Tips, Tricks and Advice for the HSC (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually MSN proved vital during my HSC year. It was helpful because it allowed discussion between my friends and myself on internal assessments, and I could communicate with people I didn't see every day (for example, in my extension English classes) and discuss notes and concepts. Sometimes I'd help my friends with problems or questions (or vice versa), and this would actually help me learn my content more thoroughly.

Sometimes you need that extra support and communication, rather than trying to become an introverted cocoon of study and homework.
we basically used a chain mail to get a similar thing going. It was more flexible than msn because people are on at different times and stuff.

You still do need msn tho if you want to get in touch with your tutors or something. Make sure you set your status on "appear offline" tho.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Mate, what if you need MSN to ask people questions about homework? I often need to ask for help in homework.
mmz you are certainly correct there. MSN is quite a useful tool, not only for studying/keeping up to date with new work but also just having chat and so its a good stress buster. The main point I meant was that once you sit down on the computer you start off checking your mail or msning for 5 mins and 1 hour later you're still there. If you're goining to do some work on the comp, remove all distractions i.e. don't turn on msn. Check your email once and then say to yourself, I will check it tommorow or only once before i sleep.

Actually MSN proved vital during my HSC year. It was helpful because it allowed discussion between my friends and myself on internal assessments, and I could communicate with people I didn't see every day (for example, in my extension English classes) and discuss notes and concepts. Sometimes I'd help my friends with problems or questions (or vice versa), and this would actually help me learn my content more thoroughly.

Sometimes you need that extra support and communication, rather than trying to become an introverted cocoon of study and homework.
+1

It's a good communication device, but just set yourself limits as to between when and when you are going to use it. Time management is critical. And yes, MSN can help reduce stress by talking to your friends. But, if you do this, then maybe cut down on the tv.

Last edited:

Paradox.101

HSC
What's up with everyone and taking dot points on a word doc. on the computer after school?
I traditionally write up everything I need to know + homework questions in my excercise book and I'd look over it before an exam.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
What's up with everyone and taking dot points on a word doc. on the computer after school?
I traditionally write up everything I need to know + homework questions in my excercise book and I'd look over it before an exam.
Essentially, what writing out dot points does is break down the whole year's work into small parts. It works effectively for those who like to do tasks systematically. Also it ensures that you won't be missing any understanding of information so when you can go into the exam you know that you know everything. After that it is just a matter of practice through past papers and questions.

Personally, whatever i wrote in my excercise book, i barely looked at again. I'd prefer to handwrite it out again, a bit neater and with more information and because it's under dot points its more structured so for quick reference later on it good. But that's me. It's whatever works for you, everyone is different and so the way they operate or understand is different. Some people prefer to type them up because they can continually add more information and they liked typed notes. For english, i'd end up typing the notes up again, because I usually typed up my essays. But for chemistry and physics i used mulitple textbooks and handwrote my notes because at school we didn't cover every dot point in detail.

If you enjoy working in a book versus computer, print out a copy of the syllabus and write your notes out in a 5 multi-subject book. You can use your school notes as a supplementary text and basically when your looking at each dot point, think of it as a question and then write whatever underneath. That way when you look back before a test, you will have a complete source of information in front of you that is structured and easy to need, and you can go in with the confidence that you haven't missed out any point they can ask you on.

Writing them out again instead of just reading from your school book will also reinforce the concepts and enable you to memorise those key details, so you will essentially remember for longer.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
HOW DO WE STOP PROCRASTINATING?!
Sit down with your stuff, stfu and just do it. No complaining. Make it through the first 40 mins and you're good to go.

There are no excuses for not being able to do 40 mins of work constantly.

For all you procrastinators out there...

Eh, I'll start in 5 mins... Shut up. Set an alarm for 2 mins.

Not in a good mood? Your bad mood is because you have stuff to do but can't (won't) "do it". Solution? Look below.

Think you need to 'warm up' before working? Yeah alright, do something easy, ie reading over something. THEN do the harder stuff.

I don't feel like it. Just cbb! So? Change your shit attitude to work and get it done! No one EVER feels like studying.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
So do you guys recommend neglecting homework if it's not efficient? Such as doing Physics questions out of the textbook?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you have been given homework, then you should do it. However, extra homework, which is not mandatory, you could skip if it is ineffective.

Deathless

HSC
HSC Exams coming soon?

Does anyone know how many days till the final HSC exams begin? I heard it was 120-50 something? Anyone know the exact amount of days, counting from today?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Re: HSC Exams coming soon?

Does anyone know how many days till the final HSC exams begin? I heard it was 120-50 something? Anyone know the exact amount of days, counting from today?
It's Feburary now? You still have months of happiness with internal assessments :).

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC

I wouldn't focus too much on it. One block at a time. at the moment, you should be focusing on your upcoming exams, whether they be Half Yearly or term exams or whatever.

jblack01

HSC

they start on the 14th of Oct so work out the days

random boy

HSC

OMFG! I start my HSC at TAFE on monday and im meant to be in year 11 at school but im doing pathways at TAFE (3 prelim and hsc subs combined in one year for the next 2)

I better pull my head out if there that soon as im sitting some this year :S
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I cant seem to find the exma timetable ANYWHERE! I am pretty sure trials are in August though..

PodiatryA

HSC

Haha :p

My HSC trials have been moved to the end of Term 2, i was like..this is a massive joke. So i better put myself into gear and get lots of work done. It's all going to hit us so fast.

Deathless

HSC

Well at least we should be thankful we didn't do IB who had year 11 count...

speedofsound

HSC

who cares

as if anyone could be bothered counting down. as if anyone would want to

twistedrebel

HSC

14th october, go countdown the days

NewiJapper

HSC

If you don't do a language or music, consider yourself lucky. We have our oral parts of the HSC exam somewhere in the middle of Term 3 :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)