wedding outfit ideas (1 Viewer)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i've got my bf's sister's wedding comming up (end of nov) and wouldnt have a clue what to wear. the invite says black tie/lounge suit...whatever that means to us girlies.

i dont feel like spending heaps on a whole new outfit, i barely ever get that dressed up so i wouldnt really wear it again. i've got my formal outfit (linkies) and a nice green dress (but it doesnt really fit me that well), but other than that, i dont really have much in the way of dresses. mum said just go simple (black pants, nice top, etc) and just buy some new shoes.

any ideas of what sort of thing i should look at?

Always

HSC
I don't think black pants will cut it for a black-tie event. Black tie usually means modest dresses (no plunging neckline) for women and a full suit (and tie) for men. Since you're younger you may get away with something a little more casual.

Buy a black kneelength dress that you like. Black dresses are so versatile and can be worn again and again. There are many nice, basic, black dresses around for less than $100.

You could also buy a kneelength skirt and a pretty top. These are items you could easily wear again. You could also wear your formal top with a new skirt.

In my opinion, guests wearing floor length gowns is a little over doing it since a lot bridesmaids only wear cocktail dresses these days. Then again, I'm not sure what the bride of the wedding you're attending expects.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
black cocktail dresses are good and versatile, but i dont really wear dresses. i barely ever go to formal-ish functions, so it'd probably end up in my cupboard along with my formal stuff and the other dress.

i was thinking i could wear my skirt and maybe look for a new top or vice versa, but i remember it took ages to find something to match the top (which's the reason we cut my year 10 dress down into the skirt). the kneelength skirt and top sounds like a nice idea, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to find anything formal enough without it being too expensive. i want to get new shoes, so that'll probably be $50+ at a guess and i dont want to spend too much.

i'm not sure how formal it'll be. i'm guessing it might be a bit more casual, the wedding's going to be held on a reserve and then they're going to the local surf club afterwards (up on the nothern beaches)

HSC
I'd pick something simple with solid colours.

I'd say no to denim, prints (floral is okay, a bit granny style if you ask me) or formal-dress material unless it was pre co-ordinated.

Because it's on a beach, you might not want to wear pants, i'd go for an A-line skirt with a short sleeve blouse and possibly a jacket if it's cold.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i actually think that the outfit you wore to your formal would be perfect for the wedding. it suits you and its young.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
rei: yeah, i think i'll stay away from mum's idea of pants..too casual (even if it looks dressy) for a wedding. denim and (the more obvious) prints are 2 i wouldnt think of considering (denim espically).

the more i think about it, the more the skirt and a new top and shoes seems like the easiest option. i guess i wouldnt have a clue where to find a top to go with the skirt...but looking for a whole outfit isnt really the easiest thing for me to do, espically in such a short amount of time. i could look for a simple skirt and top, but agian, finding something formal but inexpensive might be hard

alley: i'm not too sure if the combo would really work. i love the skirt, but i'm not sure about the top. anyone got an idea of what sort of top would work with the skirt?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
you need to stand out from the crowd... ive got a wedding coming up too...(we might be going to the same one) and im planning on going nekkid... lets hope no other genius thinks of it, otherwise ill look like a moron

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Yeah, that formal outfit is awesome! you looked great. if you dont want to wear exactly the same outfit, just get a new top or skirt to go with it.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
alby said:
alley: i'm not too sure if the combo would really work. i love the skirt, but i'm not sure about the top. anyone got an idea of what sort of top would work with the skirt?
well the skirt is quite simple, other than the brooch on it, so you could match it with a plunging neckline top in black or a fitted bodice.

did you want to wear black or something more colourful? white would also look good.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
alby said:
i hope noone turns up to this one nekky *hides* when's yours? that's the easiest idea, but as i said before, wouldnt have a clue what sort of top would suit/where i could get one
nothing to be ashamed of... cmon now... sure im not the next brad pitt, but you neednt hurt my feelings...

mines on the 20 something of october... cant remember... whens yours?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Orange Juice said:
you need to stand out from the crowd... ive got a wedding coming up too...(we might be going to the same one) and im planning on going nekkid... lets hope no other genius thinks of it, otherwise ill look like a moron
i hope noone turns up to this one nekky *hides eyes*:p when's yours?
PerfectByNature said:
just get a new top or skirt to go with it
that's the easiest idea, but as i said before, wouldnt have a clue what sort of top would suit/where i could get one

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
shit thats wierd... another reply jumped in front of mine, and mine jumped in front of albys

alby

cool duckie
HSC
AlleyCat said:
did you want to wear black or something more colourful? white would also look good.
i think something lighter would probably suit it better, cant see black working that well.
Orange Juice said:
shit thats wierd... another reply jumped in front of mine, and mine jumped in front of albys
i deleted mine & re-wrote it...but yes, bos time is dodgy
Orange Juice said:
damn, you missed seeing me nekkid without any obligations :p
bugger

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)