• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I'd buy a mac in about 2 seconds... if they weren't so damned costly.

krazy_chris

HSC
For that price range you actually have a fair amount of choice when it comes to laptops these days. For carrying around uni though i've always thought the 12.1" laptops were the most appropriate, simply because they're small, light, and easily slip into a backpack so no one knows you are carrying a laptop as you walk through town.

The sony one you had there looks reasonable, but you may also want to consider the HP Presario BT1959TU, which is $1800.

PROCESSOR : Intel Core Duo processor T2250 (1.73GHz); 2MB L2 cache
MEM : 1024MB DDR2 533Mhz(2 Dimm)
STORAGE : 120GB HDD
OPTICAL STORAGE : Super Multi 8X DVDRW with Double Layer Support
DISPLAY: 12.1" High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
GRAPHICS CARD : ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
NETWORKING: High Speed 56K modem, integrated 10/100 Lan
WIRELESS 802.11a/b/g WLAN, Integrated Bluetooth
EXTERNAL CARD EXPANSION : ExpressCard/54 slot(supp both 34 & 54 form factor
I/O PORTS : VGA, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1394a, RJ-11, RJ-45, Headphone out(stereo
Microphone input(stereo), S-Video output,
SPDIF (supported via adapter connected through headphone out),
AC adapter, Kensington lock slot
DIMENSION : 287 x 223.8 x 28-34mm
* Windows Vista Business

I suppose the biggest issue with this one is Vista. Is there anything in particular that drew you away from Vista?

HP also has the model down from that, the B1916TU (here), which has XP Pro, but it is also lower spec'd and the same price.

Hopefully it gives you a bit more to think about. Unfortunately Sony laptops are always rather overpriced for what they actually are.

Chris.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
krazy_chris said:
For that price range you actually have a fair amount of choice when it comes to laptops these days. For carrying around uni though i've always thought the 12.1" laptops were the most appropriate, simply because they're small, light, and easily slip into a backpack so no one knows you are carrying a laptop as you walk through town.

The sony one you had there looks reasonable, but you may also want to consider the HP Presario BT1959TU, which is $1800.

PROCESSOR : Intel Core Duo processor T2250 (1.73GHz); 2MB L2 cache
MEM : 1024MB DDR2 533Mhz(2 Dimm)
STORAGE : 120GB HDD
OPTICAL STORAGE : Super Multi 8X DVDRW with Double Layer Support
DISPLAY: 12.1" High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
GRAPHICS CARD : ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
NETWORKING: High Speed 56K modem, integrated 10/100 Lan
WIRELESS 802.11a/b/g WLAN, Integrated Bluetooth
EXTERNAL CARD EXPANSION : ExpressCard/54 slot(supp both 34 & 54 form factor
I/O PORTS : VGA, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1394a, RJ-11, RJ-45, Headphone out(stereo
Microphone input(stereo), S-Video output,
SPDIF (supported via adapter connected through headphone out),
AC adapter, Kensington lock slot
DIMENSION : 287 x 223.8 x 28-34mm
* Windows Vista Business

I suppose the biggest issue with this one is Vista. Is there anything in particular that drew you away from Vista?

HP also has the model down from that, the B1916TU (here), which has XP Pro, but it is also lower spec'd and the same price.

Hopefully it gives you a bit more to think about. Unfortunately Sony laptops are always rather overpriced for what they actually are.

Chris.
It's only Core Duo?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
withoutaface said:
For a direct comparison of similar models:
http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22104 $2400
http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebO...clm=MacBook&wosid=r731mCbRQkLT28hluUPoAaZUfyd $1600, with a slightly faster processor.

Even without the student discount Sony are severely ripping you off.
The regular macbooks are more reasonably priced than the macbook pro's. If you only need a macbook then they might be worth it.

I need at least 256mb dedicated video so the minimum for me would be the one starting at $3,999. By the time I up the hard drive to 160gb and buy vista it would cost me about $4200 with the student discount (and then unless I want to pay another $450 I only have a 1 year warranty.)

Sony is generally a rip off as well though.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The regular macbooks are more reasonably priced than the macbook pro's. If you only need a macbook then they might be worth it.

I need at least 256mb dedicated video so the minimum for me would be the one starting at $3,999. By the time I up the hard drive to 160gb and buy vista it would cost me about $4200 with the student discount (and then unless I want to pay another $450 I only have a 1 year warranty.)

True enough, gaming on both macs and laptops has always been a bit sketchy though.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
withoutaface said:
True enough, gaming on both macs and laptops has always been a bit sketchy though.
My current laptop seems to do ok. I definitely don't want a desktop so I just need to get the best laptop I can. I'm having a hard time though. Even the macbook doesn't have a 7200rpm hard drive, and there is no way I am buying a dell just because it is powerful. Unless sony comes out with something new before the end of the year I might have to settle for something less.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
My current laptop seems to do ok. I definitely don't want a desktop so I just need to get the best laptop I can. I'm having a hard time though. Even the macbook doesn't have a 7200rpm hard drive, and there is no way I am buying a dell just because it is powerful. Unless sony comes out with something new before the end of the year I might have to settle for something less.
i've always played games on my laptop but it just can't handle as much as a desktop could.

that's why i'm buying an ultra-portable to use at uni and a desktop for home.

