The Bible (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Luke 12:35

"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,
like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet,
so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes.

I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve,
will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready,
even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night.

But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming,
he would not have let his house be broken into.
You also must be ready,
because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."
Yeah i like that one.
Also, this is a pragmatic one contrasting materialism with faith. I like it because it explains that what we have on earth is minute compared to what faith produces :)

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy,
and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Bible - Matthew 6:19-21

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
I've read a few books of the bible, the whole of matthew, mark and parts of others.

The thing that struck me most was how deplorably boring, inconsistent across the various texts, and incomprehensible most of it was.

Believe it or not, there are religious texts that are actual page turners, you don't have to force yourself to study. If you're looking for an absolute moral framework as the best guide on how to live your life, there are better options than the bible imo.
God isn't exactly a thriller novelist - the Bible isn't really meant to be read for entertainment. However readability can also depend what translation/version you're reading too; I have a paraphrased version called 'The Message' which is written in modern everyday language, which I find very easy to read.

I suggest you look into some other religions, see what they have to offer, shop around before settling down on your beliefs. There's no harm in thoroughly educating yourself on other religions from primary sources.
This is true.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
God isn't exactly a thriller novelist - the Bible isn't really meant to be read for entertainment.

true, but surely an OMNIPOTENT, OMNISCIENT being is capable of "inspiring" a book that is far less mind-numbingly boring.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Luke 15:1-7

"Now the tax collectors and 'sinners' were gathering around to hear him. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered,'This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.'

Then Jesus told them this parable: 'Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who did not need to repent.' "

Martyr-Reb0rn

HSC
Aha oh man... you Christians crack me up...

Lets see...

Exodus 21:7,8
"If a man sells his daughter as a slave, she is not to be set free, as male slaves are. If she is sold to someone who intends to make her his wife, but he doesn't like her,then she is to be sold back to her father; her master cannot sell her to foreigners, because he has treated her unfairly."

tl;dr Instructions on how to sell your daughter as a slave.

Exodus 21:15
"Whoever hits his father or his mother is to be put to death."

Haha goodbye many, many children.

Exodus 21:20 "If a slave owner takes a stick and beats his slave, whether male or female, and the slave dies on the spot, the owner is to be punished. But if the slave does not die for a day or two, the master is not to be punished. The loss of his property is punishment enough."

Hmm... ok... so the Bible not only says slavery is ok but gives guidelines on how to punish them.

Exodus 31:14 "Whoever does not keep it, but works on that day, is to be put to death."

So if a paramedic is working to save people on a Sunday, they should be put to death?

Judges 19
Not typing it out but read it if you want to be appalled at the complete violation of human rights.

Its funny how Christians always seem to ignore these types of passages...

Anyway, might post some more of my favorites up sometime :D

Oh and this one:
Matthew 5:17-19 Basically says that every single law of the Old Testament still applies as long as the Earth lasts.
The bible's laws and writings are just written according to their time period they are set in - hence why they let people bash their slaves, cause slavery was legal back then - and people just change their views on these writings, as time progresses. It also obviously proves that it was humans who wrote this book. Not God. For if it was God, then surely he would know the equal rights and what not? And if it was God-inspired; then why the hell didn't God inspire Moses to believe in fair treatment for everyone. Or was God just going along with the times cause slavery was legit back then, and he didn't want his beloved children to stop believing in him?

And it also goes to show that it's an outdated book that still is being manipulated and reinterpreted in order to control the masses and to have people believe in a divine being so as to find a purpose and meaning in life. Heck i bet that a few years on, when gay's are properly accepted in society, Christians and JesusFreaks will start overlooking the anti-gay verses in the bible, just like they overlook these slavery verses.

Martyr-Reb0rn

HSC
Well seeing as the Bible is "God's word to us", (and the only word as he has chosen not to reveal himself since those times) I'd think you'd have to take it all very literally, otherwise God would have had it made a different way.
oh no thats an easy one. you take everything very literally that applies to our day and age, and the outdated stuff such as the slavery, and the absolute outrageous (revelations) is just symbolic :)

Last edited:

Martyr-Reb0rn

HSC
Much as I'm loath to get involved in such a heated debate (I'm a protestant myself, so I'm inevitably going to get eaten alive...) I must say I've never understood why it's considered acceptable to mercilessly abuse the Christian scriptures, yet if you tried to do likewise to the Quran or the Talmud you would be crucified (sorry!) for intolerance. I guess Christians are just too charitable/meek to raise a fuss...
because half of us arguing against it have been Christians ourselves. i know i have, and from PrettyOldProlix's comment, she has as well. Also, from the fact that it is Christians who have the motive and mindset on converting everyone to their beliefs. Why? because Jesus stated this before he ascended back into heaven; so they do what they are told of course. Whereas a Muslim usually just keeps to himself and his own beliefs (no conversion). Also from the fact that more than half of us wouldn't have read their book; thus don't have any knowledge to attack them for it.

