Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hey, yeah, i've wanted to know that too. how long you should wait to see if phenophalein fades to clear... some say 5, 10, 30 secs. so, i'm unsure

it's tomorrow ! i can't be bothered going anymore. wake up early... ai...

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
teacher said indicator that is freashly made should not be too long
(eg, 30secs is enough)

Just wanna double check here, but i guess it's too late :S

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
(^o^) said:
hmmm so any tips for us? :)
haha, i didn't do too well in titration comp. I rushed it too much, and still ran out of time.

I think my mistake was I put too much indicator in and didn't clean things as well as I should have.

I feel it is 1/2 pot luck. In the comp area I was in the group who came 2nd were like "wtf! we had no idea what we were doing..." o_O

HSC
mine was at north shore high school, i ended up getting (5)^2 so total 25 score, lowest in other group was 1! our school got 2nd, sydney boys, north shore high and georges river college was at the school

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Casmira said:
mine was at north shore high school, i ended up getting (5)^2 so total 25 score, lowest in other group was 1! our school got 2nd, sydney boys, north shore high and georges river college was at the school
Whoa..that's crazy.
I was doing mine at PLC Croydon....the schools competing there were Hornsby Girls, Ruse, Strathfield Girls and Meriden I think + my school. The top team was JRAHS, but I think their score was 120 (not too sure on that though). I know that 2nd and 3rd were tied though with a score of 141. How on earth do you get a score of 25, let alone 1?

HSC
im talking about individual scores ;D, my group got like 200, we went horrible, the other 2 didnt go as well but then again one rocked up really late

the best group got like 25 OVERALL then 40 something was our best group, my mate got 1, he made 1 mistake only but his group for 2nd last becuase someone in his group got a few hundred points

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
haha, SBHS got pwned pretty badly :p it was a real pity that one person from their best team didn't turn up and that team had to be disqualified!

i got 9...but my team ended up with a score of like 214!!!!!!!:chainsaw:

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
the best group got like 25 OVERALL
wow... which school got that? that is so unbelievably good ! dammit.

though i thought my group did alright, considering we only did a bit of last min practicing. but yay... we didn't come last...

there was a guy near me, and he kept getting the most palest pinks! gosh, i was so jealous. except they only had 2 ppl in their group, so i guess they got disqualified.

and then there were some chicks near me, and they kept getting hot pink. don't know if they'd done it properly and were jsut mucking around in the end. they didn't win though.

wanton-wonton

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
haha, SBHS got pwned pretty badly :p it was a real pity that one person from their best team didn't turn up and that team had to be disqualified!

i got 9...but my team ended up with a score of like 214!!!!!!!:chainsaw:
Which fag didn't turn up from SBHS?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
table for 1 said:
wow... which school got that? that is so unbelievably good ! dammit.

though i thought my group did alright, considering we only did a bit of last min practicing. but yay... we didn't come last...

there was a guy near me, and he kept getting the most palest pinks! gosh, i was so jealous. except they only had 2 ppl in their group, so i guess they got disqualified.

and then there were some chicks near me, and they kept getting hot pink. don't know if they'd done it properly and were jsut mucking around in the end. they didn't win though.
you need to AVOID getting very pale pink. extra phenolphthalein helps.

wanton: i dunno.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
meLoncoLLie said:
you need to AVOID getting very pale pink. extra phenolphthalein helps.
eh? why? like crap, tell me after i've done it all. i thought phenolphthalein was slightly acidic, and too much would alter the results?

but my group wasn't very into it. kept going past as well. the last 10 mins, we were totally panicking. me especially with the calculations. i made my friend do it for me.

but were you guys told how much you errored by? cos i didn't. we only found out our total score.

also, curious to know what was the worst score people at your venue got. i'm not sure but i heard it was 3000-something

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
too much indicator could stuff up your results for you, yes. the recommended amount for titration is around 3-5 drops - i always add 5 drops for acetic acid :) it makes the solution in the conical flask a very nice dark pink, which helps a lot in determining the colour change

we got our individual scores as well as the team's score. my score was 9, so that means i was off by 0.0003 (is that right?)

i'm not sure what the worst score at our venue was, but a team from SBHS got that. i vaguely remember the worst score from my school being 40000+ (lol!), so it has to be higher than that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)