• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL: Are Manly the real deal? (2 Viewers)

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
So how many times do Manly have to win and cement a top two place before cynics get off their backs???

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
copious said:
whats everyones thoughts on Michael Monaghan not being offered a contract? he's been playing out of his skin lately. I think a certain someone named orford will be in the maroon and white next season.
I spoke to one of the Manly board members the other day, and he said that it was all talk.

Plus on the Footy Show, Danny Weidler said that talks with Orford and the Storm are positive.

It will be interesting. I wanna see Orford playing for the Eagles again. Manly are looking to sign Matt King too. I know Jamie Lyon will be playing for us in 2007.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Matt King and Jamie Lyon? If they sign those two then they will have a chance at winning the premiership. I cant see them this year, not enough fire power/depth in the back line.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I think we will make the top 4, but I don't think we can win the premiership.

You never know, as long as our big guns don't get injured.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I use to believe that the sharks could make the top 4, but the4 games they have lost wre against the teams who are currently top 4, but they have beaten the cowboys. Its disapointing but id say were looking at 5th or 6th.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I'm a die hard Manly supporter and I tipped them to lose this week. Without BK and Beaver up front, it makes a huge difference.

They played like the Manly side of 2004. Didn't play for the full 80 mins once again.

It was only 14 to 6 after 50 mins.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Smokey_22 said:
So how many times do Manly have to win and cement a top two place before cynics get off their backs???
I'd say that they have to win at least another ... four matches away from home this season.

Or will you agree that Manly are not the real deal, because they can't beat second last when they don't have two quality players in their squad?

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Souths might be 2nd last on the table, but they have some good players that play for them.

David Middleton worked it out that Manly need to win 4 out of their remaining games to make the 8.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Manly will make the Finals. That's for certain.

But like the Dragons do so often... what's the point of getting to the Finals if you aren't going to challenge for the Premiership?

The Sea Eagles desperately need to improve in the following areas:

1) Away from home
2) At night
3) Playing without a couple of stars

Until they can get that in order, it doesn't matter how many matches they win on a Sunday afternoon at Brookvale. The Finals' don't give you a home ground after the first week.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I know they aren't going to challenge for the premiership.

They started the rot against the night game hoodoo against the Roosters.

They'll finish top 4 and won't make the semis.

padutz

HSC
we're in trouble :(

im a die hard manly supporter who goes to everygame and as much as id hate to deny it, i dont see us getting a top 4 position anymore and i also think we will lose to tigers this week becuase we are missing
1. heckenburg - out for 6 weeks
2. kennedy - origin
3. watmough - out for 6 weeks :(
4. menzies - origin
5. dunley - injured leg
6. Williamson - out for 4 weeks
7. Hill in doubt - shouder problem

were missing majority of our forwards... this isnt a good sign

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
padutz said:
im a die hard manly supporter who goes to everygame and as much as id hate to deny it, i dont see us getting a top 4 position anymore and i also think we will lose to tigers this week becuase we are missing
1. heckenburg - out for 6 weeks
2. kennedy - origin
3. watmough - out for 6 weeks :(
4. menzies - origin
5. dunley - injured leg
6. Williamson - out for 4 weeks
7. Hill in doubt - shouder problem

were missing majority of our forwards... this isnt a good sign
yep!

and to add to that, its an away game and at night. Im sorry to tell you that Manly without their backrowers are nothing

davo_

good kid
HSC
People were talking about the great comebacks in the modern era... I would have thought it would be hard to go past the Melbourne comeback in the 1999 grandfinal. I realise the penalty try to win may have been a bit controversial, but I don't think too many people will disagree with it. And probably what made it even more special was the fact that it was in the GRAND final.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
davo_ said:
People were talking about the great comebacks in the modern era... I would have thought it would be hard to go past the Melbourne comeback in the 1999 grandfinal. I realise the penalty try to win may have been a bit controversial, but I don't think too many people will disagree with it. And probably what made it even more special was the fact that it was in the GRAND final.
The Melbourne comeback in the grand final (thanks for reminding me :'() was all based on stupidity.

Melbourne's first "try" was referred to the video ref, and everyone could obviously see that Kimmorley's final pass was at least 50 centimetres forward. However, the video ref (not being allowed to rule on forward passes) was only able to rule on the grounding by whoever it was ... Aaron Moule from memory - I mean, I was at the ground, on the other side of the field and right at the top of those stands, so I couldn't have been any further away.

The try was given to make it 14 - 4 with a kick to come, despite the fact that the video ref saw the forward pass. From there, another huge bit of luck went to the Storm when Choc Mundine dived over the line, only to drop the ball as he was about to place it.

And then there was the Ainscough penalty try. If he'd just left the Storm player alone (which obviously he wouldn't have wanted to do), the try would have been awarded in the corner and Geyer would have had to kick it from the sideline. As it turns out, he missed the attempt from the sideline before coming straight in front of the goals and kicking the goal. So it would have been 18-18.

Oh man. These memories make me depressed, and I have a damned economics exasm tomorrow worth 15% of year 12. ARRRGH!

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
The Melbourne comeback in the grand final (thanks for reminding me :'() was all based on stupidity.

Melbourne's first "try" was referred to the video ref, and everyone could obviously see that Kimmorley's final pass was at least 50 centimetres forward. However, the video ref (not being allowed to rule on forward passes) was only able to rule on the grounding by whoever it was ... Aaron Moule from memory - I mean, I was at the ground, on the other side of the field and right at the top of those stands, so I couldn't have been any further away.

The try was given to make it 14 - 4 with a kick to come, despite the fact that the video ref saw the forward pass. From there, another huge bit of luck went to the Storm when Choc Mundine dived over the line, only to drop the ball as he was about to place it.

And then there was the Ainscough penalty try. If he'd just left the Storm player alone (which obviously he wouldn't have wanted to do), the try would have been awarded in the corner and Geyer would have had to kick it from the sideline. As it turns out, he missed the attempt from the sideline before coming straight in front of the goals and kicking the goal. So it would have been 18-18.

Oh man. These memories make me depressed, and I have a damned economics exasm tomorrow worth 15% of year 12. ARRRGH!
This was a while ago, but from memory I think video-refs at the time were able to rule on forward passes. I do know they changed the rule at some point (not sure if it was before or after 99)

and the Storm were awarded a penalty try, not an 8 point try, so they only had 1 shot at goal and for penalty trys its in front

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)