The Loaded Dog: HSC exams - Sun Herald (1 Viewer)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Re: The Loaded Dog: HSC exams - Sydney Morning Herald

No I am not using anecdotal evidence, read my post. I am saying that the reason parents place so much importance on academics and the HSC is because they believe that you really NEED to get good in the HSC in order to get a good life hence money. I am using the examples to illustrate how my arguments are shown in the real world. Please pick out what is wrong in my posts. I cant give a good rebuttal if you simply make a general statement about my post
I don't think so. You're talking from your own cultural perspective which your parents have instilled in you.

Times/locations (i assume your parents weren't born here?) have changed and pure survival is no longer as of utmost importance as previously.

enoilgam

HSC

I agree a lot with this post too (lol why do I agree with conflicting posts?)
I dont think they contradict - education is important and it can be a great thing. But the way it is treated nowadays is extreme. When you have 17 and 18 year olds suffering from high blood pressure because of the stress of the HSC (mainly parental pressure) - thats not a good thing in any sense.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

No I am not using anecdotal evidence, read my post. I am saying that the reason parents place so much importance on academics and the HSC is because they believe that you really NEED to get good in the HSC in order to get a good life hence money. I am using the examples to illustrate how my arguments are shown in the real world. Please pick out what is wrong in my posts. I cant give a good rebuttal if you simply make a general statement about my post
Sorry, but I really don't have the time.

What Im saying is that during their time it was nigh on impossible to get a good job without getting good marks. You had to get good in your HSC in order to get a job.
Back in your parents day you didn't need to go to university, or even finish high school to find a job (western world). These days you need a bachelor's degree to work as a receptionist. Good luck getting anywhere in academia without a PhD.

Before anyone yells at me for contradicting myself, I never said what my views were.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I don't think so. You're talking from your own cultural perspective which your parents have instilled in you.

Times/locations (i assume your parents weren't born here?) have changed and pure survival is no longer as of utmost importance as previously.
It is a cultural perspective that spans among many cultures and are the common targets for stereotypes when it comes to pressure applied for the HSC. Asians, Indians whatever it is.

The person I was replying to emphasised on how the HSC is talked about so much, and the reason its talked about so much is because there are many students with parents similar to mine, and that was the point I was getting at. Alot of my post then explained why it is fine that such views of the HSC are taken.

Also I apologise if anyone felt offended (including person I replied to), I simply got a bit fired up about the 'academia is ugly' and 'I didnt learn anything in 6 years etc' statements so its those statements that provoked my unecessary angry tone of my post.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Sorry, but I really don't have the time.
Ok, why get involved in a deep discussion if you dont have time to back yourself?

Back in your parents day you didn't need to go to university, or even finish high school to find a job (western world). These days you need a bachelor's degree to work as a receptionist. Good luck getting anywhere in academia without a PhD.
I was referring to the better paying jobs, to get into medicine nowadays there are many pathways (although longer). There are ways to become successful with technology as well. Something that was not really relevant and available a couple of decades or so ago

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

The person I was replying to emphasised on how the HSC is talked about so much, and the reason its talked about so much is because there are many students with parents similar to mine, and that was the point I was getting at. Alot of my post then explained why it is fine that such views of the HSC are taken.
Yep i know :). I'm just curious why choose to perpetuate it? A sense of gratitude to your parents? (not trying to sound antagonistic just curious)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yep i know :). I'm just curious why choose to perpetuate it? A sense of gratitude to your parents? (not trying to sound antagonistic just curious)
Ah well I think they give pretty good advice in that regard lol. So Ill follow it to an extent and see where it takes me. Its logical that a high ATAR will grant many more oppurtunities and Im not absolutely sure what I want to do (I have a good idea but I want to keep options alive).

Also I believe in trying to achieve the best of what I can rather than the bare minimum needed.

jwilkinson

HSC
I don't mind the hsc, its a fun year, you learn a lot about yourself and also with the exams coming up I'm excited! There's no pressure from my parents, they just simply want me to do my best and smile saying i gave it my all throughout the year when i get results back and as for teachers, they were pretty happy and just wanted us to do our best. because that's really all anyone can do. Their best. So no, I'm not feeling pressure from society/teachers/rents. just my input :)

EvansOne

HSC
N/A

I am saying that the reason parents place so much importance on academics and the HSC is because they believe that you really NEED to get good in the HSC in order to get a good life hence money.
My dad dropped out at 16 and makes a more than comfortable living as an electrical operator, so I guess I'm lucky in the sense that he knows first hand what is possible without even getting a HSC...and that was 36 years ago. I do see what you're saying though.

