SC mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
15 balls with the numbers 1 to 15 written on them are placed into a box. What is the possibility of pulling out a prime number?
That was in my School Trials lol, I'm guessing you did the same one as me.

zombies

HSC
Lol, what?
Isn't it 7/15?
Prime numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13
Therefore: 7 possible prime numbers
Total possible numbers: 1, 2, 3, …, 15 = 15
therefore probability = 7/15
haha silly! I got that question wrong as well. 1 isn't actually a prime number.. I was pretty annoyed afterwards when I found out lol.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
haha ooh~ what mark did you get?
97, read a question wrong and lost 3 marks :(, should of had 100

@1 not being a prime

They don't consider 1 to be a prime anymore because it means that there are infinite prime products of any non-prime integer.

For example: 10 can be written as 5 times 2, so it has 1 product of just primes. But if 1 were a prime, then we could say 5 times 2, 5 times 2 times 1, 5 times 2 times 1 times 1, and so on, meaning it would be infinite.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
haha silly! I got that question wrong as well. 1 isn't actually a prime number.. I was pretty annoyed afterwards when I found out lol.
Hahah. No wonder I failed MX2 last week.
I got 96 on the SC though. Which I think was the highest or second highest at school and I didn't study and I came ~20th in the in school assessments. So, SC is pretty easy, don't stress.

Btw, I thought the definition of a prime number was a number that only had a factor of 1 times itself. And 1 has factors 1x1.

Do you guys know what we have to get in order to get a band 6?
No idea.

bleakarcher

HSC
no actually, that would have stunned many people with less exposure to these questions as some dont trust their ability in algebra

zombies

HSC
97, read a question wrong and lost 3 marks :(, should of had 100

@1 not being a prime

They don't consider 1 to be a prime anymore because it means that there are infinite prime products of any non-prime integer.

For example: 10 can be written as 5 times 2, so it has 1 product of just primes. But if 1 were a prime, then we could say 5 times 2, 5 times 2 times 1, 5 times 2 times 1 times 1, and so on, meaning it would be infinite.
Aw you beat me by one! Grr. I stuffed up two multiple choices cos I was stupid and misread them, and then I got the prime number question wrong and in question where you had to draw a square pyramid I forgot to indicate that the base was actually a square and I didn't draw on any right angles or the dashes to show that the sides were all equal.. haha

Btw, I thought the definition of a prime number was a number that only had a factor of 1 times itself. And 1 has factors 1x1.
Well yeah and then so 1 only has 1 factor, like 1 and itself would be 1 and 1, so then it doesnt really have two factors? if that makes sense.. kinda makes sense in my head lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)