Sharing essays? (1 Viewer)

Aclipse

HSC
So in the HSC,

when 2 or 3 guys from the same school have similar essays, are the markers going to check on that?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So in the HSC,

when 2 or 3 guys from the same school have similar essays, are the markers going to check on that?
From my experience as a marker not really.

Word for word yes but similar no. If you think about it they would assume that the students have the same teacher, probably the same notes and may even study together so it is understandable if they have similar essays. There will always be differences though.

When you mean similar I am assuming that you mean similar quotes, similar phraseology etc. It is even possible for an entire centre to have similar phrases etc and that is because those phrases were the ones the teacher used and so the students learnt them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Unless I'm mistaken, markers get exam papers from the same school in bundles. So yeah, of course they're going to check upon it.

anne1010

HSC
Unless I'm mistaken, markers get exam papers from the same school in bundles. So yeah, of course they're going to check upon it.
these bundles are only in 20 though. im not too sure if these bundles get dispersed or not though.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As I said earlier not really.

If we got two that were word for word the same then yes we would check but if they were simply similar it would be put down to similar learning from the same teacher, the use of the same notes given in class, even studying together.

Many years ago I was in this exact situation with two essays with very close to word for word paragraphs interspersed with similar but differently worded paragraphs. I took them to my SM and that was the reply that I was given - they had memorised sections from their school notes, possibly even studied together etc and that I should simply give them the marks they deserved. I would say that they had about 60% similar in their responses and about 20% identical. There were others in the bundle which were also similar but not so markedly as these.

We would raise the issue it we had two identical responses but similar no.

anne1010

HSC
that may be plagiarism since its not quotes of techniques that a teacher may have given. youre copying an idea in this case. im not too sure what happen though. the likelihood of it being recognised is very slim id presume.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with cem, me and my sisters have similar techniques/ideas because we learnt them in the same class at school and we go same tutoring college. But our wording and writing style is totally different.

Aclipse

HSC
so what i'm planning to do is maybe go through some of my friends essays and give them mine and we would help each other in that way

I would think that an inevitable consequence of this is that in the end, we would have similar stuff...

Aclipse

HSC

If we got two that were word for word the same then yes we would check but if they were simply similar it would be put down to similar learning from the same teacher, the use of the same notes given in class, even studying together.

Many years ago I was in this exact situation with two essays with very close to word for word paragraphs interspersed with similar but differently worded paragraphs. I took them to my SM and that was the reply that I was given - they had memorised sections from their school notes, possibly even studied together etc and that I should simply give them the marks they deserved. I would say that they had about 60% similar in their responses and about 20% identical. There were others in the bundle which were also similar but not so markedly as these.

So 2 similar essays --->

prepared response alert --->

Marker look down upon this?

herbs1

HSC
fuck, i bet half the state has the same stuff given the scope of the texts. How many people use those study guides/go to large scale tutoring places? There'd be hundreds of similar essays floating around. It doesn't really matter, as long as they aren't the same.

HSC
fuck, i bet half the state has the same stuff given the scope of the texts. How many people use those study guides/go to large scale tutoring places? There'd be hundreds of similar essays floating around. It doesn't really matter, as long as they aren't the same.
just so you know, im not using your frankrunner notes word foh word okey okey

anus, my creative idea is pretty similar to another one i recently read (characters/ plot etc mostly different, but similar message/ writing style)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So 2 similar essays --->

prepared response alert --->

Marker look down upon this?

Prepared responses frequently don't actually address the question and so get penalised - not for being a prepared response but because they didn't really address the question.

taeyang

HSC

Hey cem this may be so vague and so naive that it's not even a reasonable question but what are the markers knowledge of everything ^.^ .. what I mean by that is, if they read someone's essay and that person has for instance taken information from the internet and changed the words around and even syntax and all of a sudden they think "This is familiar, I've read this somewhere" so, is there knowledge so broad that they can pick up on very insignificant plagarism?.. I mean, are they going to get a 0 for that? basically a more linear approach to the question is, how lenient are the markers with THAT sort of plagiarism (no.. don't get the wrong idea haha, I'm not doing that, my brother is however.) ^.^

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hey cem this may be so vague and so naive that it's not even a reasonable question but what are the markers knowledge of everything ^.^ .. what I mean by that is, if they read someone's essay and that person has for instance taken information from the internet and changed the words around and even syntax and all of a sudden they think "This is familiar, I've read this somewhere" so, is there knowledge so broad that they can pick up on very insignificant plagarism?.. I mean, are they going to get a 0 for that? basically a more linear approach to the question is, how lenient are the markers with THAT sort of plagiarism (no.. don't get the wrong idea haha, I'm not doing that, my brother is however.) ^.^
Individual markers will have different amounts of specific knowledge on a particular topic. We are also often given information from the most popular websites/study guides etc to have at our finger tips to check basic information.

I do know of kids being penalised for plagiarism in HSC exams due to taking info from websites etc and memorising them and being caught - not often but it does happen.

I wouldn't advocate trying it.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Individual markers will have different amounts of specific knowledge on a particular topic. We are also often given information from the most popular websites/study guides etc to have at our finger tips to check basic information.

I do know of kids being penalised for plagiarism in HSC exams due to taking info from websites etc and memorising them and being caught - not often but it does happen.

I wouldn't advocate trying it.
Can we get penalized for unknowingly writing a sentence which happened to be word for word on some random website? and does taking the information and reproducing it count as plagiarism?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
so what are the consequences of plagiarism- do they get zero for the entire paper or question?

It would depend on how much is plagiarised but my understanding is that if it is serious enough it would be for that question and then a thorough check made of the rest of the paper.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can we get penalized for unknowingly writing a sentence which happened to be word for word on some random website? and does taking the information and reproducing it count as plagiarism?
One sentence here or there isn't going to matter unless it is a really well known sentence where the author is known e.g. using one of Winston Churchill's quotes in Modern History but generally speaking no.

You have to remember that we are marking at the rate of 12 to 15 responses an hour so we really don't have the time to check every random sentence.

taeyang

HSC
One sentence here or there isn't going to matter unless it is a really well known sentence where the author is known e.g. using one of Winston Churchill's quotes in Modern History but generally speaking no.

You have to remember that we are marking at the rate of 12 to 15 responses an hour so we really don't have the time to check every random sentence.
how much is serious enough

interesting

HSC
N/A

but we can use his quotes if we quote it right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)