17 - d
18 - a
19 - a
20 - b

*I think

lolwot

HSC
I don't think 11 is C
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/cpd/ll_cpd.nsf/vwFiles/APU_Circle_Sentencing_Oct09_for_web.pdf/$file/APU_Circle_Sentencing_Oct09_for_web.pdf
but i stand to be corrected

edit:nvm i poor english

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Police refer youth to juvenile justice centers where they go through youth justice conferencing. Detention was NOT a multiple choice answer so the next best thing to assume is a diversionary program.

Edit: I was completely wrong, I thought control orders were for terrorism but they're also for detention. GG
Edit 2: Apparently Control Orders are related to preventative terrorist acts.

"Control orders have been part of Australian anti-terrorism legislation since December 2005. A control order is issued by a court (at the request of the Australian Federal Police) to allow obligations, prohibitions and restrictions to be imposed on a person, for the purpose of protecting the public from a terrorist act. The types of obligations, prohibitions and restrictions may include a curfew at a particular address, wearing of an electronic monitoring tag, restrictions on use of telecommunications, regular reporting to police, and a range of other measures. Two control orders have been issued in Australia to date, those applying to Jack Thomas and David Hicks.
-Parliament of australia website"

EDIT 3 LOL:

Nek minnit:

""A Control Order imposes a period of full time custody in a detention centre. This can only be imposed where the Court considers no other order to be appropriate. When a Court is contemplating a sentence of six months or less, the Court must give reasons as to why an alternative sentence was not considered appropriate.
-http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/kts/guidelines/court/criminal.htm"

For kids apparently Court Orders are detention aswell, so fuck!

el heno

HSC
justice centre is not probation

its not sentence or control

It has to be diversionary imo
I said Diversionary, but it is almost certainly a control order. A control order is: similar to an adult sentence of imprisonment, except served in a juvenile justice centre. The exact wording of the question was jjc. Hence it is b. =(

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

"Control orders have been part of Australian anti-terrorism legislation since December 2005. A control order is issued by a court (at the request of the Australian Federal Police) to allow obligations, prohibitions and restrictions to be imposed on a person, for the purpose of protecting the public from a terrorist act. The types of obligations, prohibitions and restrictions may include a curfew at a particular address, wearing of an electronic monitoring tag, restrictions on use of telecommunications, regular reporting to police, and a range of other measures. Two control orders have been issued in Australia to date, those applying to Jack Thomas and David Hicks.
lol :(

SuperMike96

HSC
Police refer youth to juvenile justice centers where they go through youth justice conferencing. Detention was NOT a multiple choice answer so the next best thing to assume is a diversionary program.

Edit: I was completely wrong, I thought control orders were for terrorism but they're also for detention. GG
Shit I did the same thing...

el heno

HSC

Check the textbook definition. Control order is the right answer =(

Renegader

HSC
16 is a control order. A juvenile justice centre is the youth equivalent to jail and if you remember back to purposes of punishment the purpose of incarceration is incapacitation, not diversion (similar to rehabilitation).

Also, it says in the text book that sentencing someone to a juvenile justice centre is a control order, so yeah.

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
What was 20? I know that good old Quentin does the Royal Assent of the bills and considered that a "review" because she can revoke them. Everyone seems to have written the executive applies the legislation. So lost on that one.

and the forfeiture of assets question I was SO CONFUSED is it definitely C?

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
16 is a control order. A juvenile justice centre is the youth equivalent to jail and if you remember back to purposes of punishment the purpose of incarceration is incapacitation, not diversion (similar to rehabilitation).

Also, it says in the text book that sentencing someone to a juvenile justice centre is a control order, so yeah.
It is a Control Order, but a control order in the context of law for 18+ is also related to terrorist acts.

Renegader

HSC
I wasn't sure about 20, it depends on how you interpret the word "applies" - because the executive arm of government also refers to the governor general so by applies if it means make it into law then yeah...

And for 12 I did C because a forfeiture of an asset doesn't really rehabilitate you, it's more of a punishment, so I guess it's retribution.

(Also, what did you guys do for 17?)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I wasn't sure about 20, it depends on how you interpret the word "applies" - because the executive arm of government also refers to the governor general so by applies if it means make it into law then yeah...

And for 12 I did C because a forfeiture of an asset doesn't really rehabilitate you, it's more of a punishment, so I guess it's retribution.

(Also, what did you guys do for 17?)
17 is D

SuperMike96

HSC
1. B
2. B
3. D
4. C
5. A
6. C
7. D
8. D
9. D
10. B
11. C
12. C
13. A
14. A
15. C
16. D
17. A
18. A
19. B
20. B

19 is definitely wrong
I'm not sure but I think your 17 may be wrong. No one has an automatic right to legal representation (established in Dietrich v the Queen). The right was never 'guaranteed' in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)