The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Liverpool are a better side than their position on the EPL ladder suggets. Alot of people are suggesting that they are out of the title race already at this early stage of the season. In my opinion it is too early to rule out such a quality side...but based on current form I would have to agree that it will be tough. A top 4 finish, however, is still certainly within reach.

Firstly, Benitez needs to use Gerrard in his prefered central midfield position. This may not solve all of Liverpool's problems...but it would be a good start. He is the key man for Liverpool and his talents need to be fully utilised. Liverpool also just seem to be playing way to defensive at the moment. To counter this, Rafa also needs to start with 2 strikers instead of just 1 and Crouchie needs to at least be brought on late in the game to cause trouble for tiring defenders.

robbie1

HSC
Yes but its difficult because Alonso & Sissoko play in the middle so where will Gerrard fit? Maybe its time to bench Momo and try Gerrard + Alonso in the middle....I dont know.

I think Bellamy was injured thats why Kuyt was the lone ranger against Man U, who look like they might go all the way this season. To me some of the players looked disinterested and something needs to be done about this. One thing is for sure, I want Luis Garcia out, he dosent deserve to wear the shirt.

Tough times at Anfield right now but Im with them all the way, through the bad times and the good. We have a better squad than last season so surely we will bounce back.

This gives me a bit of hope:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153854061023-1046.htm

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Liverpool can still win the Premiership despite being 11-points adrift following Sunday's defeat at Old Trafford.

Some commentators claim the Reds are now out of the title race after losing 2-0 thanks to goals from Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand.

But the United manager is not willing to write off his old rivals just yet.

"I would not dismiss Liverpool," said Ferguson.

"They have a good run-in and there will be a freshness about them in the second half of the season because of the way Rafa has been ringing the changes."

The defeat on Sunday meant Liverpool have yet to beat Man Utd in the league under Rafa Benitez.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I do consider Reds to be out of the title race fo sure now, unless they can rack up an unbelievable amount of wins in the remainder of the season.

Gerrard is not in form this season at all, it's prob due to the amount of games he's played over the past few seasons. Rafa seems to be usin a rotation formula he created in FM, but I don't agree wit such a tactic, especially wit the strikers. The lack of game time affects cohesion and confidence and that's why none of the guys are really firing. Kuyt, wit all that hype surrounding him before he arrived, has simply been shit. Bellamy and Crouch haven't done much better either.

Not that I care that much about Liverpool, the more they lose they happier I get. :)

hachoo

HSC
I think they should go back to whatever formation worked for them last year. Gerrard and Alonso in the middle, Garcia and right and put Gonzalez on the left (he's pretty good). Carragher and Hyypia need to play Centre D with Riise and Finnan out wide. Kuyt and Crouch to me an excellent combination. One is tall with excellent footskills and the other is a powerhouse.

Raf just needs to get back to the basics, play the prefered positions and hope for the best. He's trying to change a team that has proved successful, and is paying the price. Whatever crap-arsed rotation system he has going, he should stop and put the same starting 11 on for a couple of weeks to mould.

Sheesh... even FIFA06 knows what he's doing wrong - Team Chemistry.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Hows everyone finding the new Football Manager?

Its early release date (a few weeks before finals and HSC) is rather unfortunate I'd have to say.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Don't mention it. I'm fucked in my game. All my major players are injured, that's like 6 or 7 of em. And this week I'm takin on league leaders PSV at home, very hard to get out of that one alive.

It seems I need better coaches, but the limited funds that I have and the reputation of the club makes it hard for me to attract world class coaches. Pain in the arse.

matty fwd

HSC
ok i cbf'd reading this whole thread. Pretty sure its filled with a lot of man utd, chelsea and various other bandwagon supporters... but just checking....any other hammers on the forum???

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
robbie1 said:
Yes but its difficult because Alonso & Sissoko play in the middle so where will Gerrard fit?
On the right, where he scored most of his goals last year.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
@ matty_fwd: Copious is another Hammers supporter who frequents this thread. He hasn't visited this thread much lately though.

