the passion by mel gibson (1 Viewer)

felafel

ah but the term, "manipulate" gives rise to connotations of something bad, as if having faith in God has made people do crazy things?

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Two books i highly recommend are "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith", both by ex-atheist and award-winning journalist Lee Strobel. He was also once a law student @ Yale, and holds a Master of Studies in Law. Strobel has a real knack for answering the tough questions and presenting the evidence coherently.

Asqy and Jannio, i'm praying for you both. :)

and back to the topic: no, i haven't seen "the Passion" yet, but i plan to eventually. Maybe when it comes out on DVD. I never cry in movies, but i know that i will this time...

"He died the death that we deserve, so that we can live the life that He deserves."

^ That's a quote about Jesus that i really like. Sorry, i don't know where it's from, but nevertheless, i like it :)

Hope y'all have a happy easter!

Last edited:

felafel

Originally posted by Asquithian
can see that most wars have their origins in religion?

u didnt adress any of my points
all these wars that are incited by differences in religion are due to human's mistakes - blatant misintepretations of God's word - the bible - nowhere does the bible tell people to kill each other regarding different beliefs!

it's ALL because of man you see!

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004

i say fark religion, its like believing in santa clause
Go and fucking kill yourself.

I will even offer you a pistol to shoot your brains.

Fuck yourself, you worthless piece of shit.

Looks like you have no brains - sure religion can be a factor causing wars, but that is not the main factor - evil / greed is what causes war.

I hate people who discriminate religions, like the way you just did.,

Last edited:

Jannio

This is so much fun!
HSC
N/A
he said many ...he didnt say all

evil and greed sometime has its source in relgion of somekind

he didnt discriminate ...he just doesnt see the benefit of religion.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Jannio
he didnt discriminate ...he just doesnt see the benefit of religion.
Same thing. (To me.)

I think i went overboard with my last message. :eek:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
it's okay asqy. i'll still pray for you. Not because it makes me feel any better. It just sounds like you really need it, that's all.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
asqy, FYI:

...To some extent, you are right (in your assumptions about me). i was raised in a comfortable christian home, went to small christian school, and was overall pretty comfortable in my beliefs, that is, up until about two or three years ago...

you know what? it's taken me at least two or three years of confusion and ups-and-downs to get where i am today - re: faith.

Because internally, i was deceived. I thought the church was only interested in gaining more members so they could make more money. I didn't trust pastors or any clergy. I didn't trust God because i thought he just wanted to use me and manipulate me. i thought that all Christians were soppy, weak-kneed imbeciles - mindless sheep - who needed to lean on their divine "crutch", or else they wouldn't make it in the "real" world. I particularly despised happy christians who seemed to have it all together.

Basically, i went thru on and off periods. At one end of the extreme, I was sincerely seeking a genuine understanding and knowledge of God. At the other end, i thought both God, the Bible, and religion were a complete load. Because i was so confused, I wrote dark poems and diary entries that were riddled with obscene language and blasphemies. I had nightmares about demons, could sense them in my room at night, and thought i was losing my mind. I repeatedly asked God to kill me, and threatened that I'd do it myself if He didn't do it first. Eventually i didn't see a point in living because i was controlled by skepticism, doubt and fear. Fear of surrendering to the unknown...

So you see... i have questioned my beliefs. Through all the stuff that happened, they were still there at the end, only stronger and clearer than ever. God was consistently good to me- He was the one stable point in all that confusion, while i was completely irrational and blinded to the truth.

Once i came to my senses, i realised that i had to at least give God a go. Being at the bottom of the pit, it's not like i had anything to lose, and i figured that perhaps things could get better... there was always a little hope for something better...

so i decided to take a risk... and believe! Truly believe, this time.

yet i wasn't even capable of that!! so i prayed the prayer of the dude in Mark ch.9: "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!"

And He did! Things improved significantly from there. I began to finally accept that, although i didn't have all the answers, it didn't really matter. I figured that, in time, the answers would come. So, somewhat reluctantly, i chose to place everything into God's hands.

Just over four months ago, i was baptised. That was a really amazing and uplifting spiritual experience. But even just before then, i wasn't completely comforable in my beliefs. And still today, here at Avondale, i'm nowhere near 100% certain of some things. It's a growth process.

The thing i've learnt is, faith is about moving forward in spite of the obstacles: "doubt sees the obstacles, faith sees the Way"

in sum: Don't look to religion, or you'll always be dissapointed.
Look to Jesus, He never disappoints! :)
__ __ __ __ __
p.s. that's my testimony, not a sermon. i'm not trying to convert you - just wanted to let you know that i haven't always been a passive believer, as you seemed to assume... ;)

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
oops! btw, i posted my lengthy testimony before i read your latest response...

i'm praying for you, because u came across as being pretty negative and cynical, like u had a grim outlook on everything. And i know from experience that it's not a healthy way to approach life.

The main reason why i'm not addressing "religion" because i don't believe it is the real issue at stake...

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
well if that works for you, then i'm happy for you

thanks for being understanding btw :)

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i watched this on friday night. i cant decide if i liked it or not. alot of things were included that i dont think were in the gospels and alot of things were left out too..

did anyone else think that?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
can see that most wars have their origins in religion?

u didnt adress any of my points
if there wasn't religion, there would be wars anyway. you can't blame religion for wars.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chookyn
it's okay asqy. i'll still pray for you. Not because it makes me feel any better. It just sounds like you really need it, that's all.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but why do you feel the need to pray for someone who does not hold with what you believe to be true?

Do not pray for me. I can only accept so much.

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
if there wasn't religion, there would be wars anyway. you can't blame religion for wars.
Exactly.

It is all about greed.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I saw the movie today, the filming was terrible...I wouldnt have seen it if Mel Gibson starred in it

juggernaut

HSC
if we lived in a world where religion wasnt the primary reason for war then land would be

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
think if we didnt have religion, society would have no moral boundaries, therefore more wars, violence and rape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)