Tips for Year 10? (1 Viewer)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
hm alright, thank you all!
so complete all hwk, study for exams and chillax. enjoy year 10 while I can. yes can do :)
Since you want to do Ext 2 Math in year 12 don't fall behind in maths build up good skills to help you with ext 1 in Year 11.

kev-

HSC
Since you want to do Ext 2 Math in year 12 don't fall behind in maths build up good skills to help you with ext 1 in Year 11.
haha, i love maths so i'm not worrying about it. English is my problem :-(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I'm not sure about, like 10unit or 12 units in total for subjects? I don't know ANYTHING about it..

but i want to do:
English Advanced
Maths ext 1 and 2
Physics
Chemistry..

that's all i have in mind so far..
Okay so basically the Asian 4, don't worry I'm not surprised!
English Advanced - Not much preparation needed but try your best to improve your analytical skills and essay writing skills throughout the year. Improving your creative writing is also a good idea! Learn all your language and visual techniques! Your school should prepare you for Year 11 by introducing you to an area of study along the way.
Maths Extension 1 and Advanced (2U + 3U) - If you know all your Year 10 Level 3 Mathematics due to tutoring or something, start Year 11 work now, if you're not doing it in tutor or something already. Study ahead of school if you don't go tutor!
Physics and Chemistry - You can say get lost to the Biology topics in Year 10! The Physics and Chemistry topics in Year 10 are good for foundation for Year 11! But, they re-cover everything in Year 11 anyways.
Go on the board of studies website and get the syllabus for preliminary Chem and Phys and start answering the learn to/learn about syllabus dot points! Year 10 science does not require much effort so just start Year 11 work for Chem and Phys.

So far, you have 9 units which means you need a 1 unit subject and another 2 unit subject!
1 unit subjects could be like Studies of Religion 1 (SOR 1), Sports, Lifestyle and Recreation (SLR), Photography, etc. Most 1 unit courses only last for Year 11 only so they're terminating courses for the exception of SOR which you can do in Year 12 for the HSC as well!
As for another 2 unit course, there are two subjects that complete the Asian 5 the best: Biology and Economics
But you can do something else you may be interested in like Modern History, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Software Design Development, Engineering Studies, etc.

Year 11 requires you to do a minimum of 12 units.
Year 12 requires you to do a minimum of 10 units. (Extension 2 Mathematics, Extension 2 English, Extension History, Extension Languages are only offered in Year 12 UNLESS you are an accelerated student)

If you get a headstart now, there's really nothing that can stop you from getting the perfect ATAR of 99.95.
Since you go Hurlstone, do you live in the Cabra/Fairfield regions? If so, go to PEAK for Phys/Chem and go to Truongs OR Peak for Mathematics if you haven't already!

Also, welcome to BoS and enjoy your stay!

kev-

HSC
HAHAAH, I like your "Asian 4" and "Asian 5" terms.. it's funny because they are the asian subjects!
For english, I was thinking reading more, familiarising myself with more texts and increasing my vocab! And yes, analysing texts is also definitely on my list.. need to get my brain off the 'Sleep' mode :( . Maths i don't need worrying about, have truongs :) . I'm pretty sure i can keep up with physics and chemistry, just need to concentrate harder in class! haha

Still deciding about the 1unit and 2unit subjects that I'm going to have to do.. still need more thinking. also, it's already been decided for me that I am going to do physics and chem at Peak, LOL. most likely going to attend english tutoring as well, not truongs though..heard it's not good there :S

thanks for the long post, it was very helpful, definitely +1 :D

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
HAHAAH, I like your "Asian 4" and "Asian 5" terms.. it's funny because they are the asian subjects!
For english, I was thinking reading more, familiarising myself with more texts and increasing my vocab! And yes, analysing texts is also definitely on my list.. need to get my brain off the 'Sleep' mode :( . Maths i don't need worrying about, have truongs :) . I'm pretty sure i can keep up with physics and chemistry, just need to concentrate harder in class! haha

Still deciding about the 1unit and 2unit subjects that I'm going to have to do.. still need more thinking. also, it's already been decided for me that I am going to do physics and chem at Peak, LOL. most likely going to attend english tutoring as well, not truongs though..heard it's not good there :S

thanks for the long post, it was very helpful, definitely +1 :D
Mrs Diab from truongs is quite reputable for English...

