UBS Cadetship (1 Viewer)

manscux

HSC
Basically yes. However it's mostly just commerces or economic degrees fone

If you don't want to do accounting. UBS is the only one
okay thanks mate.... would you think they would accept acturial studies and finance

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder if anyone here actually knows what the UBS role involves other than it's "not accounting".

Study-Guy

HSC
I wonder if anyone here actually knows what the UBS role involves other than it's "not accounting".
It largely depends on whether you chose operations or finance as your area of preference. BTW would you have any idea how many cadets they take on?

Just for the record, accouting gets a bad name but it is actually extremely useful and important. I definately intend to major in it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know quite a lot of people who took on business cadetships, including one at UBS, and it's interesting to look at what they actually do. Despite a lot of people hating the accounting name, once you get into it, you realise that the skills, experiences and actual work does not differ that much between the two fields. I guess the primary difference would be accounting tends to be driven by standards and laws whereas finance is a bit more broad, but at least from a cadetship perspective, both are largely driven by historical data and information needs of users as opposed to the more stereotyped front-office forward-looking roles.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It largely depends on whether you chose operations or finance as your area of preference. BTW would you have any idea how many cadets they take on?

Just for the record, accouting gets a bad name but it is actually extremely useful and important. I definately intend to major in it.
No idea for 2013. Not involved in recruitment nor have I worked at UBS.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

Around 5 for each division it even less

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Explain to me what the different roles actually involve then :)
The finance is about reporting, auditing and analyzing.

While the operations is more so the management of the whole finance but, poor wording but is more ensuring things go well in the finacs bit

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The finance is about reporting, auditing and analyzing.

While the operations is more so the management of the whole finance but, poor wording but is more ensuring things go well in the finacs bit
Hope you don't plan on saying either of the above in your application/interviews lol.

Either way, I guess the challenge which I have for all those people who are anti-accounting is how does the business cadetship differ from an accounting cadetship other than name?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ps. I'm not trying to be a **** here but just trying to clear up many misconceptions and remove some of the irrational or disproportionate glitz and glamour people associate with finance.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
ps. I'm not trying to be a **** here but just trying to clear up many misconceptions and remove some of the irrational or disproportionate glitz and glamour people associate with finance.
I know

With this. You can branch to wealth management and more investment type situations and that is something I would like to do.

Obvious I understand I may do some accounting, but it won't be the same you do. If you understand what I mean. I would like to experience all areas of finance, not just accounting. Hence the option to invest sounds really good

Also you saw my application too :p

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
IMO Serem is spot on. You're in big trouble if you can't actually define what kind of work the cadetship is centred on. From my experience regarding cadetships in general and what I've been told about the UBS program, you're going to be found out rather quickly if you aren't genuinely motivated and interested in the role. I'm having a hard time working out how you can be in that sort of position without the relevant information.

Take this as constructive criticism and something to work on before the interview rather than an insult (which it isn't).

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I meant to say. With UBS you will rotate in several areas, including accounting, however that isn't a major part of it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just keep an open mind because the people I know who did business cadetships all had an expectations gap with what the job actually entailed. Some have stuck it out (including my friend in UBS who now works in UBS HK) but if you are thinking front-office, you are far better off going with finance coop and ensuring you have great academics/extra curricular.

HSC
nah powlmao bro ur gonna be leading the new hedge fund project jp morgan failed! gl son

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Just keep an open mind because the people I know who did business cadetships all had an expectations gap with what the job actually entailed. Some have stuck it out (including my friend in UBS who now works in UBS HK) but if you are thinking front-office, you are far better off going with finance coop and ensuring you have great academics/extra curricular.
Even the finance coops might not be what most people envisioned. For such a competitive program a handful usually drop out after their first work placement.
I think its because they were chasing the cash and not realising that 9am-12am is a normal workday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)