The Bible (1 Viewer)

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
The parable of Lost Son - Luke 15: 11.

11Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.[a]'

22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28"The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "
homily by Pope Benedict to a group of youth in a juvenile detention center in Rome 3/07

Samuvel

HSC
Much as I'm loath to get involved in such a heated debate (I'm a protestant myself, so I'm inevitably going to get eaten alive...) I must say I've never understood why it's considered acceptable to mercilessly abuse the Christian scriptures, yet if you tried to do likewise to the Quran or the Talmud you would be crucified (sorry!) for intolerance. I guess Christians are just too charitable/meek to raise a fuss...

ajfry

HSC
Exphate said:
Rev 20:7

You know why?

It proved that the bible is bullshit.
mannn what's your motive?
an argument?
what?
cos all youve done there is tried to start a fight.
why not do it in a creationism vs. evolution thread?
believe it or not but my sole purpose is not to debate with you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
i read somewhere previously that someone quoted 1 cor 10:31 - yeah thats a ripper verse, love it!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I've read a few books of the bible, the whole of matthew, mark and parts of others.

The thing that struck me most was how deplorably boring, inconsistent across the various texts, and incomprehensible most of it was.

From an interest/readability/consistency/comprehensibility perspective, there are far better religious texts. If you're a fan of the bible, I suggest you look into some other religions, see what they have to offer, shop around before settling down on your beliefs. There's no harm in thoroughly educating yourself on other religions from primary sources.

Believe it or not, there are religious texts that are actual page turners, you don't have to force yourself to study. If you're looking for an absolute moral framework as the best guide on how to live your life, there are better options than the bible imo.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
so.............. anybody ever read the qur'an??
My mate did. However, his girlfriends (at the time) dad was a devout catholic. Didn't go down to well...

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Luke 7:36-50 (New International Version) said:
Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

36Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."

40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
"Tell me, teacher," he said.

41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[a] and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
"You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

44Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

49The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

50Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
at the moment 1 Corinthians 1:25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

It is a cool reminder when i am made out to be an idiot for been a christian

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Proverbs 4: 23-27
'Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or to the left; keep your way from evil.'
Hope I quoted correctly.

kawaiinlove

HSC
Romans 10:13 "everyone who calls out to the lord for help will be saved"
reassuring and TRUE

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
werd

Mk 4:35-41

On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
"Let us cross to the other side."
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.
A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
"Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"
He woke up,
rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Quiet! Be still!"
The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, "Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?"
They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
"Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?"

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Luke 12:35

"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,
like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet,
so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes.

I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve,
will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready,
even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night.

But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming,
he would not have let his house be broken into.
You also must be ready,
because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Iron sharpeth iron.
Proverbs (ch. XXVII, v. 17)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)