The Official Big Day Out 2006 Thread (stickied?) (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
How long do you reckon it will take for tics to sell out?
Last year Sydney's tickets sold out just before the third announcement.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Markazzo said:
Personally I think the lineup is pretty good, totally looking forward to Kings of Leon, Mars Volta and the White Stripes. Although as yet no massive act has been announced, I can see the Sydney show selling out pretty quick.
Like 3 weeks quick.

Now if only my beloved BRMC would play...
BRMC ?

And yeah what arty said

stazi said:
I hope they get rise against.
As a rule i dont think they let you play two years back to back.

Markazzo said:
I am speaking purely in terms of popularity. By 'massive' I meant 'massively popular'. I am happy with the lineup so far, but I think anyone who believes The Stooges in 2005 are even close to being as popular as the Beastie Boys, or Metallica in 2004, or Foo Fighters in 2003, is seriously mistaken.
Err, Franz Ferdinand or The White Stripes aren't 'big' enough for you ?

Last edited:
HSC
Obviously they've got nowhere near the history, but the current music scene doesn't really seem to value such things quite as much as we might hope that it should, is all I'm saying. You seem to contradict yourself a little though, are we talking about pioneering bands as being "big" or current popularity?

First you say the Stooges in 2005 aren't as big as the Foos or Metallica in their respective years, then talk about the entire pioneer thing. The Stooges have a fair history on them, which I'd say puts them up there in the reputation stakes, but don't have the current trend factor like The White Stripes or Franz Ferdinand, which obviously means they lose out on the popular with 13 year olds award.

Besides I'd argue that Metallica weren't really all that popular at all in 2004, after all it was just after the release of St. Anger :) Personally I find Iggy and the Stooges being on the bill more exciting than I did Metallica (Iggy & The Stooges didn't release St Anger) :) :) The lineup may look a little lightweight so far, but some of the bands on their do have quite a bit of drawing power, either due to being the flavour of the week or due to having a fairly long-standing fanbase.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Markazzo said:
Perhaps it's because I'm such a Metallica fan, I can't help but judge other headliners against them.
I WAS going to say something constructive, but yeah that basically summed up your perspective.

HSC
lol, I was a bit concerned when I saw the huge post, but thankfully we actually agree on most things :) True I guess people jumped on Metallica tickets anyway, I just assumed it was more legacy support than current interest, but you've clarified that you see the importance of both anyway, so I guess it's square.

Essentially I agree with the earlier point, I just wasn't too sure on specifically what you were saying. It'd be really great to see some more massive acts added, just that I think there's definitely a lot to be excited about on the list already :)

dive246

i think what the BDO needs is some cranking heavy band that will draw a crazy hugemungus mosh with some tribal drumming on the side. hell im talking about SOULFLY . where the fook are they? I WANT THEM RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!!

slip

HSC
AsyLum said:
As a rule i dont think they let you play two years back to back.
didnt queens of the stone age play something like 3 years in a row? and im sure they wouldnt be the only example... ive just never been that interested in bdo, apart from 1999 they line up never really interested me as much as other festivals...

of course australian bands will play many years in a row, ie powderfinger who played a number of years in a row.

and to the person that was talking foo fighters... unless you live under a rock you would know foo fighters have come once this year (they were all over the media) and that the are coming again in december (that has been all over the media too)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
damm i was hoping sparta would come and they would do something cool like join with mars volta and play some atdi songs...

DAMMIT

HSC
slip said:
didnt queens of the stone age play something like 3 years in a row? and im sure they wouldnt be the only example... ive just never been that interested in bdo, apart from 1999 they line up never really interested me as much as other festivals...

of course australian bands will play many years in a row, ie powderfinger who played a number of years in a row.

and to the person that was talking foo fighters... unless you live under a rock you would know foo fighters have come once this year (they were all over the media) and that the are coming again in december (that has been all over the media too)
Unless the BDO website has been falsified:

powderfinger 05, 01, 99, 97, 96, 94,
qotsa - 03, 01

Powderfinger have done two years in a row once, and it was quite a while ago so maybe it was before they implemented their variety rule. Either way, it's definitely quite rare, though perhaps not impossible, for a band to do two years in a row.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Didn't Powderfinger say that '05 would be there last? I think they did...I started crying...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
Didn't Powderfinger say that '05 would be there last? I think they did...I started crying...
Well considering they are on an "indefinite" break (ie, just before the break up phase) then i doubt they'll be playing.

Slip: I think the rule was made of late (perhaps 00+) but yeah, Dallas Crane wanted to do it again this year, but were told you couldn't perform at two festivals in a row, so *shrugs*

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Very pissed off with the line up. I'd go for Iggy and Mars Volta, but that ain't worth the admission.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
if the line up on the website is the final one i'm not v.impressed :(

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah, but any approx. dates when these announcements will come? I don't wanna dish out $110 only to realise even worse bands are coming

HSC
Usually there's a gap of about a month between each announcement. (No there won't be one before tickets go on sale).

Generally speaking it doesn't sell out till fairly late, and some years they're still selling tickets on the day, then again some years it sells out really fast. It's a bit of a gamble, but it's all part of the fun :)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
damm i was hoping sparta would come and they would do something cool like join with mars volta and play some atdi songs...

DAMMIT
:uhhuh: That would be so damn awesome. Second announcement? *fingers crossed*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)