Also, supporting Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, etc does not make us bandwagon supporters. Yes, some of us may only support these clubs because they are the most successful...but I believe that those who stick with their club through both the good and bad times are not bandwagon supporters.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
On the right, where he scored most of his goals last year.
...Steven Gerrard is not a natural right winger. He only scored those goals because he made runs into the centre. These runs infield, however, put added pressure on the defense. IMO He should be moved into the centre of midfield on a permanent basis in partnership with Alonso, or perhaps Sissoko during more physical matches.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I don't know what the fuss is with Gerrard, Fletcher clearly showed on Sunday that he was the better player. :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
I don't know what the fuss is with Gerrard, Fletcher clearly showed on Sunday that he was the better player. :D
Fletcher really has been playing well lately...for both club and country. I agree that he played especially well against Liverpool though. I'm still not entirely convinced that he has enough quality to hold down a regular position in the Man United first team...but he is very hard-working, and I respect him for that.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Carling Cup (English League Cup) results from overnight:

Blackburn 0-2 Chelsea

Charlton 1-0 Bolton

Liverpool 4-3 Reading

MK Dons 0-5 Tottenham :D

Newcastle 3-0 Portsmouth

Crewe Alexandria 1- 2 Man Utd (119th minute goal to Kieran Lee - United fans who is this?)

Fourth Round Draw - Week commencing 6th November

Notts County v Wycombe

Spurs v Port Vale

Birmingham v Liverpool

Chelsea v Aston Villa

Watford v Newcastle

Chesterfield v Charlton

Southend v Manchester United

Everton v Arsenal

- L1n -

HSC
sweet_as said:
Carling Cup (English League Cup) results from overnight:

Blackburn 0-2 Chelsea

Charlton 1-0 Bolton

Liverpool 4-3 Reading

MK Dons 0-5 Tottenham :D

Newcastle 3-0 Portsmouth

Crewe Alexandria 1- 2 Man Utd (119th minute goal to Kieran Lee - United fans who is this?)

Fourth Round Draw - Week commencing 6th November

Notts County v Wycombe

Spurs v Port Vale

Birmingham v Liverpool

Chelsea v Aston Villa

Watford v Newcastle

Chesterfield v Charlton

Southend v Manchester United

Everton v Arsenal
Kieran is part of the reserve/youth team for a fair few seasons now, a promising youngster.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
to mattyfwd, just because certain people support say man utd or chelsea or arsenal doesnt make them bandwagoners, ive been with man utd since the 97/98 season which was the season after cantona retired. It seems that most people who support the big 4 are branded bandwagoners whilst if u support a smaller club no one questions u. ridicoulous to me.

matty fwd

HSC
matt#1 said:
@ matty_fwd: Copious is another Hammers supporter who frequents this thread. He hasn't visited this thread much lately though.

Also, supporting Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, etc does not make us bandwagon supporters. Yes, some of us may only support these clubs because they are the most successful...but I believe that those who stick with their club through both the good and bad times are not bandwagon supporters.
ah thanks i'll keep an eye out for him. but you raise a point.."those who stick with their club through both the good and the bad.."...that is also what i believe, and as none of those big clubs have really experienced bad times....then none of their fans can disprove bandwagon claims.

so yeh, and too led-zep...its true you might not be, but I can accuse you and you can't disprove it :D so I will continue doing it :p

Jimmy_B

HSC
matty fwd said:
ah thanks i'll keep an eye out for him. but you raise a point.."those who stick with their club through both the good and the bad.."...that is also what i believe, and as none of those big clubs have really experienced bad times....then none of their fans can disprove bandwagon claims.

so yeh, and too led-zep...its true you might not be, but I can accuse you and you can't disprove it :D so I will continue doing it :p

you gotta admire matty, he picked a great time to come out of the woodwork. 8 losses on the bounce eh? :)

matty fwd

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
you gotta admire matty, he picked a great time to come out of the woodwork. 8 losses on the bounce eh? :)
lol it could be worse, i could've ordered the new jersey with TEVEZ on the back :D

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
Indeed. 1 goal in 672mins surely is something to brag about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)