• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the passion by mel gibson (1 Viewer)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Originally posted by walrusbear
'hoy trigger

your summation of the movie is good, yar.
and i'm still wary of seeing the movie, because i don't want to give mel gibson money. i don't think you could possibly argue that the movie holds any spiritual value, and i'm sure that the movie is very affecting for what it shows.
what i can't handle, however, as someone who would like to see the church became more relevant to our own times, is a more progressive approach to faith.
mel gibson makes this movie with the most conservative and fundamentalist agenda ever. it is this i completely object too. as stratton said, using only hebrew language seems gimmicky, and certainly is a step toward distancing relevance. a literal interpretation of christs suffering, based on the gospel, is unnerving as it relies on the same outmoded material of the bible that fundamentalist people use to persecute gays and other minorities. these people, like the film itself, misses the point of jesus. they focus on semantics of a dodgily constructed text (the bibile) rather than what christians should base themselves on, which is jesus' basic ideas of loving.
gibson makes a movie that focuses on the literal beating that the jesus in the bible receives, but misses out on the whole idea. rather than conveying the ideas of love and redemption in the film itself, the gap is left to the viewer to feel responsible, but this is achieved by manipulation of extreme realism and violence.
it all belies the ideas behind the passion of christ.

i'm sure it is well made, and an affecting movie. perhaps someone will convince me to see it someday.

btw, anti-semitic claims seem stupid. and i'm not a whinging prick about the violence. curiosity over its intensity is one of the major drawcards for a temptation to see it :p
ok, no worries. i completely understand where you're coming from...and some of that does tick me off too and i agree with you totally, but its stil (I found) amazing for what it is.

Last edited:

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
The guy in 'frequency' and 'band of brothers' was jesus - they can speak english very well. They had to learn ancient hebrew, and the soldiers spoke street latin. It had subtitles.
I initially didn't want to see the movie - i'm christian, but my excuse was "i don't need to see a 21st century movie to re-enforce my belief in christ"
It was really hard to watch, i found. The majority of the movie was based on jesus getting whipped.

mat

I think if people relied on their own say and not being so arrogant and completely impacted by the media ,people will really recognise this film as a touching experience.

yesterday everybody was praising mel gibson as a living legend, today some stupid secular ignorant group wants to find a way of taking away his credibilaty just because he his not making a film which is based upon their liking or their views.

we all know that hollywood does not want to have anything to do with religion especially ''christianity'', they are more concerned about making movies with extreme sex levels and fairy tale stories like harry potter and lord of the rings. Their have been many violent and brutal films eg: saving private ryan, but because this is a true depiction of the passion of christ, a small group want to stop its release into theatres and deprive the whole world from seeing it just because it doesnt suit their taste.

i personaly was touched by the film and i think if people were to really make their own decisions without being fed a load of bullshit by the media, people will understand what it really is all about.

coming up with excuses that it promotes anti semitism and that it is historically inacurate, is just a way of feeding people with a heap of rubbish not to watch it, because the fact is 90% of people who were peasimistic about the film turned out to be moved by the film as well as its supporters.

At the end of the day the majority of people have accepted the movie and its meaning ,and it has already made $125 million
in its first 5 days alone in the US and it is only the begining of what is left to come.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
true

because there are so man ypagan movies, you don't see people complaining they are not christian etc. and you don't see them being criticised for promoting or not promoting pagan religions.

ParagonAZN

HSC
N/A
Man i saw it wit a couple of riends and it was disturbing. I almost cried in the end which is really unusual for me. Though there was too much violence though. They could have cut down on the violence. they did show a bit of the resurrection in the end.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by ParagonAZN
Man i saw it wit a couple of riends and it was disturbing. I almost cried in the end which is really unusual for me. Though there was too much violence though. They could have cut down on the violence. they did show a bit of the resurrection in the end.
IT WAS A FUCKING CRUCIFIXTION.
wtf do you THINK happens at a crucifixtion?

jaNetix

not just a movie...an experience

i cried thru the last hour of the movie........

if not for the emotion and passion watch it for its nice style and technique.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
i hear this is like the greatest movie.. not to mention extreamly graphical

i think its worth going to see.

jaNetix this gurl at my skool said it was really good n she said she cryed all the way thru the last bit too

Generator

HSC
N/A
Will the sequel involve Indiana Jones and his father? Maybe young Indiana could be brought back to life?

Last edited:

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
hey.. we are seein passion of the christ for ext history!!! whoo hooo!! atlast one good thing abt ext history!!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But that isnt till the second movie. hmm return of the christians should be a good movie though cant wait for the lightsaber seen.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i think theres a prequel about his birth, it was called a new hope. now this one is the jews strike back, and the next one is return of the semite

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Wow... I saw this movie a few nights ago and I have never cried so hard in my life. I was sobbing for the last three quarters of the movie, it was absolutely horrible. As a Christian it really got to me. I think it was fairly well done but I wouldn't watch it again, it was too painful to sit through :p

juggernaut

HSC
yehh totally agree with wat the thread maker bloke said
after i saw it my religious side just got totally reawaken n shit
i wanna go to church now etc hah

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
would have been so much better if Rob Schneider had played Jesus..

Rob Schnieder is............. JESUS!

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
man i really wanna see this movie now, purely because so many people say that they cried.
i think it's an awesome xperience when you get so affected by a piece of art... too bad it doesn't happen too often lately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)