Studying on public transport? (1 Viewer)

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
So I have a fair train commute to and from school (1 hour), and I usually just read news feeds on my phone. Does anybody get through homework/study on public transport? What do you do?

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
read my prescribed text, read over my typed up notes

speedofsound

HSC
no. motion sickness. and my time on the bus is my "me", self-indulgent, iPod time.

bubbrubb

HSC
It's damn near impossible to really learn anything on public transport unless you are
a. immune to motion sickness
b. it is not too noisy
c. not completely crowded

but even then its still impossibly difficult.

However, even if you are packed like hell on a crowded sweaty bus with barely any room for your tucked in elbows, you can still learn ALOT on that 1 hour trip (or 10 min trip) IF it is the day of your exam!

So for the most part.... its a big resounding no.

K

Kozak92

I read Frankenstein this way. I don't find the trains to cause motion sickness or are noisy at all in the morning..

Easy to read notes, books etc. on the train. Harder to do homework but I have done it.

xV1P3R

HSC
I go to school on a nearly always empty train, so I take out my folder and organise stuff. Gluing pages in, organising my sheets. All the easy stuff with little mental input.

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
On the train i used to do maths. Was difficult but definitely do-able. But you really need for there to be little other passengers on the train otherwise you may get in the way. I was lucky, coming home from school i used to be the only person in the carriage.

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
I read over my study notes :) Or read my assigned english novel if i can't be bothered studying :p

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I sleep on the bus. Then when I get home my brain is slightly more functional, so I can study/work better =\

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't do it - but I'd suggest perhaps reading through notes only.

cassiecocaine

HSC
Hour and a half ride up and back from my TVET course every week. Usually for me, it was study half the time and sleep the rest. I did alot of highlighting, organising, and yes, I am immune to motion sickness :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Yeah I'd be throwin up the last thing I ate if I even read on the train/bus.

My morning bus trip is full of feral screaming primary school kids and its only a 15min trip home so it isn't really worth it

johNNyboy772

HSC
reading on train / bus makes me dizzy

why would you even do it, just do it at home

cherii2007

HSC
I do sometimes. Usually just go through the work I'd done that day, organise my folder, read my english text, stuff like that. Nothing too heavy. I'm less than 20 away from my station, so I'm not given that much time. :\ Plus, there are usually people talking and it's really distracting. :spzz: (Train-- if it was bus I'd get sick doing work, though reading is fine) Sometimes I just look out the window, or observe others. :p Or pass out for a few mintes...

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
train is OK since it isn't rocky and stuff... bus just makes you sick and feel funny. and you can't write properly on a bus... so by the time you wait for the bus to stop at the lights, you only get like a 30 second period to work like a maniac then the bus starts moving. and by the end, its like 3 minutes?

bbychocoholic

HSC
studying on public transport on the way home is pretty pointless for me since my stop is only one train stop away from school...takes like 3 minutes to get there. the only reason i use public transport is because it gets supercrowded at my school with all the cars and whatnot, as well as since the station is behind then school.

but if i'm going somewhere afterwards and it'll be take me over 10minutes to get to by train, then i'll pull something out and study/work on.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
35 minute train ride, get through a bit of revision.. but obviously will always remain distracted by the opposite sex...:snowman:

edit: oh and those f**n Fortstreet students won't STFU

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)