Module B - Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

Randogz

you didnt do it? what are u in yr 11 or something? yeah i should really stop this port-mortem and over analysing. i keep remembering quotes i forgot and stuff. BTW it wasnt a structured essay question, it referred to the responder and asked for a personal response

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
I think that I should add another thing that my teacher said: it will be very interesting to see what the markers do in the marking process, because so many students answer and interpret the question differently. Hmm... I think that the core of the problem is the rather vague and ambiguous question itself!

HSC
All I can say is thank f!ck they didn't specify any speeches.

By the way that was a bizarre question board of studies, did you employ monkeys to compose the exam?

NO MORE REPRESENTATION! NO MORE CONTEXT!! NO MORE F!CKING COMPARISONS!!!!!!

~AmY_PoWeR~

I hated this question most of all too..
I did HARWOOD and i didnt understand how we interpreted it differently because
of our context .. at my school we studied the text, looked at themes & understood her
writings. So i didnt interpret it in any way that wasnt intended!!
I hate english .. NEVER AGAIN!
xo

lamchopz

Christian Unionist
HSC
Randogz said:
you didnt do it? what are u in yr 11 or something? yeah i should really stop this port-mortem and over analysing. i keep remembering quotes i forgot and stuff. BTW it wasnt a structured essay question, it referred to the responder and asked for a personal response
no im not in yr 11. i didnt do it becoz i wrote objectively.

kalinda

HSC
i am just happy in the speeches they didnt stipulate a speech other wise i would have been up shit creek
over all i didnt find it too bad but there was alot of emphasis on our perceptive and Interpretation this year

Randogz

hmm, how much did ppl write? i did a booklet on each, pretty even. solid 7.5-8 pages for each module. would have writen alot more for Lear and Frontline but rapidly ran out of time...

Randogz

...interesting thing was that we should have really known it was going to concentrate on the actual TEXT, coz the papers/tabloids were saying how no one actually knows the story of Lear these days, just the way it is adapted in various environments.

coolkimmy

I really hated this question for Lear but im feeling kinda happy that other people hated it too :giddy:

So was not like anything we had done in class

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Invasion of the n00b's!!!

hehe however, i agree with all of you.. i disliked it but i did a memorized essay for the question... i found the "TWO extracts" to be very disconcerting?
TWO?! of what?
like scenes in the movie or texts?
So i just used two movies - Kozintzev's "korol Lir" and the Ian holm version.
I must thank Hocko for sending me the exemplar... :D

BAH humbug...back to the grind (chem and Pe on friday) :(

Last edited:

m p r

I had a problem with the extract thing too.
Anyone who it bothered should email the board of studies, and tell them your problem, cause we're hopefully gunna get them to mark it easy.
My mum's a teacher and she said we shouldn't have to talk about extracts. And what about other interpretations, not just you own?
i thought it was heaps confusing.

kendra

Could i ask people who did Harwood if they did ANYTHING in relation to the context influencing the interpretation of her insipid poetry? because we didn't

i would've thought discussion of context is relegated to the essay for module A especially with emma and clueless

NothingIsStatic

The Wanderer
HSC
Yeah. I done Cloudstreet as well. I thought that extract meant a scene out of the book. Five of my class mates thought the same thing as well, but most of us only recalled one scene and went hard on into the readings.

razzarach

keep smiling :)
HSC
Oi, did we have to write a reflection? Like use first person etc...? Coz I just wrote an essay.... I did Harwood.... BURN! :mad:

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
If you read all the posts in this thread you'll realise that few actually have similar ideas in their answers; most of us interpret and answer the question differently. This is unlike question 3 of paper 1, where most of us more or less had the same idea in our answers.

Since HSC markers must take into account the different interpretations that students have to the question AND their actual interpretations to the text, they will have an ULTRA-HARD time marking this particular question IMO.

sigh

HSC
This is why everyone at my school is given a copy of the syllabus for every single year eleven and twelve topic covered. It's also why syllabus documents are available on the internet. AND it's why one of the main study tips I've ever been given is STUDY WHAT'S ON THE SYLLABUS.

An examiner cannot ask you a question if there is nothing about in the syllabus. In my english class we made headings of everything we were supposed to know about each speech, and filled it in accordingly. Two of these headings happened to have been 'Reception at time of delivery' and 'Subsequent receptions'. I'm sure if you checked the syllabus for your topics, you'd see a fairly similar thing.

Wasn't a question out of nowhere.

Green Machine

software engineer
HSC
Craig said:
Ah yeah I did. I did a major analysis of act 1 scene 1 and the storm scene. Also I gave brief mention to the final scene and how those scenes showed the ideas of a political interpretation.
i did the same thing, used levisite reading of lear, analysed production, used act1 scene1, storm scene, and final scene, but refered to other scenes in my existentialist (brooks) :(

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
kendra said:
Could i ask people who did Harwood if they did ANYTHING in relation to the context influencing the interpretation of her insipid poetry? because we didn't

i would've thought discussion of context is relegated to the essay for module A especially with emma and clueless
the only thing even faintly resembling that we did was the different readings.
I just rambled on for 3 pages about what i thought the poems were supposed to mean then dot-pointed all this crap about different interpreatations

CraoPosaune

HSC
N/A
One of my friends asked the supervisors what "Extract" meant, referring to a quote before, i dont know how to do that "QUOTE" thing, but the supervisor said it was actually interpretations, like productions, not literal extracts. so i did 3 interpretations and the last one quickly and CRAPPLY and touched on the dividing scene and the last scene...

Green Machine

software engineer
HSC
i did Lear, used Leavasite, analysied production, act1 scene1, storm, final scene, but did not use my Brooks to refer to specific scenes, but how he used his interpretation, i said Brook's had more value in todays society, due to our world of terrorism and war, i think i stuffed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)