Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

decypher

HSC
Frigid said:
Okay, then how do I calculate my GPA (Grade Point Average?)

GPA is the weighted average measurement of your university grades. It would be unfair to simply average your grades without giving weight to their credit values (so say you got High Distinction in a 2cp subject, but got a Credit in a 10cp subject, it would be hardly fair to say you got a Distinction average).

So, how do we calculate GPA?

First, write down the marks and credit point values of each subject you do.

Then convert each mark into a grade. Usually this is done by working out which bracket your mark falls in:

0 - 49 = Fail
50 - 64 = Pass
65 - 74 = Credit
75 - 84 = Distinction
85 - 100 = High Distinction.

Now, convert your grades into grade points based on the following:

Fail = 0
Pass Conceded = 3
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7.

Your GPA is calculated by:
GPA = Σ(grade point for subject multiply by credit point value of subject) divided by Σ(credit point of subject). In the language of 2-unit General Maths, this means:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + ... + GP'n' x CP'n' ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n' )

Still don't get it? Here's an example:
Quote:
Suppose my friend Fred had studied a Business degree at the University of New Technology Sydney (UNTS), with four subjects this year. The subjects were Managing Stupid Tutors (MST), Economics for Newbies (EFN), Accounting High-Failure Rates (AHR) and Business Law without Ethics (BLE). Each subject was worth 6 credit points.

Fred got the following marks back on his academic transcript at the end of the year:

MST: 67/100 (Credit)
EFN: 85/100 (High Distinction)
AHR: 93/100 (High Distinction)
BLE: 65/100 (Credit)

(these marks are real, i kid you not)

To calculate Fred's GPA we plug the info into formula:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + GP4 x CP4 ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + CP4 ).

Since Fred got 2 Credits, for those subjects he uses a GP value of 5. For his 2 High Distinctions, Fred uses GP values of 7. Note that all CPs in this example are 6 (since all subjects Fred undertook are 6 credit points). However, in your own example, they may vary.

GPA = ( 5 x 6 + 5 x 6 + 7 x 6 + 7 x 6 ) / ( 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 )
= 144 / 24
= 6

So, we have worked out Fred's GPA - a value of 6! That's saying, having given weighting to the credit point values of each subject, Fred got an average grade of Distinction! yay! :)

*pats everyone on the back for being so good at General Maths.*
Now you try it for yourself ;)
Source

x1kira1x

HSC
im currently at uws studying business and commerce, any1 know what grade i need to tranfer to unsw or uts?

Andi0390

HSC
Hi, just a few questions, and I am aware similar ones have been asked throughout this but I thought I would ask my own. I read the pdf on GPA's and their conversions as well.

Firstly, are grades converted straight into points regardless of their numerical value? So if one person were to get a 64 and another a 73, would their GPA be worth 5 regardless of the the difference?

I am currently studying a BA at ANU, and now due to family reasons I have no reason to stay in Canberra and want to get out of here asap. I'm currently in my first semester of uni, is that considered okay as far as transferring goes? Also, I presume this means that I would not get any responses to my applications until I have finished the semester and sent in my transcripts?

Also, what is the trend to UAI's for second semester entry? I understand that UAI's can change and are somewhat unpredictable, but on general do they generally stay the same, or drop a little or raise a little? Are there many places, or is this just reflected in the entrance?

I'm a pretty slack student. I know that its bad but its the way I am and I don't really feel I could change much. My results in the first assessments (short essays worth around 10%) were around 70 for the subjects I cared about, 65 for the ones I want to murder (Poli Sci). Is this trend likely to be repeated through the semester, or do marks generally drop on later assessments?

Also, are there any fun and decent uni's that people recommend for arts around the NSW/Melb region? I'd like to stay out of Sydney for living costs, but otherwise I am reasonably flexible. I don't feel ANU is really me.

Thanks for any help.

spence

HSC
Firstly, are grades converted straight into points regardless of their numerical value? So if one person were to get a 64 and another a 73, would their GPA be worth 5 regardless of the the difference?
Yeah, they will be worth the same

I am currently studying a BA at ANU, and now due to family reasons I have no reason to stay in Canberra and want to get out of here asap. I'm currently in my first semester of uni, is that considered okay as far as transferring goes? Also, I presume this means that I would not get any responses to my applications until I have finished the semester and sent in my transcripts?
If you've completed less than 1 year full time, then uni results aren't considered, just your UAI

