Recovering from bad ATAR estimate and report (1 Viewer)

beehappy

HSC
Hi, does anyone have any examples of people climbing up ranks/higher ATAR estimates after the half-yearly reports? I have done terribly and I want to know if a large improvement is possible from this point...

Mdzabakly

HSC
depends really on how bad you did, If you could provide some marks it would help the atar estimators give you an idea of what you need to do, to reach a higher atar, Maybe some ranks? and your school rank, as well as marks so far.

beehappy

HSC
My school is ranked in the top 20 and my marks are all in the 75-85 range...Bottom half of most of my subjects ranking wise. I know what I can do to get higher marks, but I'm not sure if its still possible to achieve a 95+ atar to get into the course of my choice.

Mdzabakly

HSC
Try like this.
Maths 2u 15/25 half yearly mark XX.
English adv 15/16
but with all your subjects, and add all possible info.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, you can still improve your rank and marks. Analyse the mistakes made in the HY, try to fix them and remember to work consistently.

Levity

HSC
75-85 marks aren't that bad and yeah you can improve.

Thief

!!
HSC
My school is ranked in the top 20 and my marks are all in the 75-85 range...Bottom half of most of my subjects ranking wise. I know what I can do to get higher marks, but I'm not sure if its still possible to achieve a 95+ atar to get into the course of my choice.
Well it's a top 20 school, so don't be too disheartened if you aren't ranked right up the top of your grade. Just continue to try your best, and you'll be fine!

enoilgam

HSC
Hi, does anyone have any examples of people climbing up ranks/higher ATAR estimates after the half-yearly reports? I have done terribly and I want to know if a large improvement is possible from this point...
There are many instances of this occuring. The trials and the assessments you have left are worth a fair bit - so you have more then enough time to rectify things. The important thing is not to throw in the towel - this is the point in the HSC year were many people lose motivation and drop off significantly. So just keep going.

D94

HSC
N/A
At the Half Yearlies for English, I was 98/145; my final rank was 35/145. Of course improvement is possible, anyone who believes otherwise cannot be taken seriously.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year, for me in English, I was ranked ~130/153 after the first assessment - after the half yearly, I was 47th. One great performance for just 1 assessment made all the difference.

Lord Iron-Balls

HSC
N/A
I remember a user on BOS that had got about 97 ATAR estimate from his school, ended up getting 99.7
Anything can happen as long as you put in enough work.

Thief

!!
HSC
I remember a user on BOS that had got about 97 ATAR estimate from his school, ended up getting 99.7
Anything can happen as long as you put in enough work.
Yup I remember this guy. Can't remember his username though.

Aysce

HSC
As many others above have said, it is possible to be able to climb ranks although it will be difficult if you are aiming to top a certain subject depending on how far behind you actually are. If you are motivated, determined and hopeful enough, I am very sure you are able to achieve the goal you set out earlier this year. Giving up now would be to sell yourself short and would also be a waste of the time and effort you have actually put in - it isn't over yet.

Back in Prelim (Just to show that it is possible) - I did poorly in my very first 3u assignment. It was only weighed at 15% but the top of the class received a mark of 92% whilst I only had 80%, so if you can calculate, I was behind a fair bit. Although, from being able to maintain my motivation and learn from every mistake I made during Prelim, I ended up coming 3rd as opposed to when I was ranked ~10. So what I am trying to say is that, as enoilgam said, don't throw in the towel anything can still be achieved!

SanjoyM

HSC
Yes! It's still possible! You have half of the course left.

For my first English Advanced HSC assessment task (speech), I was ranked approx 10-12/20 students as my presentation was horrible! Bombed out!!
However, after the Half-yearly and Frankenstein assessment task with continual determination and motivation, I have attained a 1st place with total mark of 95% and the 2nd highest was approx 84%.... So, anything is possible!

Honestly, when I received my mark and rank for my first task, I thought my life was over (lol) and that is was impossible to attain a high band 6. However, with continued effort and motivation, I have managed to attain the top rank!!
My point is that it is still POSSIBLE!!

eat_well

HSC
Last year I was ranked 61/141 in english for my half yearly report.
At the end of the year, I was ranked 16/141. And just like many others have said, it was due to doing really really well in one assessment. Some subjects are also a matter of confidence. Instead of thinking "how on earth can I remember all of this?" you should divide everything up and think "I'll be able to remember this section after 3 days if I work hard". Think positively, don't give up and good luck :).
I can't say the same for this year though as I am in the bottom half but I'm certain on smashing the next assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)