Memento-mori

HSC

Im sorry, but most of the pressure that has been applied to parents in their times under the academic spotlight has affected their ideology of how academia is now today. What Im saying is that during their time it was nigh on impossible to get a good job without getting good marks. You had to get good in your HSC in order to get a job. Australia is also a very multicultural society which adds to this pressure. The stereotype that immigrant parents pressure their kids is true because they have seen bad things in their home countries. And this is very much a true stereotype which is valid in assessing a lot of immigrant parents.

Though in modern soicety there are many pathways to get good jobs and to get into a good uni, and there are many opportunities in life now compared to many decades ago the ideology that the HSC is very important still rests on the minds of many parents and you cant blame them. After all who are they going to trust? Their own life experiences with what life has, or a 17/18 year old kid who says the HSC isnt that important (yes it might be true but its hard to believe). Society does not place emphasis on academia it simply places emphasis on money and power and therefore the problem does not lie in academia and learning and in pressures to learn, but the problem lies within society's emphasis on the value of money and fame.

And in my opinion there is nothing wrong with society placing emphasis on money because going down to the very roots of it humans need to survive and in this day and age you need money. You want to live a good life without having to rely on the dole right? Well then 30 years ago if you didnt want that to be your fate then you needed to work incredibly hard in the HSC, nowadays this is less the case, and once this generation becomes the parents of the age they will tell their kids that their HSC isnt the most important thing in your life.

This nihilistic view of the HSC is just as annoying as the one that the HSC is the most important thing in your life, its ridiculous. Saying that no one should be caring about the HSC because there are more important things in life, yes maybe for you the more important thing is happiness (lol), for other people its living life with a lot of money in order to keep a family running, in order to live safe and to live an although stressful an uneventful life of money earning and spending.

I disagree completely that academia is too competitive and ugly. Academia doesnt have to be nihilistic you know, there are some people who hate maths but are willing to do 4U for the scaling, there are people out there who hate Law and do it for the money, and there is nothing wrong with that. The reason why there is nothing wrong with that because it is all based on the philosophy that the world is a dog-eat-dog world, the philosophy that you need money in order to live a safe life and it is due to that philosohpy that people are so competitive about academia, in the end I can easily say that about 50% of the doctors of the world actually are doctors because they truly truly enjoy it, and the rest are all money driven and that is absolutely fine as long as their job is done right.

Academia is a wonderful and very beautiful thing and so is competition, competition allows us to see the extent of what the human brain can show us. The Russians being the first to space was a great engineering and scientific achievement and was only available to come about due to the rivalry and competition between the Soviets and the US (then comes Apollo moon landing etc.) I could go on further and further about how competition has advanced the human civilisation and how it has shown the true potential of the human brain. The ability the human brain has if we just put in a little grunt work.

If you havent learnt anything worthwile during the last 6 years of your schooling and you are typecasted as a dumb idiot then they have a point. Its stupid to simply ignore this education and be totally ignorant about it 'oh whinge whinge the world isnt how I like it to be, too competitive whinge whinge'. But of course maybe you also didnt learn anything because of your decision to pick crappy subjects (still your fault for picking them). Even though Im only at the beginning of my HSC I can easily say that I have learnt ALOT of things about the world around me, about philosophy and and at the same time picking up good life skills.

