the passion by mel gibson (1 Viewer)

Hottieflossy

Originally posted by iambored
apparently he portrayed the Jews very badly. yet supposedly accurately e.g. violent death. when doing a movie of the passion, Jesus is not seen as a Jew as the Jews are shown as the ones who are against him.
if it doesnt portray Jesus as being a Jew then its not exactly accurate, is it?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Well the issue here is not whether Jesus was a Jew or not, but the means by which He died. Now we do know for sure that He died an agonising and lengthy death, so why should this not be portrayed in its true light for the sake of political correctness?

The film doesnt assert that Jews were bloodthirsty, just that they were responsible for Jesus' crucifixion. This is much the same as if I kill a person because I become enraged that he is sleeping with my girlfriend, and this is a one-fff thing out of my character, it does't make me a bloodthirsty monster.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
hehe
*agrees with bubz

yeah i wanna catch it too :)

the passion of the chirst!

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Passion Of The Christ (new released movie)

What does everyone think of this new movie Passion of the Christ, i've watched it today and it was very emotional and touching.

I've NEVER cried while watching movies, but this time it just made me burst my tears. While watching this movie in a way i kinda felt bad because i never thought of the pain he went through for us, we learnt from church Jesus sacrified for us but i didn't realise how hard it must have been for him to be crucified for us.

Sometimes during life i felt suicidal, but seriously during the movie this movie has given me a new meaning to life, it also made me REALISE why he died, like the part where he said to his disciples there should be no hate, and we should love each other etc... during the part where he was held on a cross.

Also read this ----

***A middle-aged woman died of an apparent heart attack on Wednesday while watching the climactic crucifixion scene in "The Passion of the Christ" at a morning showing in Wichita, Kansas, a television station reported.

The film was stopped and a nurse in attendance went to the unidentified woman's side, a spokeswoman for KAKE-TV in Wichita said.

"It was the highest emotional part of the movie," she said. A crew from the TV station was at the special showing, which was sponsored by a radio station.

The woman, who was in her 50s, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, where a spokesman would only say she had been attending a movie. The county coroner's office said an autopsy would be performed.***

- I found this from a Internet Forum Site, EVERYONE should watch this movie to realise what Jesus went through for us, it is a very emotional movie. You know i'm starting to hate myself not for beliving in God, i might start attending Church coming this week!

Anyways whats are your thoughts if you have watched it?

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Movie Review
The Passion Of The Christ

Rating: MA15+ / NC-17
Length: 127 minutes
Director: Mel Gibson
Main Cast: James Caviezel, Maia Morgenstern, Monica Bellucci, Luca Lionello, Mattia Sbragia, Hristo Naumov Shopov, Luca De Dominicis
Official Website: http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com

How do you review a movie like The Passion?

For me at least, it's quite a difficult prospect.

Going to see this movie was a very surreal experience for me. The whole process of buying a ticket, sitting down in my comfy chair with some popcorn, and watching Jesus get brutally tortured and killed for two hours was somewhat bizarre to say the least.

Also, it's clear that this wasn't a movie created solely as entertainment, and I think it needs to be evaluated with that notion in mind. Don't get me wrong, The Passion is a fantastic film in it's own right - a great story, well told - but beyond "Wow, that was a great movie," I think Gibson would also like to see people coming out of this movie saying, "Wow, that Jesus was an amazing guy."

As well as that, as the movie is essentially a dramatisation of the end of the Gospels, with information from a few other sources, reviewing it feels a bit like trying to review a historical event. How do you evaluate a crucifixion?

And that is what it feels like to watch this movie: Like witnessing a killing. The Passion is incredibly brutal - Gibson does not shy away from graphic depiction of the violence done to Jesus. There were times in this film where I was truly horrified by what I was seeing. And not in an artificial, empathising-with-the-fictional-character's-pain way; this isn't sanitised Hollywood violence. This is personal and terrible and "real" and very difficult to watch at times, and I could see from the faces of the people around me that I was not alone in this reaction.

