UTS BIT CO-OP or UNSW CS/Engineering or UNSW CS/SCI (1 Viewer)

Toby Garrett

HSC
I'd like some help picking between these three courses. I want to get into medicine next year as a non-standard entry student, but that also means I'll have to pick a degree that I will be completely fine sticking to if med doesn't work out. That being said, I'll still have to maintain a high enough GPA and I have heard (not sure whether it's true or not) that it is more difficult to maintain a higher wam/gpa with the degrees of my choice at UNSW as opposed to BIT at UTS. Are the UNSW degrees that much harder to maintain a 6.5+ GPA in than UTS?
I'm interested in all three courses and would be more or less completely fine with any of them if med doesn't work out (except for maybe uts, since I'm not sure whether the whole Co-Op thing is worth the trade-off, compared to going to unsw for cs)
If I were to choose cs/engineering, I'm not sure which engineering degree would complement the cs degree, but also allow me to get a high wam/gpa (Ik it's true that I should pick something that I enjoy instead of worrying about wam/gpa, but I'm still concerned bc smthn could be interesting but also insanely difficult to get a high marks in). The same thing goes for which major I should pick with the science degree in cs/sci, I don't want to pick something that seems 'interesting' like maths and stat bc it will pair nicely with cs, but then completely flop it.
Overall, I'd just like some advice on what decision I should make (or other courses that I should also look into) and if someone could shed some light on their experience in these degrees/experience trying to get into med through non-standard entry it would be greatly appreciated!

cossine

HSC
I'd like some help picking between these three courses. I want to get into medicine next year as a non-standard entry student, but that also means I'll have to pick a degree that I will be completely fine sticking to if med doesn't work out. That being said, I'll still have to maintain a high enough GPA and I have heard (not sure whether it's true or not) that it is more difficult to maintain a higher wam/gpa with the degrees of my choice at UNSW as opposed to BIT at UTS. Are the UNSW degrees that much harder to maintain a 6.5+ GPA in than UTS?
I'm interested in all three courses and would be more or less completely fine with any of them if med doesn't work out (except for maybe uts, since I'm not sure whether the whole Co-Op thing is worth the trade-off, compared to going to unsw for cs)
If I were to choose cs/engineering, I'm not sure which engineering degree would complement the cs degree, but also allow me to get a high wam/gpa (Ik it's true that I should pick something that I enjoy instead of worrying about wam/gpa, but I'm still concerned bc smthn could be interesting but also insanely difficult to get a high marks in). The same thing goes for which major I should pick with the science degree in cs/sci, I don't want to pick something that seems 'interesting' like maths and stat bc it will pair nicely with cs, but then completely flop it.
Overall, I'd just like some advice on what decision I should make (or other courses that I should also look into) and if someone could shed some light on their experience in these degrees/experience trying to get into med through non-standard entry it would be greatly appreciated!
UNSW will most likely be slightly harder. Another factor to consider is whether you are going to like the subjects. A lot subject are filler-subjects i.e. not meaningful. Although you have not mention it, If you want to maintain a high WAM/GPA I would consider doing BSc(Maths) or Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences at UTS.

- mathematics 1
- mathematics 2
- probability and random variables
- Discrete Maths
- Regression Analysis
- real analysis
- Complex Analysis
- Database Principles
- Numerical methods (study Python programming before hand try a course from Jose Portilla e.g. data science course on Udemy)

Most subjects are quite easy to self-study. Just referred to the recommended or required textbooks in the subject outline. Use math stack exchange for any questions you don't understand. Quizlet contains fully worked solutions for exercises in the textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)