USyd or UNSW. One interview I went for with a major insurer had 2 people from UNCLE and ACU and one each from ND, USyd and UTS.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's only a few industries (i.e. Law, IB and Management Consulting) - even in those cases, your uni's brand name isnt going to count much in comparison to the rest of your CV. For most other jobs though, the uni counts for nothing (for most entry level/junior positions, they dont even care about marks). I've been to the later stages of a few major grad programs and the topic of "which uni are you from" does come up quite a bit when candidates talk amongst themselves. For me, that definitely dispelled the myth that uni prestige matters, because the Go8s certainly didnt account for most applicants. To be honest, I saw way more graduates from UoW and UNCLE then I did from USyd or UNSW. One interview I went for with a major insurer had 2 people from UNCLE and ACU and one each from ND, USyd and UTS.
UNCLE?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)