Thoughts on Frankenstein/Bladerunner (1 Viewer)

georgefren

HSC
Both shit, boring texts that you wouldnt fork out money for on your own free will. But theyre easy enough to compare for the purposes of english. and at least its better than bloody dickens again.

AZIDA

HSC
hey. i wanna watch blade runner.
but im not sure if we have to watch the;
director's cut - 1992 - no voice over + unicorn scene

OR

the original release - 1982 - with voice over.

the board of studies prescribed text list says; blade runner - director's cut - 1982 > which is contradictory

Can someone help me out?

pawabola

HSC
AZIDA said:
hey. i wanna watch blade runner.
but im not sure if we have to watch the;
director's cut - 1992 - no voice over + unicorn scene

OR

the original release - 1982 - with voice over.

the board of studies prescribed text list says; blade runner - director's cut - 1982 > which is contradictory

Can someone help me out?
Watch the director's cut edition from 1982..

AZIDA

HSC
pawabola said:
Watch the director's cut edition from 1982..

but the board of studies says "The authorised Director’s Cut (1992, re-released 2006) is being phased out."

and also says "The Final Cut (2007) is also acceptable, as differences are minimal." but the final cut, unlike the 1982 version does not have voice -overs.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The one we used for school had a unicorn in it. But I'm not sure if the other cuts have unicorns in them. :p

bored of sc

HSC
Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is tedius but somewhat intriguing. The techniques of music and lighting are used very effectively in this film.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
I hate this unit soo very much. My teacher said she was sorry she had to teach it, she would have rather transformations but alas it was cut and the new prescriptions were phased in. :snowman:

kara42

HSC
I love Blade Runner, it's one of my favourite movies.
At first I didn't understand it, but upon further viewing I really like it.

Frankenstein, though, not so much.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Both texts didn't particulary appeal to me when we were told.

But after we started to break it all down and start picking them to pieces, I have got a whole new interest for both texts.

I might just make it through this module.

Kaatie

HSC
can someone explain the whole writing letters thing to me? is the whole book ALL letters?

bored of sc

HSC
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein film version 1994 is wonderful, really impressive.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Guy's it could always be worse... we could have done P&P.
My teacher was going to do it but after the disaster that was reading Emma in Extension 1 in Year 11 (no one finished it and resented it so very much) she gave up.

BR and Frankenstein weren't really that bad, I think Frankenstein is such an interesting text due to the context in which Mary Shelley was writing, the whole issue of animating life is still discussed today.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, to be honest, I'm quite thankful we did BR/Frankenstein as opposed to something like P&P. Especially going to an all guy's school and all

erm

HSC
It's a pity you guys missed out on reading Brave New World...I found that an excellent book and I wasn't forced to finish reading it.

henry.yu

HSC
I'm usually ok with texts when I read through them, and get through them fairly fast, however going through them again and again takes the fun out of it.

As for frank, it felt like a let down after all its hyped up to be.

Asherah

HSC
I'm feeling a bit let down with going through these two texts. I don't feel like we're going into any depth. Has anyone got any good external notes?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Frankenstein is great. Excellently written and is an overall great cautionary tale - exposing fundamental human flaws. The letters are used as a sort of sub-plot to foreshadow what will happen to Victor Frankenstein. Also, it is interesting to note that when juxtaposed, Walton's story and Victor's story are quite similar, as both are seeking glory in varying fields of endeavour - particularly exploration and science.

As for Bladerunner, we've only just started watching it - looks great so far.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Can't understand why everyone thinks Blade Runner is terrible- I thought it was great, despite the pacing jarring massively with the abrupt ending.

Frankenstein is meh- just like Austen's Emma. Brave New World would be a way better book to study imo...

bored of sc

HSC
Bladerunner is a detective, science fiction and gothic/horror film. All these genres are also integrated in Shelly's Frankenstein (detective = when Justine is trialled, science fiction = entire idea of electrifying dead into life, and gothic/horror = deaths of loved ones, monster/creature etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)