• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My ranks (1 Viewer)

J18134

HSC
My own opinion is someone who does standard english, 2 unit maths, CAF and religion should not have the strength of scaling to get near 80. Its a bit late but if you were aiming for 90+ I would have picked MUCH stronger subjects to begin with

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
My own opinion is someone who does standard english, 2 unit maths, CAF and religion should not have the strength of scaling to get near 80. Its a bit late but if you were aiming for 90+ I would have picked MUCH stronger subjects to begin with
I'm sorry but I fucking lold.

enoilgam

HSC
Going off ranks and school rank alone, there is definitely enough there for 89-93 and maybe more. The OP's subjects arent too bad (CAFS doesnt scale the best and standard is horrible) and there rankings are pretty good.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
1. OP's in Year 11.
2. Scaling is not subjective. I don't see why one "should not" receive an ATAR near 80.
3. Not everyone has the ability to do high-scaling subjects.
4. Not everyone wants to do high-scaling subjects.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Going off ranks and school rank alone, there is definitely enough there for 89-93 and maybe more. The OP's subjects arent too bad (CAFS doesnt scale the best and standard is horrible) and there rankings are pretty good.
Maybe I just predict too harshly. I also went by the OP's posts on this forum.

Also, shouldn't this be moved to the "ATAR & HSC Marks (Guidance & Counsel)" sub-forum?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
well your opinion is wrong

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think everyone's harsh on OP, given the info, I think they'd get at least highs 80s, with the chance of scraping 90.

J18134

HSC
1. OP's in Year 11.
2. Scaling is not subjective. I don't see why one "should not" receive an ATAR near 80.
3. Not everyone has the ability to do high-scaling subjects.
4. Not everyone wants to do high-scaling subjects.
If people don't have the ability to do high-scaling subjects, then they shouldn't be entitled to the higher ATARs.

For example lets say the OP gets a band 6 in Chemistry and a band 6 in CAF. Lets say its both the same mark for example 95. There is no way that the effort for chemistry is equal to CAF (chemistry would require a lot more intellect and ability to understand the complexity of the subject matter) and and it is very unlikely that the same effort would be required.

Thus going back to both my opinion of the OP's subjects relative to her ATAR aim and that I dont think her subjects are warranting of a 90+ ATAR.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
If people don't have the ability to do high-scaling subjects, then they shouldn't be entitled to the higher ATARs.

For example lets say the OP gets a band 6 in Chemistry and a band 6 in CAF. Lets say its both the same mark for example 95. There is no way that the effort for chemistry is equal to CAF (chemistry would require a lot more intellect and ability to understand the complexity of the subject matter) and and it is very unlikely that the same effort would be required.

Thus going back to both my opinion of the OP's subjects relative to her ATAR aim and that I dont think her subjects are warranting of a 90+ ATAR.
It's all subjective.

And scaling will account for effort.

barbernator

HSC

this guy has no idea of aligning, moderation or scaling

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
*Moved to a more appropriate forum*

J18134 - Scaling accounts for differences in subject difficulties. A 95 in CAFs probably equals a 90 in Chemistry (guesstimating here) under the assumption that a 90 in chem is equal to a 95 in CAFs in terms of difficulty (this is obviously debatable). Also, some people work very hard in low scaling subjects and are deserving of an ATAR which reflects that.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

"shouldn't be entitled to higher ATARs"

NO ONE is "entitled" to an ATAR. You don't get an ATAR just handed to you based on how your subjects scale. An ATAR is earned.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

You can get over 90 if you put your mind to it and work hard. Don't listen to people who say you can't get there.

HSC

UAC scales people, not courses.

1. No subject will guarantee a student a high ATAR.
2. No subject will condemn a student to a low ATAR.
3. The worse the overall performance of the students taking a course, the nearer the top you have to be in order to offset the low scaling.

You can still get 90+ with CAFS and Standard English, you just have to be in the very top percentile to make up for your weaker cohorts pulling you down.

It's all about the people doing the course, not the actual difficulty of the content, CAFS will only "scale higher" than Chemistry if the CAFS students as a group outperform the Chemistry students as a group in their other courses.

Last edited:

theycallmebob

HSC

are you actually serious?
people are better at different things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)