• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL: Are Manly the real deal? (1 Viewer)

padutz

HSC
although we got jipped last night, it was a mad atmosphere with over 18,000 people... looks like we'll kill panthers this week

GO THE EALGES!

HBK_9

ThE sHoWsToPPa
HSC
no manly arent the real deal and that can be shown just by yesterday performance

im just waiting 4 manlys bubble to burst

HSC
That was disappointing last night for Manly, though the Knight's supporters must have been even more frustrated after that 2 point loss.

padutz

HSC
What a game the boys had on Sunday... their greatest comeback in history... if you cant call that a great team than youve got issues...

4 tries in 15 minutes

GO THE EAGLES

Random_87

HSC
N/A
padutz said:
What a game the boys had on Sunday... their greatest comeback in history... if you cant call that a great team than youve got issues...

4 tries in 15 minutes

GO THE EAGLES
I cant call that a great team. A great team is a team that wins back-to-back premierships.

They are merely a good team, that have had a good start to the season, just like the sharkies.

Go Sharkies!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
padutz said:

4 tries in 15 minutes

GO THE EAGLES
Let me take you back to Round 25, 2004.......

The ground was Oki Jubilee Stadium. The weather was bad, with light rain (sometimes heavier) falling. The St George Illawarra Dragons, coming off the back of three straight wins and guaranteed of a spot in the finals, were up against the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, whose season was effectively over already.

Ten minutes into the match, and us Dragons supporters had cause for concern. Manly were up 12-0 and we didn't look like we had turned up to play in Tingha's, Kite's, Pig's (and as it turns out, Withers') last home games for the club.

At half time, Manly led 24-4 and the feeling around the stadium was disappointment, anger... the players were booed off at half time.

After 59 minutes, the scoreline read Manly 34 leading St George Illawarra 10.

At fulltime, the scoreline read Dragons 36 def Sea Eagles 34.

THAT was the best comeback of the modern era.

And I was there to watch it. SCORE!

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
We are a different side this year. They will have to prove themselves away from home.

Fortress Brookie has held up well so far.

As long as Watmough and BK don't get injured then we should make the top 8 quite comfortably. But somehow I can't see them winning the premiership.

Lets say it will be interesting

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Yeah, Manly are pretty much certainties for the finals. You are on what? 8 wins, 3 losses and a bye... so 18 points.

Brookvale will guarantee you a finals' berth. I think it can be safe to say that you will eventually lose a game there by the end of the season, but you will have enough wins there to give you a spot in the eight. You only need another 5 wins for the rest of the season to get you there...

What is bad for your team, though, is the nature of your losses.

Two Friday night matches, and a Saturday night match.

32 - 6 against the Dragons. 38 - 12 to Brisbane, and 18 - 12 to Manly. Three poor showings against three quality outfits.

I personally don't think they can win a premiership either, as they are too inexperienced in terms of finals... the two BK's (even though only one is known as BK) bring experience to your team, as does Terry Hill and Steve Menzies, but it pretty much ends there I think.

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
... and 18 - 12 to Manly. ...
lol...we beat ourselves silly
i think they need to improve on their attack. i almost always see someone on the standstill...having no idea what to do with the ball.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Haha, damnit!

Parramatta, Manly... same thing :p

If you look at it from that angle, though, I guess it is fair to say that you did beat yourselves anyway!

And I think a lot of the problems in attack currently are related to the fact that Monaghan has hit a bit of a form slump.

Without watching too many Manly games, I guess another problem could be that your backline doesn't stand deep enough.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
What is bad for your team, though, is the nature of your losses.

Two Friday night matches, and a Saturday night match.

32 - 6 against the Dragons. 38 - 12 to Brisbane, and 18 - 12 to Manly. Three poor showings against three quality outfits.
Give yourself a wrap. I don't think the Dragons are a quality outfit. What happens if you lose guys like Barrett, Bailey, Gasnier or Cooper, when their playing for the Blues.

But isn't that the deal with most clubs this year? Most clubs have won their home games and have lossed away. The Dragons have won 3 away and loss 4. Same % as the Eagles.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Let me take you back to Round 25, 2004.......

The ground was Oki Jubilee Stadium. The weather was bad, with light rain (sometimes heavier) falling. The St George Illawarra Dragons, coming off the back of three straight wins and guaranteed of a spot in the finals, were up against the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, whose season was effectively over already.

Ten minutes into the match, and us Dragons supporters had cause for concern. Manly were up 12-0 and we didn't look like we had turned up to play in Tingha's, Kite's, Pig's (and as it turns out, Withers') last home games for the club.

