SUBARU - BRZ vs TOYOTA - 86 (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
only green P's and up can drive supercharged cars, not sure about turbo for red platers.
Where are you getting this info from? If it is NSW you're talking about it is wrong (unless the rules suddenly changed)

You can only drive turbo diesels on your p's apart from some low powered petrol turbos (eco boxes). This is assuming you don't get an exemption.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Turbo restrictions are still in place and might be for some time despite speculation they were going to be removed this year.

In my option buy a basic car for much cheaper (e.g 15k if you MUST have new), put the rest in a high yielding savings account/shares/whatever until you get off your p's. Your lifestyle would've changed by then and you might be looking at moving out/investing in property so you could use that money as a significant portion of a deposit.

If not, you can buy a much better car (due to no turbo restrictions) plus the capital growth/interest from investing the money instead.
+1. Basically what I said but giving more of a reason not to spend 40k at this age.

And you can get a good brand new Yaris for 13k.

Trust me the manual Yaris goes hard. It really does.

Where are you getting this info from? If it is NSW you're talking about it is wrong (unless the rules suddenly changed)

You can only drive turbo diesels on your p's apart from some low powered petrol turbos (eco boxes). This is assuming you don't get an exemption.
This. Not sure if OP knows what they are doing.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
86/BRZ basic models can be used with red and green's. Not sure about car's that are supercharged/turbo.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
86/BRZ basic models can be used with red and green's. Not sure about car's that are supercharged/turbo.
Because they're Naturally aspired (not turbo or supercharged).

If you just want raw power i wouldn't recommend an 86, you need be an enthusiast of handling to really appreciate the chassis. The car was no way based a short blast to 100 so if you're expecting that in a car don't bother with the 86/BRZ.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
im looking into the subaru wrx and evo x, but they both exceed 50k

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
im looking into the subaru wrx and evo x, but they both exceed 50k
So confused me, are you going onto your p's or blacks?

They're both turbo as well, don't even bother looking at them if you're on your L's/P's

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
well it is an option after the next 2 years.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Based on this thread, I think you should stick to a yaris.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Based on this thread, I think you should stick to a yaris.
As I said before. You will like the manual Yaris iJimmy.

---------------

Also, just go Impreza instead of WRX because you are going on Red's.

Trust me for now you don't need to be worrying about what car to get.

Just go to auctions one day with a family member knowledgeable in cars and then have a look at what is available in the used car market. You will find something you like, I guarantee it. You will be able to find a 3 year old car for half the driveaway price (based on damage to it too).

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i found some pretty sleek VW Gti 2012's and 13's in the mid 30K range. However wrx and evo x are a toss up.

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
As I said before. You will like the manual Yaris iJimmy.

---------------

Also, just go Impreza instead of WRX because you are going on Red's.

Trust me for now you don't need to be worrying about what car to get.

Just go to auctions one day with a family member knowledgeable in cars and then have a look at what is available in the used car market. You will find something you like, I guarantee it. You will be able to find a 3 year old car for half the driveaway price (based on damage to it too).
this, and be rational
dont think with your balls :D

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm, any tips on buying second hand cars?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
hmm, any tips on buying second hand cars?
Don't buy anything that has roof damage if it has a sunroof. Even if it has no sunroof, roof damage is very costly to fix and may lead to rust in the future.

Check the condition report.

Make sure it is roadworthy and the owner has shown you details about its registration and pink slip.

Check for any dents or bumps which may have de-valued the car a bit.

Check the engine while running and give it a few revs.

Go for a test drive and at least get to 60km/hr.

Check under the body (especially for a low car) and check whether there is any rust on the exhaust or catalytic converter especially.

Check the interior. Many cars tend to have a hole in the centre console.

Check that there is nothing wrong with the seats and the dashboard.

Check that there is equipment in the boot or not regarding a spare tyre and jack, spanners, etc.

If there are any missing items or damage, devalue the car a little bit with reason-ability. Give offers to the car below what they are asking based on what you think is fair relative to the damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)