The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

Clank_

HSC
So what is it?
If the amount is between $0 and $35 with a credit card, they have to insert their card, and it will go through automatically (like on the old pinpads).
If its between $35 and $100 they can tap & go with a credit card.
I believe the so long as the amount is <$100 (the default paypass amount; the retailer sets their own threshold) they can tap and go. Not too sure what the amount would be for inserting the card though I assume it would be the same. Do the new paypass pinpads really still disallow 'credit' on debit cards? If so that's pretty stupid and is gonna confuse quite a few people.

the way to go

HSC
So what is it?
If the amount is between $0 and $35 with a credit card, they have to insert their card, and it will go through automatically (like on the old pinpads).
If its between $35 and $100 they can tap & go with a credit card.

All other amounts need to be swiped/inserted.
Am I right? Cause that sounds rather stupid.
I wonder if they will ever let debit cards be used again with credit function. I get this feeling they might... but it's probably wishful thinking.
$0-$35 cant be paid for with paypass (only at woolworths) i assume because of the existing >$35 no pin/sign rule, they conflict
$35-$100 paywave, no pin
$100+ can still paywave, but have to type in pin as well

it sounds stupid because it IS stupid.

i think they might allow all cards with paywave/paypass once ALL the eftpos terminals are replaced, so its a system wide change
(i vaguely remember reading this somewhere...)

I believe the so long as the amount is <$100 (the default paypass amount; the retailer sets their own threshold) they can tap and go. Not too sure what the amount would be for inserting the card though I assume it would be the same. Do the new paypass pinpads really still disallow 'credit' on debit cards? If so that's pretty stupid and is gonna confuse quite a few people.
its not the new pin pads, woolworths hasnt accepted credit on debit since April 2010.

the way to go

HSC
with the ipads, so instead of sitting in an office, theyre gunna stand in the middle of an aisle, and answer emails, while getting distracted by customers asking for price checks and complaints...

yup, sounds great for productivity, but good to see all the new features in those apps, im know some of those have been much wanted at my store.
and hopefully the duty managers will be able to use it when the managers aren't around!

nanakid12

HSC
Didn't get 2ic. Bit disappointed, but I've gotten over it now. Means I can post still! :D (everyone else: oh christ)

Yammer is great! We had it at a company I worked for over the summer. It's like Facebook for work. Good to see Woolies fully embracing all forms of IT!
Although I initially was pretty annoyed at Store Managers getting iPads (seemed like an unnecessary luxury), the fact that they have managed to transfer so many applications/systems on to it makes it seem like a positive step forward...
Is it like a public website that we can go to? Or can we only access it from the workstations... ? :)

$0-$35 cant be paid for with paypass (only at woolworths) i assume because of the existing >$35 no pin/sign rule, they conflict
$35-$100 paywave, no pin
$100+ can still paywave, but have to type in pin as well

it sounds stupid because it IS stupid.

i think they might allow all cards with paywave/paypass once ALL the eftpos terminals are replaced, so its a system wide change
(i vaguely remember reading this somewhere...)
How insanely irritating. So do you mean that it only accepts Visa cards with Paywave, and not Mastercard PayPass (except the Woolies CCs)? Or do you mean they will possibly accept the debit cards in the future... :)

with the ipads, so instead of sitting in an office, theyre gunna stand in the middle of an aisle, and answer emails, while getting distracted by customers asking for price checks and complaints...

yup, sounds great for productivity, but good to see all the new features in those apps, im know some of those have been much wanted at my store.
and hopefully the duty managers will be able to use it when the managers aren't around!
Yeah, I hate working from my iPad. I don't know how they would be able to do it. Great idea, but too many distractions IMO.

the way to go

HSC
How insanely irritating. So do you mean that it only accepts Visa cards with Paywave, and not Mastercard PayPass (except the Woolies CCs)? Or do you mean they will possibly accept the debit cards in the future... :)
at the moment when the screen changes to "tap here" there's the Visa logo, and the MasterCard logo, and another but I haven't had a good enough look, will on my next shift. but the system only accepts visa credit atm, so I assume it will be allowed in the future. also able to recall our poster about it when it first got installed, it said along the lines of "currently only visa credit is accepted" so dunno about debit cards, but should see MasterCard at some point I can only assume...

either way the no credit on debit rule is still rediculous.

my workmates believe its probably an agreement with visa "if you help us install all these pay wave terminals we'll make it visa only" but I'm somewhat skeptical on that, especially with the MasterCard logo on screen.

apologies if hard to read or not making sense, I'm on my phone.

britto89

HSC
Woolworths most likely doesn't pay (or pays a really small amount) to process EFTPOS transactions since they are a part share with Coles, banks, etc. of the company that runs EFTPOS in australia.