Also, what is the trend to UAI's for second semester entry? I understand that UAI's can change and are somewhat unpredictable, but on general do they generally stay the same, or drop a little or raise a little? Are there many places, or is this just reflected in the entrance?
I know that for Sydney at least, the policy is that the cutoff can rise for mid-year entry, but it can't fall below the main round cutoff. I would imagine other unis would be the same. Keep in mind though that main round cutoffs may be inflated, so it may be possible to get in with a UAI below the published cutoff (this happened to me)

Also, are there any fun and decent uni's that people recommend for arts around the NSW/Melb region? I'd like to stay out of Sydney for living costs, but otherwise I am reasonably flexible. I don't feel ANU is really me.
For arts, it'll really depend on what area you're interested in. I only really know about the Sydney unis, and USyd and Mac are supposed to be very good afaik

mikey1

HSC
N/A
Hey, this message is in regards with transfers.

I dropped a unit .. yes before the census date :p

So I am doing 30 credit points - 3 Units, and on 0.375 EFTSL.

The course I want to transfer into requires 0.5 FTE years University completed bachelors level.

I have gotten nothing less than 85% - HD in exams and assignments.

Bad HSC mark, 144 STAT Mark - I know. I couldnt sleep the night before.

How are things lookings for me ?, Im a little worried about me dropping that one unit. but they want 0.5 FTE, so Im guessing they will just look at 4 units, I am sure I will get HD or D for four units. by the end of the year I will have done 7.

Any help would be great thanks !</SPAN>

dm4n

HSC
Hey, this message is in regards with transfers.

I dropped a unit .. yes before the census date :p

So I am doing 30 credit points - 3 Units, and on 0.375 EFTSL.

The course I want to transfer into requires 0.5 FTE years University completed bachelors level.

I have gotten nothing less than 85% - HD in exams and assignments.

Bad HSC mark, 144 STAT Mark - I know. I couldnt sleep the night before.

How are things lookings for me ?, Im a little worried about me dropping that one unit. but they want 0.5 FTE, so Im guessing they will just look at 4 units, I am sure I will get HD or D for four units. by the end of the year I will have done 7.

Any help would be great thanks !</SPAN>
yes that looks great but always watch out for the finals :burn: and 0.5FTE means you have to do at least 4 units

btw what do you want to transfer to?

Andi0390

HSC
Firstly, I was reading up on the Usyd site about mid year transfer and they said limited places were available to the UAI was higher? Is this true and does anyone have a vague idea of the approximate number?

Also, my friend is really slack and he got into Arts at ANU from a pre tertiary program, he also got into Arts/Law at UC at the beginning of the semester but turned it down. He has now dropped two of his arts courses and ceased going to the others and announced that he is going to apply for Arts/Law at UC. Will he get in? Or will they say no because of this poor first semester?

thanks

spence

HSC
Firstly, I was reading up on the Usyd site about mid year transfer and they said limited places were available to the UAI was higher? Is this true and does anyone have a vague idea of the approximate number?
I got into economic and social sciences at USyd mid-year with a UAI below the cutoff

Also, my friend is really slack and he got into Arts at ANU from a pre tertiary program, he also got into Arts/Law at UC at the beginning of the semester but turned it down. He has now dropped two of his arts courses and ceased going to the others and announced that he is going to apply for Arts/Law at UC. Will he get in? Or will they say no because of this poor first semester?

thanks
For second semester its hard to say, as the cutoffs for mid-year may be different. But if he applies for next year he should get it unless the cutoff goes up, as uni results are only counted if you've completed at least a year full time

Sonata

HSC
hey, just a couple of questions regarding transfer
Currently im studying at UWS engineering as a 1st year student planning to transfer into
B Science (Computer Science)/B Arts at UNSW

1) About the GPA, does it matter wat unit u do? e.g. im planning to pick up comp science semester 2 units in the second semester while still holding onto the eng degree, right now im doing the engineering units. So at the end of the year ill pretty much have a mix of engineering and comp science units, will i still receive a GPA, or do i have to complete all the units offered in the 1st engineering program to obtain a GPA.

2) When transferring from UWS engineer degree to UNSW CompScience degree, is it allowed to transfer directly from my current degree to another? or must i transfer to the engineering degree then to comp science degree at UNSW?

3)About FEAS, does it still apply to NRSL index/mark?, since ive obtained a UAI of 69.25 and from memory even in an ideal situation where i manage to get a HD or GPA 7 the highest i could get was a 84, and the cut off is 88. FEAS pretty much accepeted ppl with a UAI between 75 to 87, though im not sure if it applies to NRSL also. So what are my chances?

4)Mid year transfers are up and running on UAC, should i even be bothered to apply for
B Science (Computer Science)/B Arts at UNSW and hope i get a place lol?

