Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

crazyfrog

HSC
Does anyone know the results from the UNSW venue??? Or where i may find the results?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
table for 1 said:
but anyways, my friend finished early, and so she was doing the calculations. and then we were checking hers. and i got a completely different answer. and this was in the last 10 mins, so by now, we were very panicky. and then i checked the others, and i couldn't think straight because of the time pressure. but and they were all different ! and so yeah, some more panicking. and then we realised that i totally stuffed up, because i thought the concentration of HCl was 0.1M, when it was 0.1234M or something along those lines. so luckily, we changed it in time. think how stuffed we would have been if they listened to me.

wow. that's all i have to say.

ps. i'm so slow to reply. so sorry !

wow... all the groups from my school got above 200 ... even the super smart students who always get so unbelievably high in every single exam. but i guess it's practically and skills, not knowledge, but still.
haha i made a calculation error too, my acetic acid turned out to be 0.8xxx mol instead of 0.1xxx. i had to get my friend to do it for me, luckily she got it right even though she was under major pressure because the time was already up and the supervisor kept on nagging us to hand in the results sheet.

yeah titration doesn't have much to do with how well you do in exams. imo it's all about practice+luck+good eyesight+knowing the process really well.

ps. no it's okay! :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
yeah titration doesn't have much to do with how well you do in exams. imo it's all about practice+luck+good eyesight+knowing the process really well.
+ teamwork
You have to co-ordinate yourself well when you only have one pipette filler per group and you end up finishing your titrations at the same time.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
how come you only had 1 pipette filler per group?!
The sheet said 1 x pipette filling device per group, or something along those lines...the supervisor told us to put 2 of our pipette fillers at the front. Most of the other teams also brought 3 so they did the same. A team from my school almost got disqualified for having 2 too many pipette fillers and burette funnels, but luckily they weren't in the end.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
oh my god. which centre was that?

shore supplied us with 3 each team, but each person from my school had his/her own. plus they gave us droppers and extra acids/base/water when we asked, i guess we were just lucky.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:

shore supplied us with 3 each team, but each person from my school had his/her own. plus they gave us droppers and extra acids/base/water when we asked, i guess we were just lucky.
VERY lucky.
I really wanted a dropper at that time...
and you guys got unlimited acid/base
>.<" i guess macq uni is just.. crappy.. :)

crazyfrog

HSC
table for 1 said:
what you do:
- titrate HCl with NaOH. minimum 2 readins, max = 4
- titrate acetic acid with NaOh. min = 2, max = 4
- average and work out concentration of NaOH, then the concentration of acetic acid
omg when we did it, we didn't know that we didn't have to do all 4 readings, so as we were running out of time and NaOH, we decided to make up results... well, hope it worked out ok...

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
meLoncoLLie said:
what !? unfair ! the supervisor specified what we were and were not allowed to have. so she took our extra pipette fillers and funnels. my friend ended up sucking up the acids with her mouth when one of us were using the filler. and she didn't let us use our droppers. and i didn't think she would give us extra solutions [besides distilled water], but then, we kinda ran out of time to finish it all anyway. still... not the point. the droppers would have made it so much easier for us!

anti-mathmite said:
haha i entered the titrat. comp in 2003 and i stuffed up so badly. My accuracy was wayyyyyyyyyy off (because i hated doing it).
hey! how come you entered in 2003?? i thought it was only for yr 11 and 12 students.

crazyfrog said:
omg when we did it, we didn't know that we didn't have to do all 4 readings, so as we were running out of time and NaOH, we decided to make up results... well, hope it worked out ok...
haha... that's why you read the sheet they gave you :) except, i only read it in the morning, in the car as my dad drove me there, and it said so many times that you had to wear safety goggles at all times. i forgot to bring mine. and so did my friends. so we were a bit worried that they wouldn't let us do it, but they provided us with them anyway. except we didn't use them. the supervisor didn't say anything. i hate safety goggles! they make everything a bit misty, and it's just annoying.

anyways, i was going to make up my results too, because i was getting such crappy results for the HCl + NaOH one, but then i thought that it'll either improve my final result, or stuff me up. so i didn't take that risk.

but how come you don't know how you did yet? meh.. i'm sure they'll tell you sooner or later. i'm hoping they send us our individual scores, because i didn't check that on the day. i want a certificate! does anyone know what total score you need to get to get like a certificate of credit or excellence??

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Sucking up the acids with her mouth!??! gosh that's a bit perilous...

About the scores of each certificate...

< or = 100 certificate of excellence
< or = 200 certificate of credit
> 200 certificate of participation

Hope that's the answer you want! :)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
stuffed up on last Satuday

Last Saturday was really disarstrous for my team... one of my teammate broke the top of the burrette... so she used the broken one to finish up all her individual expt. We just narrowly missed out national final==+- and one team from Ruse got the trophy

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
narrowly missed out national final?
how are you so sure?

I thought the institute has to rank all the marks from all schools first before selecting school/s for the national final...

awww don't worry sirius black, it's more to do with hving a great day and gaining experience. :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sirius Black said:
Last Saturday was really disarstrous for my team... one of my teammate broke the top of the burrette... so she used the broken one to finish up all her individual expt. We just narrowly missed out national final==+- and one team from Ruse got the trophy
Ruse...so that means you were at PLC like me.
The Ruse team that won got 120 or something didn't they, which means they don't even get a Certificate of Excellence?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:

lol...very lucky indeed.
We had to use the acid/base that we had, 1 pipette filler per group, the guy didn't give me a texta to label my glassware with (even though I should've brought my own) etc etc.

HSC
(^o^) said:
Sucking up the acids with her mouth!??! gosh that's a bit perilous...

About the scores of each certificate...

< or = 100 certificate of excellence
< or = 200 certificate of credit
> 200 certificate of participation

Hope that's the answer you want! :)
for the group or individual?

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Ruse...so that means you were at PLC like me.
The Ruse team that won got 120 or something didn't they, which means they don't even get a Certificate of Excellence?
@ Casmira: for the certs, I'm talking about individual. You don't get certs as a team.

~ ReNcH ~:
As person A + person B + person C = 120
The whole team will get a cert of excellent for sure.
Their scores MUST be 10, 2 and 4 (square it, 100 + 4 +16 = 120)
So one student just got into the excellent requirement :p Lucky :p

Didn't your place explain all of this to you?! :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)