But this is not a film that relies solely on shock tactics. Beyond the gore, the acting and directing in this film are almost flawless: Mel Gibson does a phenomenal job of bringing to life the Jerusalem of 2000 years ago, James Caviezel is fantastic in the role of Jesus, and the supporting cast is great as well.

My only complaints are that there were a few places where I wondered whether a little too much creative license may have been used in the storytelling, and a few annoying little inconsistencies with history (the nailing of Jesus to the cross through his hands rather than through his wrists, for example), but these hardly detracted from the telling of the story.

By the time the lights came back on at the end, it was clear that many in the audience had been truly moved by the experience of watching the movie. This kind of audience response is a rare event in modern cinema. I have seen very few movies that I would describe as "important". Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine is one that comes to mind, and I think The Passion of the Christ also fits in this category.

If you're a Christian, you'll love this film. If you're not, I'm fairly certain you'll still find it thoroughly enjoyable. Just keep in mind that it's rated MA15+ for a reason.

Rating: Four-and-a-half stars. (The book was better.)

~ Chris

The above review was from a friends newly launched fortnightly WEBzine http://www.soylent-cola.com/1000monkeys check it out [/plug:D]

i plan to see it soon

Last edited:

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
how was it overall? good to watch?
remember no spoilers!! >.>

bliss

oh wow im going to be seeing that tomorrow with my youth.. we booked a 150 seats (pretty much the cinema) to see it. Thats a really awesome testimony Lazy krn~ argh how exciting! cant wait =)

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol spoil it hahaha
HE DIES IN THE END!!
:D

we went and saw it today
i suppose its a good movie, in the sense that it achieves what it aimed to do - which was to FUCK US ALL OVER AND LOSE OUR APPETITES

btw JOHN IS THE MAN! PROUD TO HAVE HIS NAME :p

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
braveheart goes to jerusalem! watch it and weep!
if there was a car chase it'd be the perfect film. i wonder if there's going to be a sequel.

walrusbear

HSC
i dont want to see it.
i think the conservative agenda behind gibson's making the film is enough to draw away. it is (supposedly, like i say i haven't seen it) fundamentalist christian recreation of christs death, that doesn't do anything bar showing as graphically and realistically as possible a literal interpretation of christs death.
the ideas behind the crucifixion are probably sidelined by gibson's literal recreation. ideas of redemption are hidden behind the shock (or not) tactics of severe violence and suffering. surely people could make more of a film from christs death (eg. scorsese in 1980s).

but then again i haven't seen it...

and i'm not sure i will :p

tho i am curious to see how violent it is ;)

to see a more coherent expression of what i'm saying, checkout the movie show review. they nailed some key issues with the production quite well.
www.sbs.com.au/themovieshow/

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
these lord of the rings movies just keep getting weirder.....

/letterman's joke

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i can't wait to see it.. my friends who've seen it already said it was really really graphic and violent, and my (christian) friend said it was really confronting

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
jesus died in the end!!! wait...did he?
i hope that they showed jesus' resurection as well or else that would make the film pointless. i think his death is important but what happened after is even more important cos everyone knows people die cos its normal but who do we know rises from the dead?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I have been reading a book in class for devotions (l go to a christian school) and the person who wrote it tells the readers about the movies he has seen about Jesus and how wrongly they have made his life. They have made him out to be this incredible healer guy, which isn't what he is.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie to see how closely it is to the bible.

is a roflcopter
HSC
the bible? :p
written by this chinese guy

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
does anyone else think its stupid all these people saying its too violent.. but ive seen so many bloody and gory movies
and what about r rated films.. why doesnt anyone knock them... sorry i just dont see how others get pleasure out of watching people having sex.. they are desperate and cant get any themselves or something?
anyway everyone ive spoken to (including guys) has cried during this movie.. some people wanting to go to church after seeing it lol
i should be seeing it next week so ill post my thoughts.. and my parents are going tomorrow
is it true that its not even in english?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)