• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't think there are any problems with networking.

The biggest issue with mac's is the cost. They are at least $1000 more expensive than the PC equivalent.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Christian Edition ftw.
I know a guy on another forum that i post ont hat is doing the Ubuntu Satanic Edition - it looks pretty good so far, even though I hate the name.

withoutaface said:
Except for this little OS that's been running on PC's since the early 90s called Linux, which I understand only really underground people have ever heard of, so it's understandable you don't know what it is. Or BSD. Or Solaris. Or Darwin.

1. Macs run Vista natively.
2. List your regularly used programs, I'm sure 99% of them either exist on mac or have an almost identical alternative, unless you're a gamer.
Hm, never heard of Darwin. Furthest I've gone is dual-booting Ubuntu - Solaris and OpenBSD I will try after the HSC too.

iamsickofyear12 said:
I like the "unless you're a gamer" clause. I have 8 games on my computer that definitely won't run on a mac. I can also see you being very flexible with what is considered an "almost identical alternative".

Either way I don't really like the mac interface. I have been using windows for a long time and I like it... there is no reason to change.

But if I could buy a mac with windows installed and working properly just as if it was a PC right out of the box then I possibly might consider it. I'd mainly be using windows but it wouldn't hurt to have OS X as well. There is no way I would try and install it myself though.
You can't buy a Mac with Windows pre-installed. Download Boot Camp, follow the incredibly easy instructions and an hour later, you're in Winblows. Very simple procedure. And of course there is plenty of reason to change - I like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a MacBook is because of the 1 button mouse (I never really use an external mouse and the Ctrl button is soooooo far) and because a similar spec costs around 400 dollars less in an Asus (and it's easier to dual boot ubuntu fromt he Asus lappy).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bringbackshred said:
And of course there is plenty of reason to change - I like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a MacBook is because of the 1 button mouse (I never really use an external mouse and the Ctrl button is soooooo far) and because a similar spec costs around 400 dollars less in an Asus (and it's easier to dual boot ubuntu fromt he Asus lappy).
I wouldn't really be changing that much. If I had a mac I'd be using windows most of the time.

From everything I have seen similar specs cost closer to $1000 more. If it was just a little closer to being competitively priced I might give it a go but as it is there isn't much of a chance.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Then again, you can pay the extra money for that sexay backlit keyboard...

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
bringbackshred said:
Hm, never heard of Darwin. Furthest I've gone is dual-booting Ubuntu - Solaris and OpenBSD I will try after the HSC too.
Darwin http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ is part of the OS X system. Based on BSD 5.0 and Mach-3 (I think), Darwin itself can be used as an OS (as it consists of a kernel and several other user apps that are used in basic and advanced operating systems but are not part of the operating system itself - such as vim and apache).

I will say that I like Darwin, even though I'm not an Apple fan. The source is freely available on the page linked above.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I wouldn't really be changing that much. If I had a mac I'd be using windows most of the time.

From everything I have seen similar specs cost closer to $1000 more. If it was just a little closer to being competitively priced I might give it a go but as it is there isn't much of a chance.
Student discounts make it around the same as everything else.

gracie007

HSC
What about this laptop:

SONY® Vaio® VGN-FJ68GP/W
Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology, Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 1.86GHz with 2MB L2 cache and Mobile Intel® 915PM Express Chipset
1024MB (1GB) DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 2048MB)
60.0GB Serial-ATA HDD (5400RPM)
Integrated DVD±RW (Dual Layer) Drive (Copies/Burns DVDs & CDs, and plays DVDs & CDs)
Integrated Camera: 310,000 pixels effective; Image Device: OmniVision 1/5", VGA CMOS; Lens: 2 elements in 2 groups, F2.8 (Fixed); Focus distance: f=3.0mm; Built-in monaural microphone aside
Graphic: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128MB dynamically allocated RAM
Audio: Intel® High Definition Audio compatible •3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support) •Built-in stereo speakers
Keyboard/Input Device: ca 19mm Key pitch / 2mm Key stroke •86 Keys •Intelligent Touchpad
Lithium-ion battery (up to 4.0 Hours), A/C adapter
Ports: USB 2.0 x 3 •i.LINK (IEEE 1394 FireWire) S400 (4pin) •AV Out connector (NTSC/PAL compatible) •Network (RJ-45) connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T) •Headphone jack (stereo mini) •Microphone jack (stereo mini) •Monitor connector (VGA, D-SUB 15 pin) •Modular (RJ-11) connector •Port Replicator connector •Memory Stick Slot (Standard/Duo Size compatible, MagicGate compatible, Memory Stick PRO compatible, High-speed data transfer compatible •PCMCIA Type I/II x 1, CardBus support
Display: 14.1-inch WIDESCREEN WXGA (1280x800) XBrite TFT display (Clear Bright LCD)
Integrated 56K Modem
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Wireless: Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/802.11g •Data rate: maximum 11Mbps (802.11b)/54Mbps (802.11g) •Frequency: 2.4GHz
Dimensions (WxHxD): 340 x 21-33 x 253.5mm
Weight: 2.4Kg (including supplied battery)
Microsoft® Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Adobe Reader 7 •Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 (Installer) •Adobe Premiere Standard •Click to DVD 2.5 •DVgate Plus 2.2 •Image Converter 2 Plus •Norton Internet Security 2006 •Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7 •PictureGear Studio 2.0 •SonicStage 3.3 •SonicStage Mastering Studio 2.1 •SonicStage Mastering Studio Audio Filter 2.0 •VAIO Camera Utility 1.0 •VAIO CameraVJ Screen Saver •VAIO Control Center 1.1 •VAIO Edit Components 5.0 •VAIO Media 5.0 •VAIO Original Screen Saver •VAIO Recovery Utility 2.6 •VAIO Update 2.1 •VAIO Zone 1.4 •WinDVD 5 for VAIO
1 Year Sony Australia-wide Warranty
$1588 Today

