• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete_mate

HSC
YankeeChica said:
LOL, don't get all butt hurt okay. you have a tight budget and you bought a slow and bulky notebook, theres nothing wrong with that.I have a bigger budget and I bought a faster and ultra light weight notebook to suit my needs just like you ;) The reason i choose dell xps 1210 was its the best at that price per my needs. I compared with similar spec, size and weight from HP/Compaq/Sony/Toshiba and dell was the best deal i can get. Sony don't even have a notebook with 2.33 Ghz.

I miss that Dell dude and his advertisment.
Dudeeee you've got a dell!
they do make 2.33ghz noetbooks but not at consumer level, but this is for a reason. you got ripped off. if your buying single parts, buying the fastest cpu is like $800 then a 2.16 is like $450 and down from there. this is because intel knows there are irrational people that will pay %100 more for 15% more performance, just so they can have the fastest.

you also got ripped off on ram, you could have bought 256mb of ram off dell, then bought the exact same ram from any store for much cheaper, and then put it in yourself, but you wouldn't know how.

1gb of ram costs $180 which means 2gb is $360. i believe you paid something like $800??

heh, smart buyers know that buying the best is stupid. because next years mid-range notebook will outclass it, which means you waste sooo much money. your better off buying the mid-range each year.

i mean, i will concede their cheap notebooks are fairly good value (if you exclude the fact they're bricks) but you got ripped off on the addons, like a fanboy.

"duuuddee you got ripped off!"

even collin will agree with me

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I agree with pete_mate on that one.

Performance vs. dollar ratio for the 2.33GHz (for ANY brand) will be low, since we're talking about getting a top-end CPU. I like Dell because for a 'relatively-powerful' laptop, their prices are generally better than other brands. In other words, I buy primarily on hardware performance vs. price, and for that reason Dell wins. I hope that clears a few things and we can stop the brand bashings a bit, especially regarding myself and Dell.

But I can certainly attest to the fair notion that we should all be buying a laptop on it's individual merits. Bringbackshred shred might want a 15.4" laptop which boasts reasonably high-end graphics, and no matter how good value Dell usually gives for hardware, right now there is no denial that they simply don't offer the best deal in that department. Bringbackshred bought a laptop which suited his requirements, and similarly YankeeChica bought a laptop she felt suited her needs. I'm a little tired of all this bickering, because it just leads to unnecessary brand bashing. I hope people can agree with me on this one.

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC
If you compare with your self assembled generic notebook such as Asus, Dell might be more expensive but compared with similar specification of processor, weight , size, memory and graphics, Dell was the best deal among all other products. Sony notebook with 12" screen cost somewhere around $ 3700 and it runs on intel core solo 1.33 GHZ! With $ 3500 I bought the world's fastest 12" notebook from trusted and reliable company Dell with 3 yrs Warranty. I doubt Asus or any other company offer similar deal.

2Gb memory at dell cost around $200, only if you upgrade to 4GB in which you have to use two 2GB memory, the price is about $ 950, and that price is more or less the same with all other online vendors. such as this one http://www.upgradeable.com.au/ddr2/667mhz-for-notebooks.html

I personally think you are wasting money by buying cheap $1500 notebook, this year and buy again next year. Why should I buy mediocre notebook each year while I can have creme de la creme all the time?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yes, but remember such an ultraportable like that suits YOUR needs. If I wanted relatively high discrete graphics on a 15.4" laptop for under 2k, ASUS is a better solution. Bang vs. buck on other hardware components are obviously lower, but the graphics just don't hold. X1400 and 7400 seems to be the options, and Dell doesn't offer a 15.4" XPS. The Inspiron 6400 are pretty 'consumer', and Dell's executives wanted to leave the higher end graphics to it's XPS range to fan people looking for a 15.4" with high-end graphics to the 17" XPS. That's fair enough, but it means there's a gap for people who want high-end discrete graphics for relatively cheap.

Admittingly, my rationale for buying Dell is pretty similar to yours (referring to last paragraph of your last post), I wanted something which was somewhat like an ultraportable that was very powerful and I would of got far worse deals going any other needs, but Dell doesn't cater for absolutely everyone.

As for memory upgrades, the 2GB upgrade is $200 for certain models (like the M1210, but not the Inspiron 6000) when you're ALREADY at 1GB. I think pete_mate was under the impression you could choose a barebones 256MB configuration for any laptop in Dell's range. Of course Dell has taken action against that one (and hence the 2GB upgrade is often still more viable through Dell).

HSC
jemsta said:
haha but youve still got 6 days to go
just look at price shooting up with around 2 days to go
if only laptops were at that price though :(
Yeah you're right. It's now AU $142.50 :burn:

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC
gracie007 said:
hai yankee check this out:

how good is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
Sorry to tell you that your whole life from the moment you were born to your death revolves around something American and american products. Huggies used to keep you clean, your daily kellogs cereal, your favourite dress Jeans, your Holden and ford car, your computer and internet,your email, your operating system Windows and your processor intel and AMD, your cell phone that you cannot live without for minute, your ipod, your favourite TV shows, music and films, your MTV, your credit Card VISA and Master Card, everything you can think of in your entire life is either American creation, american product, American owned and a product of american ingenuity. learn to appreciate what you've taken for granted from Americans. ;)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
your operating system Windows
Ubuntu.
YankeeChica said:
your cell phone that you cannot live without for minute,
You mean Nokia?
your favourite TV shows, music and films,
I was under the impression the Chaser was Australian and that Iron Maiden were British.
your MTV,
I'd wager 90% of people on this board think MTV is utter shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)