Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

lexonfire

HSC
Hey, I'm currently in my first year studying a BA @ Usyd. I got a UAI of 80.3, so what gpa would I need to get into BA in Communications (Journalism) @ UTS?? [2008 cut-off was 95.05]

How about for BA in Communications (Writing & Cultural Studies) @ UTS?? [08 cut-off was 88.55]

- Also, are my chances affected if I only did 3 subjects this semester instead of the full 4? What effect would this have on my gpa?

Last edited:

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I was just wondering - after browsing several threads about transferring, UNSW (or just their commerce faculty?), some people have mentioned that they take the 'highest out of your secondary and tertiary marks'.

Does that mean say your UAI was 75, and (say) your GPA is 6 (D average), do you mean that they'd completely ignore the UAI (which in this case is the lowest of 'the secondary and tertiary marks') and use only your GPA (which is around 96 of your selection rank)? Or does it mean something else?

Also (with the introduction of HSC Plus in 2007) does the HSC Plus bonus points add to your final selection rank (to compete with the year 12's) for your transfer?

Sorry if it didn't make much sense, I'm really trying to make sense out of all these GPA's, WAM's etc. everyone's been talking about here.
Thanks.

//Edit: Oh oh and also, if I was to transfer after 2nd year, is UAI counted at all?

Last edited:

dm4n

HSC
i know that it applies for the commerce faculty at unsw (don't know about other faculties) so yes if u do get a D average then 96 will be your selection rank but you must have also completed 1 year FTE.

Im also sure that the HSC Plus doesn't affect your selection rank if you are a NRSL

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
dm4n said:
i know that it applies for the commerce faculty at unsw (don't know about other faculties) so yes if u do get a D average then 96 will be your selection rank but you must have also completed 1 year FTE.

Im also sure that the HSC Plus doesn't affect your selection rank if you are a NRSL
So would that apply if I wanted to pick up the degree? (B Com/B Arts) Would that be internal or external?

(I want to add commerce to my current arts degree at UNSW... And because I only had a 75ish UAI, I know if it was half UAI, half GPA, I'd have no chance of getting in at all. But so far my grades at my first semester seems to be all around a middle range distinction...)

dm4n

HSC
well you do it through UAC and apply for B Commerce and if you get accepted you are given the choice of doing straight commerce or a double degree (in your case Commerce/Arts). You will get exempted for the arts subjects that you completed. So if you can maintain a distinction average for first year you should definitely get in

littlelostboy

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't that 75 UAI mark pull her NRSL index down even though uni results are more important?

So her NRSL index will be (96 + 75)/2 = 85.5 (Confirm this, I didn't check the NRSL table)

The cut-off for B Commerce at UNSW will be at least 97+ in 2009. Thus, even though if she maintain all D average throughout the year, her NRSL index will still be way below the cut-off and she is also competing with year 12 this year and alot of people with uai 89+ who is applying for a transfer next year.

I asked this because I want a transfer too and my uai is above 75, but after calculating my own NRSL index, I believe I have only about 45-50% to get into B Commerce.

dm4n

HSC
nope because commerce at unsw take the higher of uai or tertiary marks whereas other faculties like law take half of your uai and half of your tertiary marks. I think NRSL only compete with other NRSL since courses usually have a few spots reserved for them from what i have heard.

littlelostboy

HSC
N/A
So UNSW B Commerce don't use NRSL index?

Mmmm so dm4n if

Student A with uai score of 70 and GPA 6 which assume it equals to 96 in the selection rank

and

Student B with uai score of 84 and GPA 5.5 which assume it equals to 94 in the selection rank

and

Student C with uai score of 92 and GPA 4.5 which assume it equals to 88 in the selection rank

then UNSW will take Student A, then Student B and lastly Student C even though Student A score the lowest uai score out of the three students?

dm4n

HSC
yep they will take student A first but realistically the chances of someone with 70 UAI maintaining a D average is pretty low

accolade

HSC
does anyone know wat gpa i need to add law into my degree (UNSW) as a combined one.
I got a uai of 92 and i want to add law so i can do a combined degree. and does GPA get calculated after 1 year doing that course as a fulltime student (exlc part time)?

