NRL: Are Manly the real deal? (1 Viewer)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
So will they be the team to beat this season, or have they just had a good early run, but will crash eventually?

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I'm an Manly supporter.

The way the Manly are playing atm is great, but will they play well enough against stronger sides ie. Roosters, Dogs, we'll have to wait and see.

It will be a good test for us this weekend against the Boncos up there. Will see how our defence holds up. We haven't had any problems with putting points on the board, but its defending our line thats been letting us down.

I think we'll make the top 8 at the end of the year, whether we will be a top 4 contender is another thing.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
They'll be a top 8 side, but their centres are pretty average. If one goes out injured it'll be tough(matai and stephenson, though Hill is to come back and ashley alberts is an upcoming talent).

HSC
There's always Menzies to slot into the centres if need be. Like he did on Sunday. And Manly will be brilliant all season, it is their time to shine. They've beaten the Sharks and the Raiders, two other top 4 teams this season. Premiership and it's minor counterpart will be making their way to Brookie by the end of the season!

M | |< E

HSC
There are plenty of reasons the suggest that we are the real deal, first of all we have to start from the start

In season 2004 we had a huge turnover of players and a coaching staff that had a total facelift. The huge turnover of players, nearly the entire squad in fact, meant it would take us quite some time to gel and this was the reason why so many "experts" tipped us to finish last.

We finished the season as the 6th best offensive team.

From round 18 to round 26 last year we won 5 games and lost 3, in fact we were quite unlucky not to win our last 4 games in succession: Manly - 48 Knights - 10, Manly - 50 Rabbitohs 22, Manly 34 Dragons 36 and Manly 30 Storm 28. We displayed strong performances over the knights and the Rabbitohs, we should have absolutely humiliated the Dragons and we beat a red hot Melboune side that recently ended the Bulldogs huge win streak from last season. We infact nearly won enough games to sneak into the finals.

We have won 8 home games in succession, most of these by a comfortable scoreline.

In the pre-season we have worked very hard on both defence, fitness and strength - the Sharks must have done likewise because they are playing strongly at the moment and don't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down. Let's not forget that Manly absolutely thrashed the Sharks in round 2, a 46-20 scoreline - in fact the Sharks were lucky that Hoppa was sent off for most of the game as our momemtum suffered briefly and they scored 3 tries. They have done well however to win 4 games and only lose 2.

So far this season we have won 4 from 4 at home

We have beaten all sorts of opposition including:
- a tough and competitive Warriors outfit,
- a healthy Sharks outfit,
- an inform Melbourne that did stuff in 2 games that would take other teams teams 6 weeks to do,
- the Raiders in their PRIME
- a thrashing of Souths, we in fact handed Souths their worst defeat of their season so far

As for our loss, we have a poor night time record and the boys underestimated their rivals who were on fire that night.

You will definitely see us in the top 6 by seasons end!

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
M | |< E said:
So far this season we have won 4 from 4 at home

We have beaten all sorts of opposition including:
- a tough and competitive Warriors outfit,
- a healthy Sharks outfit,
- an inform Melbourne that did stuff in 2 games that would take other teams teams 6 weeks to do,
- the Raiders in their PRIME
- a thrashing of Souths, we in fact handed Souths their worst defeat of their season so far

As for our loss, we have a poor night time record and the boys underestimated their rivals who were on fire that night.

You will definitely see us in the top 6 by seasons end!
I never believed Canberra were ever in their prime this year, and yes you thrashed souths but lets not forget it was souths, and Melbourne have been inconsistent this year.
However Manly have been impressive this year, and they will make the top 8, but this week against the Broncos at Suncorp will show if they're contenders or pretenders

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I picked Manly to be in the top 8 this year in the dying stages of 2004 and I stand by this. However, we haven't seen Manly against any of the "strong" clubs (like the Dogs, Roosters, Panthers etc, even though their in the bottom half of the table) so I'm not fully convinced yet. I guess we'll see on Friday against the Broncos. Should be great.

gna

HSC
Manly have really good depth this year. We just lack centre power. Hill comes back in and Stephenson out. We have 1 of the fastest backlines. Stewart, Donald and Hicks. Our forward pack is probably the best going around atm........srs contenders this year. Bring back the mid 90s!!!!

HSC
They've got a pretty decent squad... but personally I don't see them as premiership contenders. They have the ability to beat good sides on their day but I can't see them winning the whole thing.

As for Ronnie (Brent Kite)... he's been playing decent but nowhere near worth the amount he's getting paid. Ben Kennedy is playing very good and is probably the main reason for Manly going well.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I think also Michael Witt's kicking has helped them, Brian Smith has a habit of letting average players go and then they all turn into decent ones(tonga, ryan, witt)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
the big test will definately be tomorrow night at suncorp.

i think manly have the ability to be premiership contenders if they keep their heads.

only time will tell...

GO THE SEA EAGLES!!!

M | |< E

HSC
Suney_J said:
I never believed Canberra were ever in their prime this year, and yes you thrashed souths but lets not forget it was souths, and Melbourne have been inconsistent this year.
How many sides have scored 9 tries against Souths this year?

As for Melbourne, they had two big wins over Newcastle and the Dragons before finding it tough against us. They must have been in form as they smacked the Broncos 50-4 the next week.

Canberra had their full line up that had gotten them their 4 consecutive wins. Thier attack wasn't off either, they made about 3- 5 line breaks. They just had trouble scoring. In fact both their tries came from plays that originated 1 metre out from our tryline (Smith diving over from dummy half and Fatt Adamson barging over). Smith, Woolford and clinTON! were all playing and aside from Smith, the other two played for as long as they could. Smith played most of the match anyway. Ever since they have lost all three gamebreakers and as a result they suffered a loss to Melbourne.

line_backer

HSC
Manly aren't the real deal. Once we're deeper into the season and injuries hit them then they will start to lose a lot of games - they lack depth.

gna

HSC
line_backer said:
Manly aren't the real deal. Once we're deeper into the season and injuries hit them then they will start to lose a lot of games - they lack depth.
tell me how Manly lack depth...?

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
I just can't believe we lost our only game to the dragons!!!

gna

HSC
Dragons were the better team on the day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)