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
gracie007 said:
What about this laptop:

SONY® Vaio® VGN-FJ68GP/W
Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology, Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 1.86GHz with 2MB L2 cache and Mobile Intel® 915PM Express Chipset
1024MB (1GB) DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 2048MB)
60.0GB Serial-ATA HDD (5400RPM)
Integrated DVD±RW (Dual Layer) Drive (Copies/Burns DVDs & CDs, and plays DVDs & CDs)
Integrated Camera: 310,000 pixels effective; Image Device: OmniVision 1/5", VGA CMOS; Lens: 2 elements in 2 groups, F2.8 (Fixed); Focus distance: f=3.0mm; Built-in monaural microphone aside
Graphic: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128MB dynamically allocated RAM
Audio: Intel® High Definition Audio compatible •3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support) •Built-in stereo speakers
Keyboard/Input Device: ca 19mm Key pitch / 2mm Key stroke •86 Keys •Intelligent Touchpad
Lithium-ion battery (up to 4.0 Hours), A/C adapter
Ports: USB 2.0 x 3 •i.LINK (IEEE 1394 FireWire) S400 (4pin) •AV Out connector (NTSC/PAL compatible) •Network (RJ-45) connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T) •Headphone jack (stereo mini) •Microphone jack (stereo mini) •Monitor connector (VGA, D-SUB 15 pin) •Modular (RJ-11) connector •Port Replicator connector •Memory Stick Slot (Standard/Duo Size compatible, MagicGate compatible, Memory Stick PRO compatible, High-speed data transfer compatible •PCMCIA Type I/II x 1, CardBus support
Display: 14.1-inch WIDESCREEN WXGA (1280x800) XBrite TFT display (Clear Bright LCD)
Integrated 56K Modem
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Wireless: Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/802.11g •Data rate: maximum 11Mbps (802.11b)/54Mbps (802.11g) •Frequency: 2.4GHz
Dimensions (WxHxD): 340 x 21-33 x 253.5mm
Weight: 2.4Kg (including supplied battery)
Microsoft® Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Adobe Reader 7 •Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 (Installer) •Adobe Premiere Standard •Click to DVD 2.5 •DVgate Plus 2.2 •Image Converter 2 Plus •Norton Internet Security 2006 •Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7 •PictureGear Studio 2.0 •SonicStage 3.3 •SonicStage Mastering Studio 2.1 •SonicStage Mastering Studio Audio Filter 2.0 •VAIO Camera Utility 1.0 •VAIO CameraVJ Screen Saver •VAIO Control Center 1.1 •VAIO Edit Components 5.0 •VAIO Media 5.0 •VAIO Original Screen Saver •VAIO Recovery Utility 2.6 •VAIO Update 2.1 •VAIO Zone 1.4 •WinDVD 5 for VAIO
1 Year Sony Australia-wide Warranty
$1588 Today
since you are only using it mainly for university purposes, that should be sufficient enough for you to carry out your work
however for $1600, i think you can get a much better deal than the one you listed
i advise you to just keep looking around, because for $1600, you can get a heaps better notebook
i used to be a sony freak too, unti i realised how overrated they are in terms of price and specs

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jemsta said:
since you are only using it mainly for university purposes, that should be sufficient enough for you to carry out your work
however for $1600, i think you can get a much better deal than the one you listed
i advise you to just keep looking around, because for $1600, you can get a heaps better notebook
i used to be a sony freak too, unti i realised how overrated they are in terms of price and specs
i.e. the macbook I posted above.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
except that the O.P doesnt want a macbook

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jemsta said:
except that the O.P doesnt want a macbook
Then go a Dell. The point about the Apple products is probably grossly misinformed anyway.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the first one looks pretty good for its price
if you must want a sony vaio, then the first one is the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)