The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
im a lil nervous, rooney aint firing, and our defense looks shaky at times...im watchin it live online, stupid fox sports 3!! ill get it hooked up soon.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
No need to worry about Rooney, Led-Zep. He was back to his best against FC Copenhagen last week...and he loves nothing more than beating Liverpool. I expect a big game from him tonight. I'll predict Man United 2-1 Liverpool.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
im prediciting, hopefully im wrong, but either 1-1 or a 1-0 liverpool win..dunno just not feelin it this wknd

hachoo

HSC
I predict a 2-0 win to Man U. I don't think Rooney is that much out of form. He has set up some excellent goals this year since injury. It's just the fact he isn't scoring goals, instead ole and saha are.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
This win was for every single person that wrote man utd off, i loved readin every single prediction this season, how united would struggle that they would be pushing a top 5 position, but would end up in the uefa cup if lucky, all of you liverpool supporters who beleived this would be your season with this fantastic new team, the width and extra fire power upfront!! woah!...lol what was the score, where are your team in the league? I truly beleive united can push for the title, all the way, in fact i can go as far as saying i dont think the title race will be finished until the last day of the season...

Oh and well done Hacoo, good prediction. thankfully i was wrong!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
sunjet said:
Please lose Manu.
Please die. :)

Congrats to Scholes, gettin on the scoresheet on his 500th United appearance, and what a goal by Rio, just fantastic.

I never lost faith in United, and I never believed a word of those who thought United would end up chasin for the UEFA Cup. Oh and Liverpool for the title...? Good luck on gettin 29 straight league wins in a row, that'll prob win it for you. Hahahahaha

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
lol i loved the hype before the season started about liverpool finally having a side to challenge chelsea and one that is much better than man utd, my all time fave ones from pre season are on Total football on fox sports, all the analysts prediciting liverpool to win and ruling man utd out completely, which i thought was the most bias drivel ive ever seen and also on sky news with Paul Wade who made this incredible comment "i hate man utd and id love to see them fail, so my prediction liverpool to win the league" that was on natioanl tv, u eat ur words u shit socceroo crap just like u Robbie slater, stupid scouser fans who cannot for th life of them be unbiased.anyway liverpool are out of it, better settle for a a uefa cup spot dickheads.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Manchester United 2-0 Liverpool...

Back to the top of the premiership we go :). I enjoyed seeing Scholes score in his 500th game...but Rio Ferdinand's goal was all class!

I expected more of a game from Liverpool...but Van Der Sar was never really troubled. Even Gerrard was kept quiet all game. Our defense was brilliant...Giggsy played well...and Saha looked pretty sharp upfront. Fletcher and Carrick worked hard all night and both produced solid performances. Overall, that was a very satisfying win. It Would have been nice to see Rooney score again though. He played ok...but is clearly still not in top form.

I understand that it is still early days...and that the EPL is not won in October...but I think that our form is good enough to suggest that we will push Chelsea all the way this season.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Fletcher pwned Gerrard + Sissoko + Alonso. Best game I've ever seen him played.

- L1n -

HSC
lol great game, i think it's pretty much down to Beating chelseaor not + the amount of chokes, if we can avoid chokes this year it should be pretty much down to the wire.

Who ever in their right mind thought liverpool would challenge for title is nuts, i don't even rate Kuyt or Bellamy, Crouch is 10 times better. Yes i said it Crouch is England's future the man can score.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
after a sluggish start arsenal are looking good with a 4-0 win over reading at reading, where man utd and chelsea struggled to get a result ...
could of been more if not for a terrible miss by rosicky and van persie's selfishness , i think the race for the premiership will be close this year ...

hachoo

HSC
Lucky prediction!

Ferdinand and Vidic are very dangerous up front. I noticed that when i was watching it last night. Tall heading mobile targets they are for Giggs and Carrick to kick at.

I agree with Fletchers performance. Playing on the right, he tore Alonso and Gerrard apart. Both didn't get a great shot at goal and were extremely frustrated by his attention (the hip and shouldering that was going on). Definately and improvment since the last time I saw him.

Arsenal are back to their best. I haven't seen the goals yet but Henry.... damn he's back. People thought he was going to struggle this year, and he's proved them wrong. They have a young team with lots of potential, and besides Ryan Giggs, i have a new player to share the 'my favourite player' title: Cesc Fabregas!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
hachoo said:
I haven't seen the goals yet but Henry.... damn he's back. People thought he was going to struggle this year, and he's proved them wrong.
Pfft. I don't recall anyone saying that Henry was going to struggle this year. He is one of the best strikers in the world...and was once again the leading goalscorer in the EPL last season. A player of his quality was never going to struggle this season. Yes, his form was perhaps a little bit down after the World Cup...but this was the same for many other quality players.