Oh wait, I shouldn't be talking to Hurlstoners since I rejected the Hurlstone Year 11 2012 placement offer last year :/
Don't wanna mess with the Truong and PEAK prodigies! :O

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Just chill in year 10. Do your homework, study a week in advance for tests, but otherwise, year 10 is a breeze. And you re-cover most things in the beginning of prelim anyway so its ok if you forget everything :)

delian

HSC
N/A
don't study, it's w waste of time and energy.
Don't work yourself excessively, but at the same time try to do the best you can. You want to get into the mindset that you are aiming for the top, so then you will panic less in yr11 and 12.

Yeah, enjoy yr 10.

ShaxBOS

HSC
Year 10 doesnt mean shit, if you want to do well in school just show up for most lessons and hand in your homework and assessments. Study a few days before the exams and that's it. I jigged most of the year, never did my homework but I didn't get kicked out or anything, and passed my sc exams. Just don't do this in year 11 lol.
In year 12 you would kick yourself if you got very sick and had to miss a lesson, study hours daily+homework, and cram months before the exams. Year ten is a breeze mate. Just enjoy your last easy academic year.

Last edited:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Year 10 is a great time for trolling in exams. For example, trolling a PDHPE exam is quite fun and yes, I'm year 10 as well. As basically every other person has said, having some basic foundation in study is good and I'm sure RivalryofTroll (always writes essay answers to bosers' questions) basically answered all your questions in regards to year 10. Welcome to the minority club of year 10! :D

russ3l

HSC
I studied for 4 hrs straight like two days ago! And it was shit boring :D

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Year 10 doesnt mean shit, if you want to do well in school just show up for most lessons and hand in your homework and assessments. Study a few days before the exams and that's it. I jigged most of the year, never did my homework but I didn't get kicked out or anything, and passed my sc exams. Just don't do this in year 11 lol.
In year 12 you would kick yourself if you got very sick and had to miss a lesson, study hours daily+homework, and cram months before the exams. Year ten is a breeze mate. Just enjoy your last easy academic year.
^ this. lol

nazfiz

HSC
Bludge while you can in year 10
This.
Yr 11 is a massive leap relative to yr 10. So yeah enjoy yourself but also try to get slightly ahead, especially in maths since you stated you wanted to do 4 unit.

Aceitachi

HSC
just do your best in english and thats all, i did not do any h/w/classwork thoughtout the yr and when assigments cam i did them in the previous night, and i manged to get 5's in sc all rounder :p just have FUN AND ENJOY your last yr of that cause when your in yr 11 and 12 your not gonna have any of that :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 10- How to suceed
Don't overstudy
Hand in your assessment tasks on time
Do your homework
Show up to class
Study for half yearlies/yearlies 1-2 weeks max before (providing that you've been doing the work for the majority of the year so you know the content)

You guys don't have SC yeah, lol. That thing was a piece of crap. I got band 5's and 6's and I came to class term all of term 4 with my laptop loaded with games. That thing is so over exaggerated.

Yeah, take it seriously, but don't.. you know? :D

Magical Kebab

HSC
When I was in year 10, I was taking it very seriously at the start after a couple of weeks...
So your main goals should be,
Do your homework + assignments,
Pay ATTENTION in class (that's enough for year 10)
Study for 1/2 extra after homework, then before exams study.

Don't kill urself, yr ten means shit though you should get a general understanding of the concepts of the subjects you wish to undertake in year 11, ie I did extra work for Maths + sciences cos I liked them and I chose them this year.
I literally just slept in geography. History I liked but didn't study for.

So basically, pay attention but have fun.

gleeek

HSC
Study, do well BUT HAVE FUN! I cannot stress the importance of enjoying year 10, as it's your last year of freedom until the end of the HSC or maybe even ever haha (I JK) JUST DO NOT STRESS. I made that mistake. HAVE FUN! Prepare yourself for year 11, choose your subjects wisely, develop good study habits and you'll be just fine :)

Levity

HSC
When selecting your classes make sure they are subjects you enjoy. Also don't always think the subject you plan to drop is what you will drop in the end you might do badly in another subject and have to keep your non preferred subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)