I'm so tempted to buy a mac. It's just that i've never used one and don't want to spend ~2K for something i don't know if i'll like...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The_highwayman said:
i've always played games on my laptop but it just can't handle as much as a desktop could.

I'm so tempted to buy a mac. It's just that i've never used one and don't want to spend ~2K for something i don't know if i'll like...
If you don't like it, install Vista and it's the same as a PC.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The_highwayman said:

I use my computer mostly in the lounge room. I don't want to be sitting in my room all day to use a desktop. I need something powerful but also only around 2.5 kg when I do need to take it places.

I'd never buy a mac without buying windows to go on there. It is definitely a bit of a risk if you've never used one before.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

Erm, a video card's quality is determined more by its chipset than anything else - I'd try not to worry about memory size. But just about anythign comes in >256 now.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
The_highwayman said:
I've noticed that apple have a promotion where students that buy a mac have the option of purchasing an ipod with a $199 rebate.

So, i could buy the ipod, sell it on ebay, and then save even more than my student discount.
Or keep the ipod.

Does the offer only apply to specific ipods or all of them? Because if you got a shuffle, they'd pay you like 80 bucks to have a shuffle.

HSC
bringbackshred said:
Or keep the ipod.

Does the offer only apply to specific ipods or all of them? Because if you got a shuffle, they'd pay you like 80 bucks to have a shuffle.
lol. no, it only applies to the 2, 4, 8 GB nanos and the 30 and 80 GB Videos.

It's a good deal considering i can, in effect, buy a 2GB ipod for $20. Only thing is whether or not i buy the laptop.

Collin

HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
What about this laptop:

SONY® Vaio® VGN-FJ68GP/W
Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology, Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 1.86GHz with 2MB L2 cache and Mobile Intel® 915PM Express Chipset
1024MB (1GB) DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 2048MB)
60.0GB Serial-ATA HDD (5400RPM)
Integrated DVD±RW (Dual Layer) Drive (Copies/Burns DVDs & CDs, and plays DVDs & CDs)
Integrated Camera: 310,000 pixels effective; Image Device: OmniVision 1/5", VGA CMOS; Lens: 2 elements in 2 groups, F2.8 (Fixed); Focus distance: f=3.0mm; Built-in monaural microphone aside
Graphic: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128MB dynamically allocated RAM
Audio: Intel® High Definition Audio compatible •3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support) •Built-in stereo speakers
Keyboard/Input Device: ca 19mm Key pitch / 2mm Key stroke •86 Keys •Intelligent Touchpad
Lithium-ion battery (up to 4.0 Hours), A/C adapter
Ports: USB 2.0 x 3 •i.LINK (IEEE 1394 FireWire) S400 (4pin) •AV Out connector (NTSC/PAL compatible) •Network (RJ-45) connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T) •Headphone jack (stereo mini) •Microphone jack (stereo mini) •Monitor connector (VGA, D-SUB 15 pin) •Modular (RJ-11) connector •Port Replicator connector •Memory Stick Slot (Standard/Duo Size compatible, MagicGate compatible, Memory Stick PRO compatible, High-speed data transfer compatible •PCMCIA Type I/II x 1, CardBus support
Display: 14.1-inch WIDESCREEN WXGA (1280x800) XBrite TFT display (Clear Bright LCD)
Integrated 56K Modem
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Wireless: Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/802.11g •Data rate: maximum 11Mbps (802.11b)/54Mbps (802.11g) •Frequency: 2.4GHz
Dimensions (WxHxD): 340 x 21-33 x 253.5mm
Weight: 2.4Kg (including supplied battery)
Microsoft® Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Adobe Reader 7 •Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 (Installer) •Adobe Premiere Standard •Click to DVD 2.5 •DVgate Plus 2.2 •Image Converter 2 Plus •Norton Internet Security 2006 •Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7 •PictureGear Studio 2.0 •SonicStage 3.3 •SonicStage Mastering Studio 2.1 •SonicStage Mastering Studio Audio Filter 2.0 •VAIO Camera Utility 1.0 •VAIO CameraVJ Screen Saver •VAIO Control Center 1.1 •VAIO Edit Components 5.0 •VAIO Media 5.0 •VAIO Original Screen Saver •VAIO Recovery Utility 2.6 •VAIO Update 2.1 •VAIO Zone 1.4 •WinDVD 5 for VAIO
1 Year Sony Australia-wide Warranty
$1588 Today
Sony Vaio are relative rip offs, and what you post posted cements my point further. Not necessarily saying they're bad machines, but you certainly pay a premium for the Sony name. $1600 for a WXGA+ machine with an old Pentium-M 750? That's not a good deal.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The other point that keeps coming up is that people mistake Dell's low price point to mean poor build quality. It actually comes about because there's no middle man in the sale of any Dell products, and that they're only sold (afaik) through Dell's website, over the phone, and at booths they've set up at shopping centres. Other manufacturers can't offer these kinds of discounts even when they sell a percentage of their products directly, because no department store's going to want to stock a laptop that people can purchase for 20% cheaper somewhere else, and no manufacturer can afford to bring their profit margins so low while still giving the stores a cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)