Two UMAT questions a day. (1 Viewer)

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Continued from: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=274714

"
I'm going to post up 2 questions similar to the UMAT, one question from section 1 and 2 each day. Each time I post up the questions for the day I will also post up the answers of the previous day."

Answers
Start by identifying the conclusion: that nations will not invest money in undersea development projects because the tax would be imposed to make the projects unprofitable. The argument, however, rests on a very important assumption: the tax would be so great as to eliminate all potential for profit. This is why (A) is an important question. Options B, C and D may be asked, but are not as critical to the feasibility of the project as is (A).

The counsellor is unlikely to feel angry since he is probably aware of the difficult time Edward and his wife have had (option A). He probably also realises that they have been told many times of the risk of having the baby. There is little reason for the counsellor to feel ashamed (option B) - he is merely following policy. The counsellor can explain the situation and do any number of things to resolve the situation, which means he is unlikely to feel powerless (option C). The best answer is option D - the counsellor is likely to feel judged.

New Questions
Question 3

In a certain language, luk eir lail means 'heavy little package', bo lail means 'heavy man' and luk jo means 'pretty package'. How would you say 'little man' in this language?

a) bo eir

b) luk bo

c) luk eir

d) eir luk

Question 4

Obstetrician: Josephine, because anaesthetic will have a slight but significant chance of influencing your baby's breathing and heart functions, I think you should try labour without anaesthetic until you really can't cope with the pain. Doing so will improve your baby's chance of survival.

Josephine: Doctor, I can't. I just can't cope with it. You can't imagine how much pain I went through when my first child was born. I can't take such pain again. It'll kill me. Please have me anaesthetised when I go into labour. Please.

Josephine can best be described as

a) Annoyed

b) Irrational

c) Concerned

d) Desperate

MW4521

HSC
N/A
question 1- A?
question 2- B?

i was deciding between D and B for question 4....

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
Question 1 - A
Question 2 - B.

^Same, I was trying to pick between D and B.

Eg155

HSC
Question 3- A?
Because: bo=man, lail=heavy, luk=package, jo= pretty. Therefore bo would have to be in the answer because the word 'man' is needed in the phrase, that eliminates (C) and (D). Since luk means package and we're looking for 'pretty' that eliminates (B); also, an adjective is needed -'pretty'- and package is a noun. In B package comes second and the noun appears to come first. 'Bo' - man- is the noun and comes at the beginning of the phrase in (A) . ...
You asked for reasons in the the previous thread that's why I explained my answer, otherwise I wouldn't explain :) Hope it's right :L

qwerty44

HSC
Question 3-A

Question 4-D

I'll give reasons later when I'm on the computer and not the iPod.

Eg155

HSC
Question 4, (D). The reason I have is because of the evident negativity present in her speech which sorta of identifies her character as desperate.

Josephine: Doctor, I can't. I just can't cope with it. You can't imagine how much pain I went through when my first child was born. I can't take such pain again. It'll kill me. Please have me anaesthetised when I go into labour. Please.

The highlighted , especially the 'please' at the end makes her explanation/request imploratory, and therefore desperate.

lath

HSC
A and D...the constant pleading and repetition suggests that she is desperate

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Question 4, (D). The reason I have is because of the evident negativity present in her speech which sorta of identifies her character as desperate.

The highlighted , especially the 'please' at the end makes her explanation/request imploratory, and therefore desperate.
but despite being desperate, she is thinking of just HERSELF not the baby. Not to mention its the obstericians job to ensure that the baby is delivered at the best possible outcome. But she can't see that, she is only thinking of the pain she will be through....thats why I thought B would be the best suited answer

but yet again I dont know :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For question 4, I'd go off the board and write-in "Unfit mother (the selfish biatch she is)".

Anyway, can't wait for the answers!

SunnyScience

HSC
3. A
Luk eir lail = heavy little package
bo lail = heavy man
luk jo = pretty package.
by equating, we see that these two phrases are he only ones with 'heavy' in them, therefore, the word in the other language, must be used twice. In this case, the only word use twice as 'heavy' was is 'lail'. Therefore heavy = lail.
By elimination, this must mean bo = man, since 'lail' already means heavy.

heavy = lail
man = bo

By equating again, the word 'package' is also used in two phrases: 'luk eir lail' and 'luk jo'. The only two words used twice here is 'luk'. Therefore luk = package. Although it is unnecessary to know, 'jo' must therefore mean 'pretty' by elimination.

package = luk
pretty = jo

By further elimination, and the meaning of the words we just deduced the meaning of, the word meaning 'little' can also be found.

'Luk eir lail' is the only phrase used containing the sentence 'heavy little package'. But, we already know the translation of the words heavy (lail) and package (luk). Therefore little = eir.

little = eir

Therefore, 'little man' is translated to 'eir (little) bo (man)'.

But, as can be seen in the first given phrase, the translated sentence does not have to necesarily be in the same order in terms of their words. (heavy and package have been rotated). Therefore 'bo eir' is appropriate to the options given.

Therefore, 3 is A.

For four i got D :p

I believe the answer is not B because it is a perfectly rational choice to not want to practically die during childbirth, just maybe a selfish one? she sees there being no point in both of them dying during the childbirth progress and who rather the chances of her childs life be tampered slightly, then her complete convincement in the fact that she (and her child) will die in the process without it.

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
but despite being desperate, she is thinking of just HERSELF not the baby. Not to mention its the obstericians job to ensure that the baby is delivered at the best possible outcome. But she can't see that, she is only thinking of the pain she will be through....thats why I thought B would be the best suited answer

but yet again I dont know :/
U hav a good point and I would hav to agree.

jnney

lemon
HSC
3 = A [self explanatory]

4 = C

I do not think that Josephine is irrational (B). Yes, anaesthetic may harm her baby and she has been informed prior to labour. Therefore she is not making a decision at the spur of the moment. I was tossing between C and D but I'm not very sure. I expected most people to choose D but since my initial reaction was C , I'll just go with it. It is true that the pain isn't going to kill her, however, it must have been such an extremely traumatising situation to have to react that way. Yes, she is desperate, but moreover she is concerned for her own state of mind/health

I dont know. :/

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
3 = A [self explanatory]

4 = C

I do not think that Josephine is irrational (B). Yes, anaesthetic may harm her baby and she has been informed prior to labour. Therefore she is not making a decision at the spur of the moment. I was tossing between C and D but I'm not very sure. I expected most people to choose D but since my initial reaction was C , I'll just go with it. It is true that the pain isn't going to kill her, however, it must have been such an extremely traumatising situation to have to react that way. Yes, she is desperate, but moreover she is concerned for her own state of mind/health

I dont know. :/
If she was concerned, I think she would also consider the life of the baby as well as hers. But if she's irrational, it means that she isn't making a logical or reasonable choice, she is only worried about HERSELF not about the baby. Although imo, it's really close between B and D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)