5)If i want more info i pretty much contact the faculty of engineering at UNSW?

Any help would be awsome thanks

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
As far as I know it doesn't matter what courses you do as long as you have an equivalent year of full time study. You can transfer across to other degrees/courses.

As far as the course specific details go I can't really help with that. Although I would not count on getting High Distinctions across the board to get in. Its not a very reliable strategy for university entry. If you are that far below its not worth applying, its $49 for mid year applications. If you think that you have a chance though, go ahead with it.

If you have any questions I guess you can contact UNSW although my experience with contacting universities is that they never help. They are like tax departments and centrelink.

Elysiums2

HSC
N/A
Hey sorry to bother you guys but I was just wondering about the upcoming mid year transfers.

Basically I studed in Sem 1. 2008 then took program leave for Sem 2.
And am studying again in Sem1. 2009

I was just wondering if that counts as 1 year full time? Because I dont think my Sem1. 2009 results will be released before the applications close

Sonata

HSC
As far as I know it doesn't matter what courses you do as long as you have an equivalent year of full time study. You can transfer across to other degrees/courses.

As far as the course specific details go I can't really help with that. Although I would not count on getting High Distinctions across the board to get in. Its not a very reliable strategy for university entry. If you are that far below its not worth applying, its $49 for mid year applications. If you think that you have a chance though, go ahead with it.

If you have any questions I guess you can contact UNSW although my experience with contacting universities is that they never help. They are like tax departments and centrelink.
doesnt that kind of destroy the purpose of the uai? i mean i could just pick out sum easy units and then do well in it and transfer

spence

HSC
doesnt that kind of destroy the purpose of the uai? i mean i could just pick out sum easy units and then do well in it and transfer
How does it destroy the purpose? Getting into the course with a UAI is still easier and quicker. And going well at uni takes a lot more work than high school

luxslash89

HSC
im doing med sci yr 1 right now and wish to transfer to the dent skool in griffith uni.
i heard sometime in the past on a post that only my GPA would count in transfering not my UAI, but now im getting mixed answers,,,...
ive done bad in high skool (cambridge qualification in NZ) so the UAI thing would
simply KILL ME, and would stop me from getting anywhere.
Does it all depend on the different unis?

p.s ive finished high skool in 2007

Roguey

HSC
I'm currently at MQ, and I want to transfer into USYD.
I was wondering, what is counted as a full year of study? After two semesters of study, I would have only done 7 units.
If that is not enough, would doing a summer school unit count, or is it too late?

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
Seven units doesn't count.

I don't know about the summer school - it might count - but it would probably be too late for 2010 first semester entry. They release main round offers early-mid January and you would need your results by then - maybe later for a later round but I don't think it would work.

Roguey

HSC
Okay thanks :)
I just found and read the UAC Full-Time Equivalence thing on UAC.

Full-time equivalence (FTE)

When you calculate the full-time equivalence (full-time years enrolled) in the course or employed at the company, tell us the nearest quarter year.
For example:
1. If you were enrolled for 3.5 years as a part-time student, your FTE is 1.75.
2. If you completed five full-time semesters and there are two semesters in each year, and you are currently in your final full-time semester, your FTE is 3 (including the current semester).

It's a little vague, but from what I understand, i'm not enrolled as a part time student, so shouldn't my studies count as full time?

But even if that's wrong, and 8 units/ year equates to a full year, then 7/8 units = 0.875 years of study. If it is to be rounded to the nearest quarter, then it should be rounded up, since it's smack bang in the middle of 0.75 and 1 year of study. Does this sound correct?

spence

HSC
Okay thanks :)
I just found and read the UAC Full-Time Equivalence thing on UAC.

Full-time equivalence (FTE)

When you calculate the full-time equivalence (full-time years enrolled) in the course or employed at the company, tell us the nearest quarter year.
For example:
1. If you were enrolled for 3.5 years as a part-time student, your FTE is 1.75.
2. If you completed five full-time semesters and there are two semesters in each year, and you are currently in your final full-time semester, your FTE is 3 (including the current semester).

It's a little vague, but from what I understand, i'm not enrolled as a part time student, so shouldn't my studies count as full time?

But even if that's wrong, and 8 units/ year equates to a full year, then 7/8 units = 0.875 years of study. If it is to be rounded to the nearest quarter, then it should be rounded up, since it's smack bang in the middle of 0.75 and 1 year of study. Does this sound correct?
I'm 99% sure you need to have done 8 subjects (or equivalent) for it to count

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)