At half time, Manly led 24-4 and the feeling around the stadium was disappointment, anger... the players were booed off at half time.

After 59 minutes, the scoreline read Manly 34 leading St George Illawarra 10.

At fulltime, the scoreline read Dragons 36 def Sea Eagles 34.

THAT was the best comeback of the modern era.

And I was there to watch it. SCORE!
The year was 1998.

That year there wasnt a top 8, but a top 10. After Canterbury finished 9th, every single finals game they played was sudden death. They came from behind to win ALL of those games, in a sudden death situation.

They then found themselves in a preliminary final against Parramatta.

The ground was the SFS. The weather was cloudy (from memory).

Whoever wins gets to play Brisbane in the Grand Final.

Now with 10 minutes to go, the score was 18-2, Parra leading. The commentators had given the game to the Eels, no one gave the Doggies a chance. But that was a mistake because they had won thier past few games coming from behind.

After making TWO conversions from the sideline, Darryl Halligan locked the game up at 18 all. Canterbury won in extra time to play in the first NRL Grand Final.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
RiCe_GrOwEr said:
Give yourself a wrap. I don't think the Dragons are a quality outfit. What happens if you lose guys like Barrett, Bailey, Gasnier or Cooper, when their playing for the Blues.

But isn't that the deal with most clubs this year? Most clubs have won their home games and have lossed away. The Dragons have won 3 away and loss 4. Same % as the Eagles.
Hehe. That was the point :p

In response to your question re losing players, I struggle to understand its validity.

The Bulldogs lost SBW, O'Meley, Mason, Tonga and Maitua (Myles isn't a key player yet), and they have struggled to win games. However, I would hardly say that they are not a quality outfit. If, and it's an IF, the Dogs make the finals this season, and they have all their players injury-free, it wouldn't be a stupid idea to put some money on them winning the grand final.

The Dragons lose two front rowers who have played for Australia, and three of the best backs in the competition. And then you doubt their premiership abilities without those players...

I'll ignore the fact that without all five of those players, the Dragons record is one win from one start this season.

Instead, I shall ask you to tell me this:

What club in the NRL can lose five of their six best players and still win a premiership?

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Suney_J said:
The year was 1998.

That year there wasnt a top 8, but a top 10. After Canterbury finished 9th, every single finals game they played was sudden death. They came from behind to win ALL of those games, in a sudden death situation.

They then found themselves in a preliminary final against Parramatta.

The ground was the SFS. The weather was cloudy (from memory).

Whoever wins gets to play Brisbane in the Grand Final.

Now with 10 minutes to go, the score was 18-2, Parra leading. The commentators had given the game to the Eels, no one gave the Doggies a chance. But that was a mistake because they had won thier past few games coming from behind.

After making TWO conversions from the sideline, Darryl Halligan locked the game up at 18 all. Canterbury won in extra time to play in the first NRL Grand Final.
You've got me there, Suney_J ;)

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Instead, I shall ask you to tell me this:

What club in the NRL can lose five of their six best players and still win a premiership?
Honestly I don't think any club can. You tell me if you can think of any club.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
RiCe_GrOwEr said:
Honestly I don't think any club can. You tell me if you can think of any club.
Yeah, that's the exact same thing for me. I couldn't tell you one single club that could cope with the loss of five of their best players.

I do recall Parramatta giving the Cowboys a 50-12 touch-up despite having four City v Country players out, but they still had Smith, Morris, Vella, Burt etc.

But the point is, after recognising that no club could cope with having that high a number of good players out, what else makes the Dragons "not a quality outfit"?

I guess people can still bring up 'inconsistency', despite the fact we 'consistently' lost at the start of the season and have 'consistently' won since then.

The thing that I both hate and love about the Dragons (ahhh, stupid oxymorons :p) is that they never play to their potential. If they played to only 80% of what they are capable of, they would beat almost every team in the competition.

This is what continues to make me have doubts over whether the Dragons have the ability to win a grand final. Since 1999, they are yet to show that they can put four solid games together to beat quality opposition.

In fact, in the last season and a half now, the Dragons have only beaten sides that are in the top 8 four times (did the double on Penrith last year, and this year we've beaten Manly and the Roosters).

So perhaps there is some good evidence for you ;)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
whats everyones thoughts on Michael Monaghan not being offered a contract? he's been playing out of his skin lately. I think a certain someone named orford will be in the maroon and white next season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)