Arsenal definitely look to have shaken off their sluggish start to the season and now look like serious title contenders along with United and Chelsea.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
liverpool and tottenham are definitely struggling a little bit.....its basically going to be man utd. chelsea and possible arsenal challenging for the title...early days yet but so far its that

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
Who agrees though, that this is the worst freakin time that the socceroos are coachless. I'm sorry but arnold is nothing. I meen finally our boys are doing well overseas, Grella (C), bresicano (top of seria A), cahill( top 50 of europe), schwarzer and viduka getting alot of game, same for moore at newcastle, same for emerton and niel, skoko is doing well at wigan, etc, etc. And i can see the team going backwards if we dont sigh a new manager soon. Typicall of football fed. 1 giant leap forward, 2 back.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How can you derive a "typical" pattern of an organisation which hasn't existed for more than a couple of years? I mean pretty much every move made by the FFA since its inception has been nothing but positive, save losing Neeskens and failing to sign another world class coach.

robbie1

HSC
Very, very poor performance from my beloved Reds....it seems there are massive problems behind the scenes. Not looking good, but you cant give up after 9 rounds. Bring on Aston Villa - YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

Benitez in battle of wills

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez seems to be involved in a battle of wills with some of his star players as the Anfield club's season reaches crisis point.

Benitez has been forced into a soul-searching exercise after a humiliating and damaging 2-0 defeat at Manchester United, which left Liverpool a huge 11 points behind the EPL leaders.

The Spanish boss has a number of problems to contend with and perhaps his most worrying are ones which he has not spoken publicly about.

It is emerging behind the scenes that there may be doubts in Benitez's mind about the general form of both captain Steven Gerrard and his England colleague Peter Crouch.

It seems Benitez steadfastly refuses to play Gerrard in what many feel is his best position in central midfield, while in Crouch's case the coach seems reluctant to use him in the role he bought him for.

Crouch was signed, amid much derision, to give Liverpool a cutting edge away from home, something they had been so obviously lacking. It was a point Benitez made forcibly at the time.

He was to act as a typical English target man as well as offering an ability to hold up the ball but he has started just one away match this season.

As for Gerrard, there seems a clear worry from the coaching staff that his form - after a painful World Cup - is not dynamic enough for that central role. Concerns exist about his choice of runs and the defensive problems they create.

There are noises coming from the Gerrard camp that he is not happy with the situation or the role he is being asked to play.

Benitez must be aware of these behind-the-scenes murmurings, but he is not a man for turning.

Benitez tried to defend his decisions at Old Trafford, where Gerrard only belatedly moved into the centre of midfield, but possibly without revealing his innermost thoughts.

He said: "Stevie was on the right, but he was going inside a lot. In the end we put him in the middle."

"Last season he played really well on the right, he had freedom and he could go inside when he wanted."

"I do not feel we are using him as a winger, he is not being asked to get to the line to make crosses."

"He has a freedom to come inside and find space to attack. If he'd played in the centre all the time then Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick would have been there to pressure him."

"He can cause teams problems coming inside from a wider position. We had Luis Garcia working 'between the lines', and it did cause them problems."

"But we couldn't keep the ball properly for creating more space and chances. Luis Garcia and Gerrard did cause them problems."

Just how much that last remark was aimed at Crouch, is a matter of conjecture. But Benitez could well be concerned about a player who has scored plenty of cheap goals for England this season, but who has lost the knack of holding possession and being the awkward customer he was for defenders last term.

Benitez clearly prefers the tackling strength and running of Mohamed Sissoko alongside Xabi Alonso in central midfield at present. Yet even that pairing is causing him problems as Sissoko picked up his fourth booking of the season against United.

Referee Graham Poll warned the Mali 21-year-old early on, and despite some strong tackles flying in from all quarters, chose to book the midfielder soon after.

Benitez believes Sissoko is being picked on and said: "There is also a problem with how Momo Sissoko is treated. He was booked very early again by the same referee who booked him very early against Everton."

"It is easier, it seems, to show a yellow card to Momo rather than Rio Ferdinand or Steven Gerrard. I am very disappointed with this situation, and I realise that when it happens he cannot challenge in the same way because he has one card."

"But I do not want to use excuses, I would rather find solutions from our own players."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)