The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Yep I saw Blatter on SBS. I am not a huge fan of him though, mainly because of the way the refereeing controversies have been handled.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
LMF^^ said:
The thing wit Alex is a bit dodgy, cause usually its impossible for a foreigner to obtain Japanese citizenship, but since Alex plays football, they just make him Japanese so he can play for them in the national team.
He went to Japan as a student when he was 16, so he didnt originally go for footballing reasons. Plus he speaks fluent Japanese...i saw him on a game show when i was over there last yr.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Very positive news in the above article...but interesting that Ronaldo only said that reports saying that he didn't want to come back to United are untrue. He still didn't confirm that he is not interested in going to Madrid. He just confirmed that he would come back to United (presumably if the whole Real Madrid thing falls through)

mecurial

HSC
How are France an "erratic motley of over-aged has-beens"? They did what they had to do, more or less, to get through the group stages. France's class has shown, however, when it counted. The "over-agers" have produced absolute world class displays (Zizou, Makelele, Vieira, Thuram) against two of the highly favoured teams, and apart from one mistimed challenge, have barely given Brazil & Spain's much vaunted attacks a chance.

It is the classic fairytale story - Zizou and Makelele come out of retirement, the team and coach are hammered in the French press, and now the so called "over-agers" have a wave of momentum backed by quality performances. This would be the ultimate swansong for several members of the team. And they so deserve it.

As you can probably tell, I will be hoping for France to progress.

mecurial

HSC
Btw what are the thoughts about the speculation regarding Houllier having confirmed to coach the Socceroos?

Personally a bit unsure, obviously his results at Clarefontaine show his technical knowledge, but are his senior coaching performances as successful. He failed to qualify for USA 94 with France, and it is highly questionable whether any genuine progress was made with Liverpool? Although maybe this is counterbalanced with his massive success at Lyon?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I really dont know who will win the portugal v france game. pretty much a flip of the coin.

Always

HSC
politik said:
*yawn* France will win the World Cup.
True.

I don't understand how anyone can still have so little faith in the French team. They've already proven themselves twice, against two strong teams.

I think it's pretty obvious France will win. They must, they truly deserve it.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
France are a huge chance of winning...but I would still say that Germany are the favourite. They have been the most consistent performers so far (along with Portugal- who have also won every game they have played)...and they also have the home support. I believe that Germany will definitely be in the final. France will start as favourtes against Portugal, but if our exceptional midfield players ...Ronaldo, Deco, Simao, Figo and Maniche fire...then anything can happen.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
mecurial said:
Btw what are the thoughts about the speculation regarding Houllier having confirmed to coach the Socceroos?

Personally a bit unsure, obviously his results at Clarefontaine show his technical knowledge, but are his senior coaching performances as successful. He failed to qualify for USA 94 with France, and it is highly questionable whether any genuine progress was made with Liverpool? Although maybe this is counterbalanced with his massive success at Lyon?
I'm a little bit unsure about Houllier as well. Sure, his work at Lyon has been extremely impressive, but I am worried that he might undo the great work done by Guus.

In my opinion, Neeskins would have been the perfect choice... with Graham Arnold as his assistant. Both of these guys learnt alot under Guus and certainly would have continued to put into practice what they learnt.

^___^
HSC
I say we bring in some random from South America on the cheap, and let him run the youth system..that would train our kids what the beautiful game is about(diving and all) !!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)