Thoughts on raw mark needed for an E4 (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
That's total bullshit. :p I think changes occur within the -type- of questions asked, not the -format- of the exam.

Cheater. :p
http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths-sample-hsc-draft-st6.pdf

There's a draft for possible multiple choice in Extension I and II.
Stupid, but it's highly likely.

How to hell do you rote learn maths? oO

Sorry, i practise with past papers when i study so i don't know how you would "memorise" answers in maths. It's not like most people would do papers and memorise the answers hoping for the same questions with only different values, or am i wrong? :/
Rote learning for maths is quite simple, you do a variety of different questions and you memorise the exact method to approach each question. I know I rote learned binomial, hence that's why I couldn't do that question (bad I know, but what can I do about it now).

HSC
How to hell do you rote learn maths? oO

Sorry, i practise with past papers when i study so i don't know how you would "memorise" answers in maths. It's not like most people would do papers and memorise the answers hoping for the same questions with only different values, or am i wrong? :/
LOL i have a friend who memorises EVERY single maths question he does without trying, its soo funny, you give him a question and he'll know what year it was + the answer LOL in our half yearly most of our questions was based on the questions in the success one book, he had already known the answers to over half the questions before he even started

He still did good yesterday

jules.09

HSC
I'm really shit at Perms and Combs, honestly, like, I have more chance guessing than actually doing it and hoping to get it right...

But yeah, only question where I've 'remembered' the answer. Just happened to be the only perms and combs question I have ever got. Ever. :p
HAHAHAHA. So lucky damn it. Do you convey on you a four leaf clover or some other item of luck into these exams?

the-derivative said:
Rote learning for maths is quite simple, you do a variety of different questions and you memorise the exact method to approach each question. I know I rote learned binomial, hence that's why I couldn't do that question (bad I know, but what can I do about it now).
Really? Maybe this is where I went wrong. Haven't attempted to rote learn anything. Last dedicated effort to rote learning was in year 2, and it was my times tables haha. With binomial, that question wasn't that bad.

The only thing I couldn't do out of that section was the first part, I only gp summed it and then was at a loss, but the last 3 marker there was interpretation of the previous sections and manipulation.

I still think it was a hard exam lol. :shy:

shady145

Banned
HSC
Binomial is the only different style of question I could see.

Because for the past decade, so many students are 'wrote' learning; therefore there has been a rapid increase in Band 6s (especially in 2007 - and those exams were a joke) - are we getting smarter as a state? I think not. Therefore the Board has designed these exams to eliminate wrote learning and to test real knowledge. Although this screwed me over with the binomials question - rest of the exam was fine though tbh.
perhaps more people are studying now, hence an increase in knowledge of topics---- increase in band 6's

jules.09

HSC
perhaps more people are studying now, hence an increase in knowledge of topics---- increase in band 6's
We should think so, after all, the bands aren't based on a ranking cut off but personal achievement. I'm talking aligned marks though, the ATAR is a rank.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Teehee ;)

Anyway, lots of maths actually requires rote learning. Just think about it.
Do you really understand differentiation? Do you remember it from the definition of first principles? No, not the formula that takes 2 minutes to memorise, but all the limits involved as the secant of the curve gets smaller and smaller (or w/e I don't even know).
Do you know how that explanation became the first principles formula? Do you understand why you can just do x^n -> nx^(n-1)? Does it just happen or is there more explanation involved.

That's just one example. Off the top of my head, I've rote learned some of binomials, differentiation, differentiation by first principles, integration, integration by first principles (wait is there such thing?), finance, APs and GPs (all you do is memorise the formulae) and the limiting sums, exponential functions and growth/decay, some of circle geometry, all that degree -> radian crap, double angles and other identities for trig.
Okay I cbf listing anymore, and those are only for 3u. I'd imagine that most people who don't do physics would rote learn projectile motion as well.
Or maybe that's just why I do really bad?

untouchablecuz

HSC
Teehee ;)

Anyway, lots of maths actually requires rote learning. Just think about it.
Do you really understand differentiation? Do you remember it from the definition of first principles? No, not the formula that takes 2 minutes to memorise, but all the limits involved as the secant of the curve gets smaller and smaller (or w/e I don't even know).
Do you know how that explanation became the first principles formula? Do you understand why you can just do x^n -> nx^(n-1)? Does it just happen or is there more explanation involved.
i do

:eek:

untouchablecuz

HSC
The relationship between a person’s recommended maximum heart rate
(in beats/minute) and the person’s age (in years) was expressed by the following
formula:

R1 : Recommended maximum heart rate = 220 − age

Recent research has shown that this formula should be modified to:

R2 : Recommended maximum heart rate = 208 − (0.7 × age)

Does the new formula have the effect of increasing or decreasing the
recommended maximum heart rate for each person’s age, or does it increase for
some ages and decrease for others?

Support your answer with relevant calculations and/or graphs.

hsc english all over again

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Damn I guess I'm just stupid then
Oh well
By the way, why would Physics have 20 multiple choice questions? Official notices > Peers

youngminii

Banned
HSC
The relationship between a person’s recommended maximum heart rate
(in beats/minute) and the person’s age (in years) was expressed by the following
formula:

R1 : Recommended maximum heart rate = 220 − age

Recent research has shown that this formula should be modified to:

R2 : Recommended maximum heart rate = 208 − (0.7 × age)

Does the new formula have the effect of increasing or decreasing the
recommended maximum heart rate for each person’s age, or does it increase for
some ages and decrease for others?

Support your answer with relevant calculations and/or graphs.

hsc english all over again
OH MY GOD
It's the Englishification of Maths! Just like they butchered all the Science subjects
Fucking BoS (no not this one :))

raniaaa

:)
HSC
Oh yeah, I've seen that, except, what Raniaa was suggesting that the format would change this year without informing us. That is extremely unlikely.
eh that's what le teacher said.. i hope it stays at 15 though i suck at multiple choice

edit: just msged & asked her, and she said yes there's 20... again, if there's not don't eat me :(

Last edited:

Thecorey0

HSC
eh that's what le teacher said.. i hope it stays at 15 though i suck at multiple choice

edit: just msged & asked her, and she said yes there's 20... again, if there's not don't eat me :(
It comes into effect next year. On the Board of Studies, it says Biology has only 15 mutliple choice for this year's paper, and hence Physics and Chemistry will have the same. The 2010 syllabi say that 20 will be implemented for the core - options stay the same. Personally having 20 quesions from 3 areas seems quite un-even.

danielf747

HSC
N/A
Lol easy mode test........ 81/84. sad excuse for circle geometry in question 7.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
do they take marks off for carry on errors? say for e.g the volume q , if u got the volume wrong, then ur rate would have been wrong...
if ur method is right do they give u marks LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)