Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
How do you find out where your "centre" is?
our teacher applied for it
plus we have "connections" with mcq uni anyway

whatever... =/

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
(^o^) said:
our teacher applied for it
plus we have "connections" with mcq uni anyway

whatever... =/
Hmm...if Macq. Uni is for schools on the north shore, then I guess I'll be going to Macq. Uni too...

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
You are given a known solution of HCl, a stock of NaOH and the unknown solutions of acetic acid, A, B and C, each with different molarity.

There are 3 people in a team. You all use the communal HCl and NaOH. There are a finite amount of each so it is important not to waste any (450mL for HCl and 1L of NaOH I think). You standardise the NaOH solution with the HCl. You must do this titration and obtain at least two useable (ie not rough) results per person or you will be penalised or disqualified.

Then you titrate your solution of acetic acid with NaOH. You must also obtain at least two useable results per person for this titration. On the sheet you have space for four results per titration, it is advised you do so, if you have enough time, to maximise your accuracy.

Each of the team member does his/her own titration. Therefore a team may do up to 24 titrations in total, 8 per person.

You are supplied with phenolphthalein. You may not bring any indicators of your own.

Hope that helps

Xiao: Not sure if it's the training, but 4 titrations in 90min seem pretty relaxed.
thanks. that does help a lot. it cleared up what the whole process was. so each yr it's always using those 3 different solutions?

and i can't believe we each have to do a titration each. i'm so screwed, because i haven't even done one yet. sigh... and i was wondering what the third person did, because i thought you only really needed max 2 ppl for a titration, so i would jsut like, not really do anything and record the values. i was afraid of this. i figured that it would be too easy and unlikely. damn... i'm so screwed.

still going to try my best, so i'll be asking more noob questions as i come up with them

anyways, what if you break the equipment during the titration? will you get penalised, or have to repay them? they'll have spare equipment right? does anyone actually break anything at the competition, or are they all pros?

am i practically the only one who is going in pretty unprepared and without practise? that's it, i'm so bugging my teacher to let me do a titration during lunch time. oh, but i need to cover the theory first. can anyone scan in their titration stuff from their textbooks, or recommend me some sites? i need all the help i can get. just in case my class doesn't cover titrations in time.

aural_sax05 said:
my school is too poor to buy distilled water so i guess i wont win
what? you have to buy distilled water? i always assumed that the school distilled their own water. especially since it was always in those clear 2L juice bottles, which a sticker label: 'distilled water'. i just thought they made it themselves.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
table for 1 said:
thanks. that does help a lot. it cleared up what the whole process was. so each yr it's always using those 3 different solutions?
I think so.

table for 1 said:
still going to try my best, so i'll be asking more noob questions as i come up with them
Feel free to ask whatever you don't get.

table for 1 said:
anyways, what if you break the equipment during the titration? will you get penalised, or have to repay them? they'll have spare equipment right? does anyone actually break anything at the competition, or are they all pros?
I don't know, the only piece of equipment that is easy to break is the burette...and I assume you need to repay them.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
table for 1 said:
am i practically the only one who is going in pretty unprepared and without practise?QUOTE]

It's not until June, so there's still plenty of time to practise. My class isn't up to titrations yet, but we're almost there...I think we're going to do about 5 titrations just over the next week or so, but I'm definitely sure you're not the only one who's unprepared (like me :p)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
velox said:
isn't shore a testing centre aswell? We usually go to UNSW.
Don't think so. But they'll have better equipment...even we have better equipment than the ones UNSW supply.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Our teacher wants to apply for Uni/Syd.
Last year was fun - we screwed up everything - well, considering half the people who applied didnt know what was being done, and were blindly following the instructions memorised during practice lunch times - it wasnt that bad.
I hope we start acidic before June.. :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
ishq said:
Our teacher wants to apply for Uni/Syd.
Last year was fun - we screwed up everything - well, considering half the people who applied didnt know what was being done, and were blindly following the instructions memorised during practice lunch times - it wasnt that bad.
I hope we start acidic before June.. :D
:confused:
What order are you doing the topics in?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
velox said:
can u bring your own?
Burette, yes (school does have some good burettes, need to use a few of them to determine which one is better). Pipette, not sure but I think you can. Seriously, the ones UNSW gave us were plastic, which I'm sure will deform if pressed.

As for other equipments, probably not, and not like it makes any difference.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It's not until June, so there's still plenty of time to practise. My class isn't up to titrations yet, but we're almost there...I think we're going to do about 5 titrations just over the next week or so, but I'm definitely sure you're not the only one who's unprepared (like me :p)
:) well i guess that makes me feel better. for some reason, i thought it was much earlier. i'm so lost. i have exams for the next couple of wks. so, we only have today [and part of wk 11] left to do some work. don't think we'd get much done but meh...

oh, i think it might be a good idea to go to http://www.raci.org.au/ and type in something like 'titration competition' or 'regional titration competition' in the search. but all the links that come up are for south australia. but i guess it's still kinda relevant

ishq

brown?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
:confused:
What order are you doing the topics in?
PoM, and Shipwrecks done - Dunno if we are doing Monitoring or Acids next....
We're unique!
:D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
ishq said:
PoM, and Shipwrecks done - Dunno if we are doing Monitoring or Acids next....
We're unique!
:D
Hmm...according to my teacher, my class is kind of behind.
We've done POM and we're now doing the 4th section of TAE (titrations etc.)...I'm not sure how my class's progress compares to the rest of the state.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
table for 1 said:
you don't get money, if that's what you mean. or at least i don't think so

i think that if your result is really really close to the real result, you win like a gold medallion.

check http://www.raci.org.au/sa/ChemEd/nationalfinalmethod.html - scroll right to the bottom
I think there are cash prizes for the National Finals though...only a medal for the Regionals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)