Thanks!

mewantcookies

HSC
N/A
THIS IS FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT TRANSFERS INTO LAW

I SENT AN EMAIL TO UTS STUDENT ADMIN AND THEY GAVE ME THE FOLLOWING REPLY:

Description: Do I need to submit a Personal Statement to UTS if I'm a second year student and wanting to apply for B Medical Science and B Laws via UAC?

Comment by Analyst: Dear Student,

Please be advised that personal statements are no longer required from applicants.

Regards,
Student Adviser

cossa1

HSC
N/A
im expecting a uai of high 70s low 80s. i want to eventually get into vet science at sydney uni. if i did animal science at western sydney and got high distinction average could i transfer to vet bio science? and then again average high distinction and transfer into vet science? how hard would this b to achieve and how hard is it to transfer into such a high demand course such as sydney uni vet science?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Yeah for the past 2 years I have been under the impression that my UAI will forever haunt me. This suggests otherwise:

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your reply,

After one full time year of tertiary studies an applicant is assessed for admission to commerce on the basis of either their UAI or their first years results, UNSW will consider the qualifications that gives the applicant the highest admissions rank.

Regards

Stuart

CRICOS provider code: 00098G
So unless I'm misunderstood, if I get a D/HD average (assuming I can get into something), I should get in...even with a UAI of 46.25??

JoshCoward

HSC
N/A
hi, sorry if this question has been asked before.

for 2nd year uni student to transfer, what do other uni's mainly look at? combination of uai + uni mark (1st and 2nd year) or sorely on uni mark (1st and 2nd year) or only the 2nd year uni mark or only the 1st year uni mark?

thanks in advance :)

N

Newberry

dm4n said:
yep they will take student A first but realistically the chances of someone with 70 UAI maintaining a D average is pretty low
My UAI was 66.15, and I have maintained a D average in first year engineering. I was lucky to get in, but I have since made my mark!

spence

HSC
cossa1 said:
im expecting a uai of high 70s low 80s. i want to eventually get into vet science at sydney uni. if i did animal science at western sydney and got high distinction average could i transfer to vet bio science? and then again average high distinction and transfer into vet science? how hard would this b to achieve and how hard is it to transfer into such a high demand course such as sydney uni vet science?
Late reply but I'm pretty sure for vet science after one year only gpa & stat count, so you could do one year of your course, then do stat, and if your marks are good enough you'll get in

lozza321

HSC
hey,
im about to finish my first year of arts at usyd, if what your saying applied to me aswell ill be very happy...
i really really want to transfer to communications (public communication) at uts.
my uai was 97.35 and last semester i got 3 credits and a pass ... this semester however, has been pretty crap.
when they select you for uts communications, do they look at both you uai and uni marks or just choose the better of the two.
if its the better of the 2, i can stop stressing about my gross exams on friday .

HSC
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your reply,

After one full time year of tertiary studies an applicant is assessed for admission to commerce on the basis of either their UAI or their first years results, UNSW will consider the qualifications that gives the applicant the highest admissions rank.

Regards

Stuart

CRICOS provider code: 00098G
I emailed UNSW several weeks ago and their reply suggested that they look at both UAI and first year results, albeit this was regarding transfer within the Arts and Social Science faculty which possibly does take into consideration both UAI and NSRL index.

You’re ability to transfer will be based on a combination of your UAI and your results from your first year of study. The marks that you will need to achieve in your first year of study will be dependent on how close your UAI is a cut off but you should definitely work to the best of your ability in order to give yourself the best chance to transfer.
I just noticed they spelt "Your" as "You're" :p

Anyone have any idea what other UNSW faculties that only look at the better of the two?

EDIT: According to UNSW Aussie School of Biz
transfer will depend on the results of your current study and your existing UAI. If your existing UAI is lower than the entry UAI to our programs, the results of your current study must bridge the gap between your UAI and the entry UAI.
...a bit conflicting with that email and what people have been saying about one of the other of UAI / tertiary?

Last edited:
HSC
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and The Australian School of Business take either UAI or GPA, which ever one is the best of the two.

Law: 50/50 - UAI/GPA

Scissors

HSC
guys, kevin is dumb. he doesn't know shit about transfers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)