Tips for Year 10? (1 Viewer)

kev-

HSC
This is my first thread, so please excuse any mistake I make.

So I'm currently in Year 10 right now (not a lot of year 10s in BoS..), do you guys have any tips? Like, should I still chillax, or start to harden up?

any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

enoilgam

HSC
You should probably develop some good study habits and work on your study techniques, as this will prepare you well for year 12. Other then that, dont stress too much or overwork yourself in year 10 - try and enjoy it because its probably the best year of high school.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Strive to do your best but if you trip up, don't get stressed about it.

It's a good way to practice for your senior years when you have to identify what you've done wrong and consequently rectify those failings for future assessments and exams. As enoilgam said, Year 10 is a good trial run so make the most of it.

Most importantly though, have fun.

findx

HSC
Identify study strategies and techniques for senior years. e.g. how long you can concentrate for, when do you study best, which studying method suits you. Attend some lectures for Yr11+12 to get a head start.

Yr10 study is simple
1. Do you homework on time
2. Complete a chapter review or practice essay etc. for the topics in the exam, a few nights before the exam

kev-

HSC
thanks for the replies :)
I've recently moved to Hurlstone Ag, and i expected it to be stress stress. I was surprised when 3/4 of the teachers are actually more humane than my old school, so that's good.

btw, does anyone know if the SC is going to be replaced with anything?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
thanks for the replies :)
I've recently moved to Hurlstone Ag, and i expected it to be stress stress. I was surprised when 3/4 of the teachers are actually more humane than my old school, so that's good.

btw, does anyone know if the SC is going to be replaced with anything?
Hurlstone Ag isn't really that stressful of an environment, everyone's generally cool (mostly)

/ex student

kev-

HSC
Hurlstone Ag isn't really that stressful of an environment, everyone's generally cool (mostly)

/ex student
haha, yeah I agree. The periods go so much quicker because of the friendly atmosphere :).

also, is there a huge difference between Standard English and Advanced English, besides from the scaling?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
haha, yeah I agree. The periods go so much quicker because of the friendly atmosphere :).

also, is there a huge difference between Standard English and Advanced English, besides from the scaling?
Standard and Advanced scale the same, they align differently however.

The core will still be the same (Belonging) though Hurlstone does Strictly Ballroom for Standard and As You Like It (Shakespeare) for Advanced unless they've changed it this year. Obviously, you'll be studying different texts in the 3 modules as well.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
So why does everyone suggest English Advanced over Standard? :S
Standard and Advanced scale the same, they align differently however.

The core will still be the same (Belonging) though Hurlstone does Strictly Ballroom for Standard and As You Like It (Shakespeare) for Advanced unless they've changed it this year. Obviously, you'll be studying different texts in the 3 modules as well.

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
SC will be replaced with your school's own examinations; which is worse because SC made lessons pretty much bludge. It is also extremely difficult to achieve a Band 6 in Standard in comparison to Advanced.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Cause less than 1% of the state gets a band 6 in standard! That means it has TERRIBLE ALIGNING!
They have the same scaling but Advanced has around 5% of the state getting a band 6!
Do Advanced English at least!

For Year 10, I suggest you start on Year 11 work early! Learning ahead will give you a huge advantage!
DO you know what subjects you want to do for HSC and Prelim?

kev-

HSC
Well, I'm not sure about, like 10unit or 12 units in total for subjects? I don't know ANYTHING about it..

but i want to do:
English Advanced
Maths ext 1 and 2
Physics
Chemistry..

that's all i have in mind so far..

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Well, I'm not sure about, like 10unit or 12 units in total for subjects? I don't know ANYTHING about it..

but i want to do:
English Advanced
Maths ext 1 and 2
Physics
Chemistry..

that's all i have in mind so far..
Maths Extension 2 is undertaken in year 12, not offered in Preliminary.

SayWut

HSC
1) Do all your homework and study everything you learnt at school when you get home
2) Study 3 days in advance before exams
3) Go and and chillax every now and then

kev-

HSC
okay.. you guys are going to have to bear with me..

So can I choose a subject, let's say Modern History, then drop it in Year 12 to replace it with maths ext 2?
or is english advanced, maths ext 1, physics and chemistry enough units for prelim?

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
You can drop a subject in year 12 like modern to pick up ext 2 maths.

kev-

HSC
hm alright, thank you all!
so complete all hwk, study for exams and chillax. enjoy year 10 while I can. yes can do :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)