Private Schools? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I think you're wrong there. The selective schools of NSW, generally have a 'general impetus for achievement'. Even non 'selective schools' like Cherrybrook Tech, Homebush Boys and Strathfield Girls are known to do really well.

To be honest - given that you're a Tasmanian - I'm surprised you even know what Ruse is, let alone other quality Selective schools that make the Top 10 cut every year. If you look at the Top 10 schools from last year:

1. James Ruse Agricultural High School ..................................... 1110 ........... 834 .... 75.14
2. Baulkham Hills High School .............................................. 1220 ........... 651 .... 53.36
3. North Sydney Girls High School .......................................... 1039 ........... 550 .... 52.94
4. Sydney Girls High School ................................................ 1011 ........... 499 .... 49.36
5. Hornsby Girls High School ............................................... 718 ............ 336 .... 46.8
6. North Sydney Boys High School ........................................... 974 ............ 443 .... 45.48
7. Sydney Boys High School ................................................. 1287 ........... 576 .... 44.76
8. Sydney Grammar School ................................................... 1229 ........... 543 .... 44.18
9. SCEGGS Darlinghurst ..................................................... 628 ............ 277 .... 44.11
10. St George Girls High School Kogarah .................................... 942 ............ 410 .... 43.52

The Top 7 are all public schools. 8 out of the top 10 are public schools. Go figure.

Now frankly, I'm not saying public schools are any better than private schools. I'm just saying it's false to say that private schools have a 'more learning focused environment'.
Sorry, i should have made my point clearer. By "ruse is an exception to the rule", i meant "ruse and their ilk" are exceptions to the rule. This is proved by your graph, where all the schools are either private or selective. So yes, selective schools do have a focused learning environment.

Also, I don't see how living in Tasmania could possibly impede my knowledge of interstate schooling. Interestingly enough i have left the state before and there is such a thing as the internet.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, I don't see how living in Tasmania could possibly impede my knowledge of interstate schooling. Interestingly enough i have left the state before and there is such a thing as the internet.
You pay attention to schools outside of your state? :p That's quite freaky. I hate to generalise, but kids don't really care about what happens outside of their state. I mean, I couldn't even name schools outside of NSW, except for maybe Melbourne Boys and Melbourne Girls. :p

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea what's going on outside NSW in the educational sector... except for QLD because I have relatives and friends there that ask me questions (similar topics I guess)....

lol. school stalker? >_> lmao

yoddle

is cool
HSC
You pay attention to schools outside of your state? :p That's quite freaky. I hate to generalise, but kids don't really care about what happens outside of their state. I mean, I couldn't even name schools outside of NSW, except for maybe Melbourne Boys and Melbourne Girls. :p
I suppose it makes a difference when there's not much to take notice of in your own state. I was a finalist in National Geography comp in Grade 10 and these boys from baulkam and syd grammar gave me a run down on what schools were in and what schools were out.

Missy.15

HSC
The private vs puiblic debate is such a load of shit and is based around stereotypes, not fact.

I get mouthed by people all the time just for being in my uniform, because I'm a 'snob'. Is that not snobbery itself? I don't see private school kids doing blockies and mouthing passing public school-goers.

In the end we're all kids and we like having fun and we do all the same stuff. You get the odd Ja'mie King type but they tend to be a bit outcast anyway (at least at my school).

Public schools and private schools are good and bad for lots of different reasons.

If anything the argument should be about the effects that your place of education have after graduation (e.g. in the UK only 7% of students attend private schools but they account for 40% of the intake at Oxbridge), and how thats unfair, not the education itself.

Totally agree with you! haha but how funny is Jamie King :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
in UK, i think public schools are better in quality as opposed to private schools.
In the UK, "public schools" are equivalent to our private schools and the "state schools" are government funded like our public schools.

And i've heard that their "public schools" are a bazillion times better than "state schools"

vantastic

HSC
public schools outnumber private schools don't they? so wouldn't that explain to some extent the dominence of public school results in the HSC?

Miz Janani

HSC
if your parents had the money and still sent you to a public school then there are "mentally challenged". There is a very real difference between private and public schools, not only in marks but private school children also have souls while public school "children" struggle in this department. The quality of teaching is also far better at private schools as they are the best of the best and are paid accordingly...at public school the teachers have no reason to care
My parents are not mentally challenged.
They simply lack the ability to speak english. So when they were adviced to send me to a public school (off a university professor) they did.

Now tell me, if a university professor adviced you to go to a public school over a private school. Which one would you choose?

maths94

HSC
i believe public schools are better as you can meet a wide variety of people. from the poor to rich. While in private ur filled with rich snobs just talking about wat they are going to spend next. So when they get out of the private skool and face the real world they will b shocked that it isnt all about money. and your parents cant support u 4eva.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
While in private ur filled with rich snobs just talking about wat they are going to spend next.
Wrong. That stereotype is just as bad as saying that people in public schools are all poor.

SMP213

HSC
i go to a private school and love it!!
but then again, i dont see whats wrong with public schools!
both private and public schools are educational!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)