The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Ctrl_Alt_Delete

HSC
N/A
So store managers all got given their new iPads at the conference yesterday. The idea is to allow store managers to spend more time on the shop floor, instead of being tied to their computers. They have also all been given an @woolworths.com.au email address eg. 1141bankstown @woolworths.com.au

Exciting times! Good to see Woolworths introducing new technology into stores.
How would the iPads connect with the store? Does this mean wi-fi to every store? :D

aussie92

HSC
Such a hostile work environment today they're basically telling everyone who works day shift longlife that we all must work new rosters starting from 2pm or else have different roles in the store ie checkouts!!!. Currently starting at 6 till 3pm on my contract this is a nightmare. So sick to death of this horrible company and this is what they give you after 5 years ... another worker told the manager to f off after hearing about the changes! Aparantly HR people will be brought in ... ridiculous acts by so called "managers" its disgraceful!!!

britto89

HSC
How would the iPads connect with the store? Does this mean wi-fi to every store? :D
All stores have had Wifi since we got the black RF guns (which replaced the old brick sized ones). The RF guns and new wireless VOIP phones run on Wifi so the iPads just become an additional client on the network.

It would be interesting if managers can access Storeline Office office and CCTV camera vision which would allow them to watch transactions live as they happen.

nanakid12

HSC
Do any of you guys still receive cigarettes? I was told that we don't have to do it anymore... was so weird that we can suddenly just pack them straight away without having to print out the five sheets of paper, and make sure each and every carton was accounted for.

britto89

HSC
Do any of you guys still receive cigarettes? I was told that we don't have to do it anymore... was so weird that we can suddenly just pack them straight away without having to print out the five sheets of paper, and make sure each and every carton was accounted for.
Essentially what happens nanakid12 is the warehouse allocates money to the store as a percentage of the total value of all deliveries at a SAP level. So whilst you might count and see that the warehouse has short changed you a carton of smokes you wouldn't actually be able to claim it through the warehouse since they already give the store money to account for mispicks and unsupplied items.

You can only claim stuff from the warehouse for a certain amounts of things, for example if you had a whole layer of a pallet of glass jars broken or something.

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah, I was told we only have to report it if there is like a whole box of cigarettes missing or something. But how are we supposed to know a whole box of is missing? Oh well.

Also, you know when sometimes there is still an old special ticket on a certain line, scans it, and it's a higher price, and the customer wants it at the lower price (after being denied a scanning policy :3)... is it against the law to do this? Or is it just some sort of company policy? I've never had to do it, but now that I'm working more day shifts, I know it'll happen sooner or later.
EDIT: BTW, I'm referring to cigarette products ;)

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah, it's for tobacco products. I know about the "No scanning policy on tobacco" thingo, but I was told we aren't even allowed to reduce it down to that special price... whatever it scans at is what they have to pay.

I take it you guys haven't heard this rule? Lol

britto89

HSC
I personally hate that we put smokes on special. all it does is confuse ppl about the price because they buy from us one week and its 12.50 a pack (perhaps on special) and then come in a few days later with exactly 12.50 and strangly enough its gone back up to 12.80 a pack. it should just be illegal to do promotions (whether advertised or not) on cigarettes.

as for your actual question if i had a customer demanding it then i'd firstly state that the scanning code doesn't apply for cigarettes and that we are sorry for the issue (that should get rid of most customers since its not massive price differences). for the ones who want to take it the next level then take it the next level with the supervisor (or if you are the supervisor get the duty manager/store manager).

all that said if i was duty manager and i had an irate customer demanding it and it was only a small price difference i would sell them at full price but split the transaction to be (using the above numbers) 12.50 cash/eftpos/however they are paying and the rest as misc tender. then after they've gone i'd refund a disection dump from smokes department/front of store and pay it out to misc tender to balance the draw and then leave a note explaining your actions, etc. the next time i was in at work i'd ask for clarification on the issue and that would be that.

now before you all jump ontop of me for how i'd deal with it here is my logic. firstly you don't want it to say on the docket or screen that they were reduced to clear or marked down, etc. as i've always been told not to reduce to clear cigarettes and secondly, if you just refunded it on the same transaction then it would also show up on the screen and docket like you are giving them a discount (which i think is illegal in NSW). the way i described above makes it nice and clear to show what you have done (so that if you did it the wrong way then its easy for someone to correct it the next day) and doesn't make it show a price reduction on the docket.

the alternative option would have been to leave the draw 30c out and leave a note explaining to your manager and they can fix it however they like since then its on them.

nanakid12

HSC
I completely agree britto, I HATE that we have specials. They go off special, everyone's suddenly like "Oh, they put up the tax again?" Grrr.

I also thought it was illegal that it says

WINFIELD GREY 25pk $17.25
- PROMOTIONS $0.50

TOTAL: $16.75

but guess not.

Thanks for that method as well, I will keep that in mind. I will likely NEVER use it, because I believe that the customer should be paying every cent for there cigarettes... if they are five cents short, I will not let them have it. Even if they've spent 10 minutes counting loose change from the back of their glove box... no. NO NO NOOOO!!

If I become 2ic, I am going to be really anal about the tickets. I hate being in the position to refuse the customer something.

Also, my final cigarette question... does ANYONE sell Longbeach in the 25s? Everyone asks me for them, we only have 20s, 30s and 40s.

Paypass is so convenient at Coles. WW doesn't even have the credit option so you always have to input your pin.
Yeah, there is going to be so much confusion with the new pinpads. "Oh sorry, that's a debit card, can't use it." BTW has anyone heard any news on the roll-out?

quick90

HSC
The iPads have an Optus sim card. Our store has crap 3G reception, So the iPad is pretty much unusable...

They seem to have screwed up the email accounts, & are trying to fix them atm.

Sounds like there are some exciting things that will happening @ woolworths in the future. Hint: Paypal...

britto89

HSC
The iPads have an Optus sim card. Our store has crap 3G reception, So the iPad is pretty much unusable...

They seem to have screwed up the email accounts, & are trying to fix them atm.

Sounds like there are some exciting things that will happening @ woolworths in the future. Hint: Paypal...
ok then i change my stance about them using the stores wifi. new theory is they use some form of VPN possibly to provide store managers with remote access?

the way to go

HSC
yeah we sell Longbeach 25s :p

i can already confirm the confusion with the new paywave pinpads we've had them for like 4 months now, i feel like such a dick having to apologise everytime a customer gets frustrated with them because THEY DONT WORK.
(they actually do, but only for a select few with the correct accounts on the correct cards purchasing the correct amount, which is just bullshit)

i seriously cant believe woolies refuse credit on debit just because they have to pay a tiny processing fee. they cant possibly be saving that much from it.

just looked it up, they only pay a fee of 0.352% of each transaction amount, and according to woolworths only 1% of customers (5 million transactions) actually used credit on debit and the average transaction is $36.27 sooo....

36.27 * 0.00352 = 0.1276704
0.1276704 * 5,000,000 = $638,352 in savings

yeah, totally worth 5 million complaints.

nanakid12

HSC
So what is it?
If the amount is between $0 and $35 with a credit card, they have to insert their card, and it will go through automatically (like on the old pinpads).
If its between $35 and $100 they can tap & go with a credit card.

All other amounts need to be swiped/inserted.

Am I right? Cause that sounds rather stupid.

I wonder if they will ever let debit cards be used again with credit function. I get this feeling they might... but it's probably wishful thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)