Ridiculous.
I do agree that the landscape has changed since then, academically. I'm not saying that the HSC is the root of all evil in life, but it sends out the message of competitiveness is always the right thing to do to get ahead. Should you try your hardest? Yes you should. Everyone should care about the HSC. What I do dislike however is the ATAR, it's a completely horrible way to enter adulthood, with a single number. My post was specifically more about how people either judge people by their ATARs, or just say ''who cares''. Neither of these attitudes help a bit.
"If you havent learnt anything worthwile during the last 6 years of your schooling and you are typecasted as a dumb idiot then they have a point." Fock you. You find competition so ''beautiful'' probably because it benefits you. And don't you dare lecture me about how the world treats me, because you have no idea what its like to experience a Manic Depressive Disorder episode during your exams. To read about Buddhism's ideas about gratitude, and to only be bullied. You know nothing about fairness. I don't want the world to be perfect, I want it to be fair, and if you do not want at least fairness or justice, I just can't understand you at all. Competitiveness, mostly, is awful. It's negatives clearly outweigh the positive parts. The problem with the HSC is that everyone has to ''play this game'' whether they want to or not. The HSC suits you, so you love it. My opinions of the HSC, comes out of other peoples experiences. The scaling done by UAC sends out the message that science and maths are more valuable than the humanities and the creative arts. I mean, look at your subjects. The last 6 years, of my education, has been just shallow preparation for the tests. The teachers who encouraged us to look at the world around us, critique it, are intelligent and I appreciate them. Not the ones that tell me to work on my ''exam technique''.
And the most important thing for me is, and never has been, happiness. It's conviction, fairness, justice. Unlike you, I am not ignorant, if I think there is suffering, I'm going to say that there is suffering.
And a final note- it's not all right that a doctor is money driven. It means that they probably care less about their job. Doctors should be the type of person that you can tell anything to, not someone who is there simply for the money.

clarg

HSC

Your comments about it being easier to get a job through academic pursuit nowadays are utter crap.

How about some factual evidence: Thirty years ago, 75% of people dropped out of school in Y10. Sure, there was less focus on the degree that you had - but surely, even then, employers would have compared the resume of a person with a degree to those without, and selected the one with.

The implication being that back then, you get a uni degree - you're set.

Nowadays, you get a uni degree - join the other unemployed folks mastering in engineering.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

I do agree that the landscape has changed since then, academically. I'm not saying that the HSC is the root of all evil in life, but it sends out the message of competitiveness is always the right thing to do to get ahead. Should you try your hardest? Yes you should. Everyone should care about the HSC. What I do dislike however is the ATAR, it's a completely horrible way to enter adulthood, with a single number. My post was specifically more about how people either judge people by their ATARs, or just say ''who cares''. Neither of these attitudes help a bit.
"If you havent learnt anything worthwile during the last 6 years of your schooling and you are typecasted as a dumb idiot then they have a point." Fock you. You find competition so ''beautiful'' probably because it benefits you. And don't you dare lecture me about how the world treats me, because you have no idea what its like to experience a Manic Depressive Disorder episode during your exams. To read about Buddhism's ideas about gratitude, and to only be bullied. You know nothing about fairness. I don't want the world to be perfect, I want it to be fair, and if you do not want at least fairness or justice, I just can't understand you at all. Competitiveness, mostly, is awful. It's negatives clearly outweigh the positive parts. The problem with the HSC is that everyone has to ''play this game'' whether they want to or not. The HSC suits you, so you love it. My opinions of the HSC, comes out of other peoples experiences. The scaling done by UAC sends out the message that science and maths are more valuable than the humanities and the creative arts. I mean, look at your subjects. The last 6 years, of my education, has been just shallow preparation for the tests. The teachers who encouraged us to look at the world around us, critique it, are intelligent and I appreciate them. Not the ones that tell me to work on my ''exam technique''.

And the most important thing for me is, and never has been, happiness. It's conviction, fairness, justice. Unlike you, I am not ignorant, if I think there is suffering, I'm going to say that there is suffering.

And a final note- it's not all right that a doctor is money driven. It means that they probably care less about their job. Doctors should be the type of person that you can tell anything to, not someone who is there simply for the money.
Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Ok explain how non-competitiveness will lead you anywhere in life? We live in a capitalistic society dog-eat-dog world if you will. Only the top are the ones who survive (not literally but for the rest of the post I will refer to surviving as having a well-balanced financial and economically viable life, I will define this as what people generally aim for in the world).
And as such since we live in a capitalistic society competition is everything from business to finding a job. If an employer has to pick an employee between you and 5 other people and the 6 of you compete with each other in order to look the best and show that they are the best for the job. This is an example of millions that I can give. In order to maintain a business you need to be competitively viable, USYD only want the most hard working people to study Law and the ATAR is a measurement of that. ATAR does not measure intelligence but rather your ability to put in hard work. And as such unis will take ATAR to measure how willing you are (and smart I guess) to be able to do Law because in order to do Law you need to be pretty damn good.

