Module B - Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

Farcanell

I did speeches and this test was great :)

Anyone who did speeches and wasn't fully prepared for it in class must have a fairly dodgy teacher... it was even mentioned in feedback from the marking centre that it was necissary to examine how the text resonated in order to get the higher marks.

arkers7

woops.... i didnt write in the first person...again. Was I supposed to?? God dammit, I think my uai just dropped to below 50. Stupid question anyway, they completely contradicted themselves!! I think they need to fire the gorrilas they have working for them at the board of studies...

dollparts

this above all else?
HSC
did ANYONE here do in the skin of a lion?
i didn't notice the bit about extracts til halfway through... and what the hell is an extract from a regular novel?
i chose the bit where patrick goes to the puppet play in the half-built water works. i was gonna discuss it anyway with regards to a marxist reading. the other one i chose was the bit about taking responsibility for your story and wearing the skin of a wild animal and junk, but i'm not sure if that's exactly an extract. i used about 6 billion other quotes in there, so i have no idea!
and what the hell was that about your own context? i wrote that in our context today we can view it with a marxist, narratological or post-colonial viewpoint...
did i do wrong?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
What a totally gay question...all I ended up doing was making only a few personal judgements and had some arguements over past critiques...good way of filling pages :D

Wasn't as bad as a I thought it was but I said yesterday on the forums...as if they'll ask for two scenes...so I was kinda caught off guard... :uhhuh:

mugrug

Go speeches!

It rocked! So awesome... the question was so easy. No elected speeches and only 2 speeches to write about. It was my last response and I wrote 7 pages before running out of time

I did Socrates (I love it) and Lincoln (the context question just screamed Gettysburgh.)

I'm so elated after todays exam. Such an ego boost ^^

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i rekon that with all the different interpretations of extract
that the marker will have to take in the boards lack of defining what they wanted
and allow for everyones different interpretations
they should have used a different word
none of us really know what they meant for the word to mean
when they were writing the exam
and we probs never will

Z

Zeppelin

I think I screwed up the question too... if I get 10, I'll be lucky. Oh well. The exam is over now, not much point worrying.

For those board members who do read this... make sure every year after us gets a similar question.

CraoPosaune

HSC
N/A
Green Machine said:
i did Lear, used Leavasite, analysied production, act1 scene1, storm, final scene, but did not use my Brooks to refer to specific scenes, but how he used his interpretation, i said Brook's had more value in todays society, due to our world of terrorism and war, i think i stuffed it
yeah, really sounds as though you stuffed it *rolls eyes* apart from the fact that you did what was expected and im assuming you did a pretty decent response considering you were one of a few who knew what was happening...

- jax -

arent extracts just a STUPID BOS term for critical study perspectives?

the meaning you "extract" from a text... ? i mean, for wuthering heights most people only learnt two different critical perspectives...

to those who set the paper.. did u have really have to?

Last edited by a moderator:

GromReaper

HSC
sigh said:
STUDY WHAT'S ON THE SYLLABUS.
True enough, and I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but I always seem to trust English and Maths teachers when it comes to teaching the syllabus; I only study the syllabus when it comes to subjects like science, etc. Not a good idea in reality, but oh well, English is over forever.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
everyone has interprated the word 'extract' in so many different ways
they should have made the word clearer to what they wanted
(i don't know what they wanted so i can't suggest another word)

kendra

I just made something up about the sexual revolution of the 60s and how it changed the roles of women, then launched straight into an essay and readings

i would've thought you don't use personal prounouns in essays

[caity]

I HATE KING LEAR lol the question was shit i neva learnt about certain extracts i was so lost i just wrote about two productions being influenced by context n time haha n then said some crap about modern productions cuz im like essay ahh cant say I its frowned upon hmf im scared to get those marks back now, apart from the fact i didnt finish the exam grrrrr hsc sucks

sub

CraoPosaune said:
One of my friends asked the supervisors what "Extract" meant, referring to a quote before, i dont know how to do that "QUOTE" thing, but the supervisor said it was actually interpretations, like productions, not literal extracts. so i did 3 interpretations and the last one quickly and CRAPPLY and touched on the dividing scene and the last scene...

hey are u aloud to ask the supervisors what stuff in the test means...fuk i was sitting there going...extract...hmmm, i'll come to this later, and maybe i won't see it there next time...no such luck :( well, eng is over thats all i care about...until my results come back and show exactly how far this question fuked me up...

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I thought the question was a big fat reaction against all the 'ISMS' that we have been told to assign to readings. Like there was an article about it in the SMH a couple of weeks back by one of the senior markers lamenting us being told to do a 'Post-Colonial' reading and postmodernism has become such a buzzword in relation to literary criticism so thats how I took the question.

I did Yeats and then did a Marxist reading of the poem which was ironic on a couple of levels- Yeats was incredibly right wing, and there is no way a Marxist interpretation has much relevance to our captalist western world.

Then I proceeded into the 'your interpretation' which was a little bit greyer territory. I think my thesis was something like 'A context defines a reading, but an 'ISM' confines a reading' but I had that all worked out because I was so damned sick of 'ISMS & Postie's' - but then I was prepared to go in to bat for poststructuralism and new historicism too.

I thought the question was kind of good, I reckoned it was great that the examiners are paying attention to what previous years are doing and how teachers are teaching our modules.

lucyinthehole

JoyDivision said:
I thought the question was a big fat reaction against all the 'ISMS' that we have been told to assign to readings. Like there was an article about it in the SMH a couple of weeks back by one of the senior markers lamenting us being told to do a 'Post-Colonial' reading and postmodernism has become such a buzzword in relation to literary criticism so thats how I took the question.

I did Yeats and then did a Marxist reading of the poem which was ironic on a couple of levels- Yeats was incredibly right wing, and there is no way a Marxist interpretation has much relevance to our captalist western world.

Then I proceeded into the 'your interpretation' which was a little bit greyer territory. I think my thesis was something like 'A context defines a reading, but an 'ISM' confines a reading' but I had that all worked out because I was so damned sick of 'ISMS & Postie's' - but then I was prepared to go in to bat for poststructuralism and new historicism too.

I thought the question was kind of good, I reckoned it was great that the examiners are paying attention to what previous years are doing and how teachers are teaching our modules.
but is it really fair to take their frustration out on us, the poor students who know what they have been taught and thus expect to be tested on that? i know that my teacher certainly didn't focus on personal reading, or indicate in any way that our personal interpretation is actually a central part of the course.

lorren

HSC
N/A
i didnt mention my interpretation eiitherrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DavidB

My greatest fear now is how hard they mark the paper. I actually managed to create my own themes and related them to todays context blah blah blah....
But because of the time it took i wasnt able to finish my Frontline speech...AND IT WAS PISSS EASY.
Im worried if they mark KL easier, and i get pumped up the ass cause of it...

MO'FO BOS MARKERS.....U BEST BE CONSISTENT, OR IM A HUNT U DOWN BITCHES!!

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
ahhh dear.. i wrote 16pages on this one and still i dont think i answered the question.. what extracts did Cloudstreet people use?
i used DwellingPlace and Guy Fawkes Night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)