As for the visa/mastercard thing even though the system allows stores to modify the ranges (eg: max transaction, etc.) doesn't mean they should. If the banks set $35 for a tap payment then stores should just accept it to remove any issues at an individual level. Can you imagine how confused people are going to be if say Woolworths group uses $30 as a cutoff but Coles group uses $35. By making it different to the norm they are doing nobody any favours.

In unrelated news i like some of the new ideas being submitted on AllYours. It will be interesting to see how the program works in comparison to I've got an idea.

the way to go

HSC
spot on about eftpos, no charges there, but its the stores that choose the no pin/sign cut off not the banks (at least from everything i've read)

i honestly cant think of a logical reason to deny credit on debit, especially when theres not much savings

i LOVE the innov8ive ideas
my faves:
Staff brochure with barcodes: https://www.allyours.com/benefits/ideas/idea.html?ideaid=136
Service desk printers: https://www.allyours.com/benefits/ideas/idea.html?ideaid=99
PA through registers: https://www.allyours.com/benefits/ideas/idea.html?ideaid=123
Electronic Grids: https://www.allyours.com/benefits/ideas/idea.html?ideaid=68

and for the love of god: https://www.allyours.com/benefits/ideas/idea.html?ideaid=25
so glad someone put this up, VOTE!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Btw on Sunday I printed out the gap scan/area manager meme and put it next to the finger scanner. The whole store LOVEDDDD it but apparently the SM wasn't too impressed and ripped it down.
Rofl. ASM was on the floor laughing almost.

nanakid12

HSC
Btw on Sunday I printed out the gap scan/area manager meme and put it next to the finger scanner. The whole store LOVEDDDD it but apparently the SM wasn't too impressed and ripped it down.
Rofl. ASM was on the floor laughing almost.
Haha! I was going to print off a few, but I haven't yet. The guy who submitted that one was actually the homeshop manager at our store last year. BTW did anyone hear about the Coles Memes page being taken down? I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen to the Woolies one.

Also, CONGRATS on duty manager!! :D

phone check?
whats that?
You know the Mobile ID check in the Everyday Portal? You can access that from the register by going SVR MENU - (second page) ONLINE CHECK - TELCO CHECK.

I love all those ideas, I liked every one of them.

I'm starting to really love Woolworths again. It makes me happy to go to work nowadays. Anyone ever caught up with a girl they met as a customer? I'm thinking it's unprofessional, but I'm gunna start looking... :p (not in a way that defies the company policy, of course) seeing as how Woolies is currently my "primary" social life.

EDIT: Also... is this true? :p (our backward state laws don't allow us to have a liquor department)
309065_332606286832485_988385001_n.jpg

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I've just started working in liquor and love it tbh.
I guess that's probably because I'm more of an introvert that prefers quieter environments and an area that is my own without the stress factor. I've done three 8 hour day shifts in the past week and they have all flown by really quickly.
Easy money! I'm guessing that the novelty will ware off though and it will become dreadful soon (I hope not though).

Btw thanks for the congrats

the way to go

HSC
ahh okay, when you said phone check I was thinking about some sort of fancy store mobile function I didn't know about haha

im still getting around to getting my RSA haha

got told this morning that my store might be getting a front end layout redesign, this happened to anyone else? I'm curious if it all gets done in one night or like over a couple, would seem pretty inconvenient to be missing registers or a service desk for a couple days especially considering how busy my store gets...

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Anyone else's store got the new Phone numbers and phone system? Its pathetic. No longer are calls service 31,32 or 33, its now "Service 30 on 41 OR 51 OR 61" and half the time people can't pick up the calls :(

And for the love of god Woolworths, PLEASE bring back EFT Preswipe. I am so sick of the heaps (probably at least 15 out of a full day) of complaints I get every shift. Pathetic.

nanakid12

HSC
So what happens I you suddenly need the toilet in liquor? :/

Also, noooo don't bring back preswipe!! I love it, everyone's so mad, although on 0.5% of the people who used it knew how to wok it properly. I'm having a field day.

Closing on a Saturday tomorrow by myself (only the second time I've ever done it)! I'm left with three staff, because of a funeral... We are going to get so hammered after it finishes...

britto89

HSC
So what happens I you suddenly need the toilet in liquor? :/

Also, noooo don't bring back preswipe!! I love it, everyone's so mad, although on 0.5% of the people who used it knew how to wok it properly. I'm having a field day.

Closing on a Saturday tomorrow by myself (only the second time I've ever done it)! I'm left with three staff, because of a funeral... We are going to get so hammered after it finishes...
@liquor - If you need the toilet I ring frontend and get them to send someone over. If its been a while and nobody has come then I normally contact the duty manager and ask and if somebody still doesn't come over then I ring saying send someone over within the minute or I'll pull down the door and shut up liquor so i can go.

@preswipe - Customers will get over it. I will most likely just cite the "we could see ppls PINS" line of defence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)