The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
I for one am glad Rooney was sent-off, even if it was harsh. Firstly, it played a part in England getting knocked out. Secondly, he's got to learn to curb his frustrations if he is to realise his potential and serve MU for the next decade.

So I'm happy he's committed such a terrible error early in his career, hopefully he gets thrashed around, picks himself up and matures. He'll cost England a semi-final, win silverware for MU, and go on to become a very good footballer. Win,Win,Win. :cool:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Beckham steps down as England captain, poor guy, I really feel sorry for the England team now.

HSC
i'd probably tip Steven Gerrard to step up for the England captaincy. i could be wrong, but that's just my pick.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I feel especially sorry for Becks. He looked so devastated after succumbing to that ankle injury yesterday and along with Hargreaves and Joe Cole...he was probably one of England's best players throughout the tournament.

As for Rooney, his sending off yesterday may have been a bit harsh...but he still needs to learn how to stay cool in situations like that. His talent is undeniable, but he isn't going to be of much use if he keeps getting sent off all the time. I thought that perhaps he had finally learnt his lesson after getting sent off in the Champions League last season.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Beckham steps down as England captain, poor guy, I really feel sorry for the England team now.
It was always on the cards. He may have played his last international too :( .

I wonder what McClaren has in mind for Becks. I don't think any of the current English crop have what it takes to be an international captain. Not Becks, not Terry, or Gerrard, or anyone. You'd have to be a good international player before being a good international leader. The English just can't take that next step from club success to national team success.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
matt#1 said:
hmmm...seems like alot of people have converted into Portugal supporters. I'm running out of people to argue against :(...
Same feelings as those expressed by Brogan. Always liked Portugal .. perhaps the only time I didn't like them was when Jiao Pinto got sent off for that ridiculous tackle in the 2002 World Cup .. I think it was against South Korea, but I'm not sure. Perhaps there was even spitting allegations involved, my memory is really hazy on the exact incident.

Paragorn, I know Ribery was in a bad car crash. It doesn't stop me not liking his face, though. Don't have anything whatsoever against the guy, he's been brilliant in the Round of 16 and Quarters. And his goal against Spain was top class. I can accept seeing him on the tele. After all, he's one of the world's best football players!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
garbagedump said:
ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE OUR HEROES
LOL
hEroes after winning and sooks after losing.
I think that this comment was made in relation to the comment in sweet_as' sig: "one word to describe our national team: heroes".

@ the appropriately named garbagedump... the Australians were definitely heroic throughout the world cup, earning the respect and exceeding the expectations of many people along the way. They were also not "sooks" after losing to Italy. Yes, a few of the players were a little bit emotional...but that was to be expected. The penalty decision was harsh...and the players were coming to terms with what might have been. Several players also realised at that moment that they may also have reached the end of their international careers. The performances of the socceroos in Germany are something that all Aussies should be proud of. I certainly am.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i'm still an english supporter. f*cking portugese :p the only thing they're good for are oporto and nando's

BAHAHAHA and this is entirely MY HUMBLE FREAKING OPINION but the semis look really sh*t for germany 06.

germany are the form side but they've been too clinical for my liking so far in the tournament.

italy are divers. nuff said

portugal have been the surprise packet but they're too foul-happy. plus they knocked out my two fav teams after the socceroos of course: the dutch and england

france are an erratic motley of over-aged has-beens who have an extraordinarily high amount of black players. not taking anything away from them but i thought the french were european whites?

world cup might as well be over with england gone ;)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
f*cking portugese :p the only thing they're good for are oporto and nando's
hmm..really? It seems that we are quite handy footballers as well:) .

bobness said:
world cup might as well be over with england gone ;)
That's only your opinion. The World Cup is now over for England anyway :). If you don't want to see Portugal progress any further then I suggest that you cease watching the World Cup immediately.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bahahaha nah seriously congrats on the win (well not you but the portugal football team) against england. i can honestly say they were the better team on the day.

england always underperform when it matters.

but i still think they're defenders were excellent when it came down to 10 men. you guys had the best part of 40 mins to crack the back but alas it wasn't meant to be :p

hahaha i was following the game live on the matchcast from the official fifa site, and one of the comments which a supporter (presumably english) said in the quickchat was

"If portugal score in extra time, it'll just go to show that they can't defeat any decent team (i thnk he was referring to their win over netherlands for this) with the full team on for both sides on the park"

ah well good luck for the remainder of the world cup. i'll probably be rooting for portugal cause they're the best out of the remaining. and they have scolari :)

S

sjonnie

Proof that Grosso did not dive

This video will once and for all debunk the myth that Grosso dived

By the way this isn't to inflame or get people upset. I saw it and thought it was a take on the foul that led to the penalty. Take it for what it's worth, not to start fights and slur each other
link is here http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8512/grossooooo0nv.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Re: Proof that Grosso did not dive

That gif doesn't prove anythin, it just takes the frames of which Grosso made contact wit Neill.

If you have watched the incident, and I'm sure you would have, that Grosso had enough space and time to get around Neill and make a shot on goal.

Oh well, this is another pic that sums up my current worries over Ronaldo.

http://www.teamtalk.com/Images/65292.jpg

How will they ever make up now...

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC

sjonnie said:
This video will once and for all debunk the myth that Grosso dived

By the way this isn't to inflame or get people upset. I saw it and thought it was a take on the foul that led to the penalty. Take it for what it's worth, not to start fights and slur each other
link is here http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8512/grossooooo0nv.gif

that's lame. Even in that gif you can see that the italian actually stopped before dving.

^___^
HSC

AcStyle* said:
Wonder wot sorta reception Ronaldo will get from Rooney, Neville & co if he turns up for Utd training?
Ferguson might like this kind of personality.."do everything to win for the team" kinda thing..but yeah, it worries me about the team unity

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A

Hopefully after the World Cup dies down, they can settle their differences and get along wit it, but that's if Ronaldo stays. Fuck it'll break me real bad if he decides to leave, worse than the feelin of the time when Beckham left.

swisstruffles

HSC
bobness said:
france are an erratic motley of over-aged has-beens who have an extraordinarily high amount of black players. not taking anything away from them but i thought the french were european whites?
i dont think the 'colour' of any player affects anything about a national team. the french team may have a number of players of African descent partly because of the ties from the many former French colonies in Africa, particularly in Algeria. Do u consider Zidane 'black'? remember his parents are of Algerian descent.
If one is technically speaking, one may assume the Australian team to be all ABoriginal people, but they are not...football IS 'the world game'- players like Alex in Japan are testament to the internationalism of football in these modern times.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
swisstruffles said:
i dont think the 'colour' of any player affects anything about a national team. the french team may have a number of players of African descent partly because of the ties from the many former French colonies in Africa, particularly in Algeria. Do u consider Zidane 'black'? remember his parents are of Algerian descent.
If one is technically speaking, one may assume the Australian team to be all ABoriginal people, but they are not...football IS 'the world game'- players like Alex in Japan are testament to the internationalism of football in these modern times.
The thing wit Alex is a bit dodgy, cause usually its impossible for a foreigner to obtain Japanese citizenship, but since Alex plays football, they just make him Japanese so he can play for them in the national team.

Jiga

Its a testament to how stupid the game is Im afraid..... one country will develop a player into what they are... and then they can go ahead and play for another country because in some circumstances they are 1/1000000000th that nationality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)