Ohh the joys of studying! And are these holidays actually holidays? (1 Viewer)

Dispari

HSC
Give me some studying tips!! I'm failing at it. And are we allowed to have these holidays before our teachers turn into red men with pitchforks and shove education into us??

Dispari

HSC
Relax and laid back?? Our teachers are stuffing out heads with "You need to be doing 5 hours of study a week at the least"

enoilgam

HSC
Relax and laid back?? Our teachers are stuffing out heads with "You need to be doing 5 hours of study a week at the least"
Use these holidays to catch up on work you have missed or to get ahead with any reading for english. Otherwise just relax - it will benefit you in the long run, especially during the trial/final exam period. People often under estimate the importance of relaxing during the HSC.

Dispari

HSC
Alas! We are not all naturally gifted with the talent of intelligence

LouisaCar

HSC
What do you mean intelligence.. You don't really need intelligence to study. I know heaps of people that were DUMB and got good grades because of the amount of commitment they put into the HSC. Anyone can do well if they put their heads to it :)

Dispari

HSC
Truth... My problem merely lies with my lack of motivation.. I know I need to study, spend less time out and more time home studying.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I advise my kids to make sure that they know the work they have done this term - really know it - so that when they are preparing for later exams it is real revision rather than learning.

LouisaCar

HSC
Yea that must be hard. What do you want to do when you leave school and are you getting relatively good grades regardless?

ReneeApple

HSC
Our teachers said 15 hours a week absolute minimum. Scared everybody off and very few people studied throughout the year. I may have been a more consistent studier if we'd been told 5 hours :(

Anyway, studying tips. Sit yourself down in front of a mirror, read your notes out loud to yourself, and then teach yourself what you have just read without looking at your notes. Pretend you're teaching a class. You remember HEAPS.

Do past questions.

Gather notes together for all your syllabus dot points.

Study in short bursts (~40 mins) and give yourself breaks in between to keep your mind alert (~10 mins).

Across the summer holidays, I aimed to do 2 hours a day and had Sundays off. I would get up, get my study out of the way in the morning, then go out and enjoy myself for the rest of the day. Don't overwork yourself, you'll need to have had some sort of break because you still have a long haul ahead of you and you don't want to burn out.

ReneeApple

HSC
Truth... My problem merely lies with my lack of motivation.. I know I need to study, spend less time out and more time home studying.
Then sit down, turn off all distractions, facebook, etc. and tell yourself that you will study for only 10 minutes. It's so much easier to get started and once you're going you can keep going.

Facebook and other sites were a HUGE distraction for me, so I made myself a new computer log in on which all my procrastinatory sites were blocked. It helped me a lot.

Dispari

HSC
Yea that must be hard. What do you want to do when you leave school and are you getting relatively good grades regardless?
Well I only need an ATAR of about 72 to get in at UWS.. I wanna do BOA and graphic design. Get into photography.But the start of my highschool experience was damaged by some bad decisions and being part of the "wrong crowd"

Dispari

HSC
Then sit down, turn off all distractions, facebook, etc. and tell yourself that you will study for only 10 minutes. It's so much easier to get started and once you're going you can keep going.

Facebook and other sites were a HUGE distraction for me, so I made myself a new computer log in on which all my procrastinatory sites were blocked. It helped me a lot.
Thats actaully a pretty good idea.

enoilgam

HSC
Well I only need an ATAR of about 72 to get in at UWS.. I wanna do BOA and graphic design. Get into photography.But the start of my highschool experience was damaged by some bad decisions and being part of the "wrong crowd"
For a person of average intelligence, an ATAR of 72 is relatively easy to obtain with a small amount of effort. Remember people the HSC isnt the be all to end all - doing poorly wont doom your future, whilst doing well wont necessarily guarantee you a great future.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I really hope you're right.
A few of my mates got around this mark and all they put in a decent effort, but by no means a "3 hours of study a night" effort. They just paid attention in class, did their homework on top of some last minute study. You only go all out and do an epic amount of study if you are trying to get a huge ATAR.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For a 72 ATAR, a person with average intelligence.
1) needs to do all their classwork and be productive in class
2) Do their homework
3) Do cramming before assessments

A 72 ATAR can be gotten without consistent studying effort. But that said, do a decent amount then you can't regret it later by "if I put a bit more effort in, what if???" but don't kill yourself with study and stress when you only need a 72 ATAR for what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)