Moreover your life is not determined by your ATAR but rather makes your first years of adulthood a lot easier. Sure it doesnt help to have a bad attitude about it and to point figures like that, its disgusting how arrogant people can be. But guess what? Thats how life is, you meet people of a range of different personalities from peculiar to plain arrogant. Your ideoloy is that the perfect world will have no one that will brag about their ATAR or their job or whatever.

Guess what, some people find it hard to not brag about 1 hard working year of their life and that is the simple fact about it. Sure if you point fingers and say haha you have a bad ATAR then you are being stupid but the simple fact is that there are people like that and in one way or another ATAR they will find some way to beat on you

"If you havent learnt anything worthwile during the last 6 years of your schooling and you are typecasted as a dumb idiot then they have a point." Fock you.
*shrugs*
Whatever you think mate, Im simply stating my opinion there and I know many people will agree with me but they are too nice to show you the real world.

You find competition so ''beautiful'' probably because it benefits you. And don't you dare lecture me about how the world treats me, because you have no idea what its like to experience a Manic Depressive Disorder episode during your exams. To read about Buddhism's ideas about gratitude, and to only be bullied. You know nothing about fairness.
I dont think its fair that you have pointed this at me, are you sure Ive never been bullied in my life? Think Im some guy who has absolutely no problems in their life? And you bite at OTHER people for being arrogant?

I find it beautiful because it shows humans what they can achieve and it gives humans some sort of goal to beat, all in the name of advancement for humanity, all in the name of advancement of your own person financially, morally, etc etc.

The Bored of Studies caters to people with random disorders, go write a misadventure form or something if you really care about your ATAR. You read about Buddhist ideas of gratitude yet you learn nothing in the past 6 years of schooling, schooling children around the world will never see education, that will never even see proper food or clean water (yes Im pulling out that argument but it must be done). You read on Buddhist ideas about gratitude yet you whine about horrible your life is, despite how horrible other peoples lives are? You need to really appreciate what you have.

I know a lot about fairness because Im a fair guy to be honest. Fairness isnt feeding everyone what they want, fairness isnt socialism, fairness is giving everyone a fair go (at everything) and then laissez-faire (let everything be). If people treat you badly then its not fair on you, sure, but there are ways to combat this.

I don't want the world to be perfect, I want it to be fair, and if you do not want at least fairness or justice, I just can't understand you at all.
I told you about fairness already, you seem to think that fairness is having everyone ok with crappy marks in school. No, employers wont be happy with an unproductive person, and that unproductive person is unproductive because they learnt nothing in their years of schooling. And ATAR is a reflection of how hard you work, if you get a 50 ATAR it means you dont know how to work and hence you dont find a uni.

Competitiveness, mostly, is awful. It's negatives clearly outweigh the positive parts. The problem with the HSC is that everyone has to ''play this game'' whether they want to or not. The HSC suits you, so you love it. My opinions of the HSC, comes out of other peoples experiences. The scaling done by UAC sends out the message that science and maths are more valuable than the humanities and the creative arts.
From what your course aim is and the whole tone of your post I can say that you are passionate about the arts. Economics is the highest scaling non-maths/language/English course. And Economics is a humanity subject. Sure Visual Arts and Music dont scale high, and nor does Business or whatever you subjects you do. But in the end society only cares about the areas of academia that will directly affect them. Therefore the material sciences Physics, and Chemistry scale high, but what trumps them all are Economics, a humanity that gives great insight into how the world works.

And you cant accuse the scaling, its done on difficulty and performance of the cohort. So it just happens that Business gives easy tests because the real good stuff is covered in Economics etc etc. A maths subject scales the highest because its the hardest damn subject in all of academics (yes it is)

Sure maybe the HSC suits me but it only really suits me because I actually like school and the subjects Im doing.

But what really interests me is why you find Competitiveness so awful. I already referred to Competitiveness at the beginning of the post, but in reality competitiveness is what drives the world around. And no I dont say this because Im always the winner, in fact its the opposite, Im always on the opposite side of the good when it comes to competition. But Im glad that there is a 1st place to strive for because it allows me to improve and shape and hence advance my own mindset only because the competition gave me the motivation, the hunger for first allows me to improve myself.