Besides Muslims make a really really big fuss over their religion. Even if you did attack them (verbally of course) they'd attack you back, only by physical means instead. Muslims make a really big fuss because they have the power to, due to the media and society. An example i can remember is the "Cronulla Riots". I can distinctly remember how the media made a HUGE fuss over one Lebanese male being punched like three times during the "riot", yet the media completely overlooked the damage that was done by Islamic males during the night after the "riots". Muslims get away with too much shit.

Last edited:

DJ Uncle

Banned
HSC
the bible is 2 borin 2 read.

rather read men health magazine so i no more bout being BEEF/

Martyr-Reb0rn

HSC
I've read a few books of the bible, the whole of matthew, mark and parts of others.

The thing that struck me most was how deplorably boring, inconsistent across the various texts, and incomprehensible most of it was.

From an interest/readability/consistency/comprehensibility perspective, there are far better religious texts. If you're a fan of the bible, I suggest you look into some other religions, see what they have to offer, shop around before settling down on your beliefs. There's no harm in thoroughly educating yourself on other religions from primary sources.

Believe it or not, there are religious texts that are actual page turners, you don't have to force yourself to study. If you're looking for an absolute moral framework as the best guide on how to live your life, there are better options than the bible imo.
hook me up with those texts you speak of please :D ... i would be assuming that these texts you speak of are buddhist xD, they have epic teachings imo. specially a few of these teachings;

The Law of Balance. - Even the most ancient sages have pointed out that all things are possessed of an equal and opposite counterbalancing force in reality. the high rests upon the low; the front follows the back. One can know beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness.

The Law of Extremes. - When two counterbalancing forces are carried to their limits, they are seen to be identical. One is blinded by a brilliant light as effectively as by darkness.

actually i dont think they are buddhist teachings. i just know they are epic and totally true xD

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah - you can't just pull a quotation apart like that. It's something like 'As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.'
idk
its something to do with Iron that's all i cared about

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
1 Corinthians 1:19
For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

missm2

Premium Member
HSC
right now in my bible study we are looking at the bible as a whole. the thinking question was "jesus was God's fall-back plan when he relised that things weren't working out. TRUE / FALSE"
we all circled false but i found it amazing that even in Genesis 12:1-3 we can see that god had a plan all the way back then to save us.

1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
2 "I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."
God promised to us through Abraham that we will be blessed with land, a nation and blessing.
this leads to my favorite verse for the week:
1 John 3:1-3
1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!​

this i think cements that jesus wasn't plan B... but has always been plan A

taggs-sasuke

HSC
Exodus 31:14 "Whoever does not keep it, but works on that day, is to be put to death."

So if a paramedic is working to save people on a Sunday, they should be put to death?
Good question. :)

Jesus Christ healed an invalid, who picked up his mat and walked

and so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat." (John 5:10)

Jesus Christ replied:

Now if a child can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? (John 5:23)

taggs-sasuke

HSC
Hahah ironic that God is apparently all loving right?
For God so loved the world, that he gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:16-17)

Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself on the cross to pay the price for everyone's sins. We don't deserve it at all but because He loves us so much, He provided a way. We only have to believe in Him.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
right now in my bible study we are looking at the bible as a whole. the thinking question was "jesus was God's fall-back plan when he relised that things weren't working out. TRUE / FALSE"
we all circled false but i found it amazing that even in Genesis 12:1-3 we can see that god had a plan all the way back then to save us.

1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
2 "I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."
God promised to us through Abraham that we will be blessed with land, a nation and blessing.
this leads to my favorite verse for the week:
1 John 3:1-3
1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!​

this i think cements that jesus wasn't plan B... but has always been plan A
God does not need Plan B's he knows every little detail about what is going to happen

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
i would say that my favourite part of the bible would be Luke chapter 13.
I encourage all who still have doubts, because for me, this chapter answered a quesion that has been pondering on my mind ever since knowing about Jesus, which 'why do peope still suffer'
and wen i read this, as well as going to a sermon about it, it really cleared my mind of all doubts, as well this chapter tells you all the true reality of judgement day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)