I mean, look at your subjects. The last 6 years, of my education, has been just shallow preparation for the tests. The teachers who encouraged us to look at the world around us, critique it, are intelligent and I appreciate them. Not the ones that tell me to work on my ''exam technique''.
What I find frustrating is that the only things you find intelligent is critical analysis. Which is just plain wrong. Real intelligence does not mean being able to think differently, anyone can do that, you dont need to be smart to think differently to 'critique' the world. The teachers who teach you how to do the exam are the ones who are telling you how to get a good ATAR, rote learning is unfortunately essential so you can get away from this dull year of your life and move on with life.

Justice is incredibly subjective unfortunately, your morals differ from mine and thats fine. Like I said before you dont know what fairness is. I am definitely not ignorant, I have been repeatedly asking for rebuttal to my statements. I do be stubborn in what arguments that I am defending but everyone is stubborn when they defend their point, but in no way am I ignorant.

Lol mate do you know how hard it is to become a doctor? Anyone who spends the 8 or so years studying then doing transfers then this and that, obviously cares about the achievement that they have gotten. Moreover the money driven doctors need to be able to keep their job while they are getting the money and hence they need to be adequate enough.

Ridiculous

enoilgam

HSC
With this whole issue, I think it is a question of extremes i.e. most things are fine within reason, but when you take them to the extreme it becomes an issue. Like the whole competition thing. As Sy pointed out, competition was great during the space race between the USSR and the USA, but they took things to the extreme and that cost lives. Like in the Apollo 1 fire, three key US astronauts were killed due to several design flaws with the CM. Some of these flaws the USSR knew about from before but refused to share with the US. So yes, the competition was beneficial in that both nations achieved a great deal in the space race. But sometimes they went to far and the results werent good.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Your comments about it being easier to get a job through academic pursuit nowadays are utter crap.

How about some factual evidence: Thirty years ago, 75% of people dropped out of school in Y10. Sure, there was less focus on the degree that you had - but surely, even then, employers would have compared the resume of a person with a degree to those without, and selected the one with.

The implication being that back then, you get a uni degree - you're set.

Nowadays, you get a uni degree - join the other unemployed folks mastering in engineering.
You are right in a way....kind of, but it actually benefits my overall argument that you are saying its harder to get a job nowadays hence stressing the more importance on the HSC.

And plus from where my parents and many other people's parents came from, it wasnt the land of Australia where it was easy to get a job back then. But it is different in other countries which is where the large demographic of parents in this country are from (other countries). Hence this translates over here making them put pressure on kids for the HSC. I was simply stating this view of people to explain why so much pressure is applied in the HSC

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
With this whole issue, I think it is a question of extremes i.e. most things are fine within reason, but when you take them to the extreme it becomes an issue. Like the whole competition thing. As Sy pointed out, competition was great during the space race between the USSR and the USA, but they took things to the extreme and that cost lives. Like in the Apollo 1 fire, three key US astronauts were killed due to several design flaws with the CM. Some of these flaws the USSR knew about from before but refused to share with the US. So yes, the competition was beneficial in that both nations achieved a great deal in the space race. But sometimes they went to far and the results werent good.
I do agree that Competition has its flaws, political competition is negative because it creates squabbles over things like oil and money etc. But in the most part competitiveness is necessary whether positive or negative (and at the human level its a lot of the time positive)

enoilgam

HSC
I do agree that Competition has its flaws, political competition is negative because it creates squabbles over things like oil and money etc. But in the most part competitiveness is necessary whether positive or negative (and at the human level its a lot of the time positive)
True. Some things in life are a necessity but you know, the extremes should be avoided. It is kind of like water, you need it to live but in high enough dosages it's poisonous (if you drink 6L worth though).

seanieg89

HSC
On a large scale competitiveness is indeed what drives our capitalist world and makes the wheels of society go round, but I think it is very much up to the individual to discover what is truly important to him/herself and what role he wants to play in this world.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to be part of this machine, nor is there anything wrong with wanting to climb ladders in society (and the HSC is indeed a good starting point, although I would still argue not an essential one). Regarding the initial issue of criticising societal pressure on students: I don't think the pressure is unreasonable. Society will pressure you all the time to conform...it won't stop at the HSC and this is human nature. Part of growing up is learning to face this pressure and not let it affect your decisions. Do what you think is best for you and the ones you love, fuck the expectations of society.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC

I find it beautiful because it shows humans what they can achieve and it gives humans some sort of goal to beat, all in the name of advancement for humanity, all in the name of advancement of your own person financially, morally, etc etc.
[insert bladerunner frankenstein reference]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)