Module B - Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

natalie22

This was the hardest of the module questions however it was good that it didnt specify a speech that u had 2 do...coz let me tell u trying to learn 12 speeches on top of the other 4 billion texts u had to know was friggen hard..therefore i had only learnt 2 so lucky for me!!
the question kinda suited speeches coz of the whole context and interpretations so i reckon it would have been hard 4 all u guys who did king lear n stuff...but then again u werent all fretting last night about how u didnt no 10 out of the 12 speeches!!

all in all, i say sucked in2 the ppl who still have english extension 2 do...but still i wish u the best of luck...for u r far more intelligent than me!! cheers!

natalie22

GromReaper said:
True enough, and I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but I always seem to trust English and Maths teachers when it comes to teaching the syllabus; I only study the syllabus when it comes to subjects like science, etc. Not a good idea in reality, but oh well, English is over forever.
Lol,we werent even given a syllabus 2 go by 4 english...kinda just went with the flow of it all n trusted the teachers!

the question def gave ppl an unfair advantage!! but oh well....

ENGLISH IS OVER!!! YAY!! :p

Last edited:

sigh

HSC
ok if anyone thinks that people doing the speeches unit had an unfair advantage, let me clear that up for you right now. I had to learn TWELVE different separate texts... on top of every other text we needed.... how many did you have to learn for this module... one? Jsut because the speeches people (mostly) actually managed to answer the question doesn't mean we had an unfair advantage!!

And as for responses to the question, I know I answered it in terms of the different contexts, but due to the HUGE AMOUNT of texts I had to learn, my answer was severely lacking in detail and i only managed 6 pages. Considering I was hitting about 9 for everything else, I'd say I wasn't unfairly advantaged because I had to learn 11 extra texts to others.

natalie22

sigh said:
ok if anyone thinks that people doing the speeches unit had an unfair advantage, let me clear that up for you right now. I had to learn TWELVE different separate texts... on top of every other text we needed.... how many did you have to learn for this module... one? Jsut because the speeches people (mostly) actually managed to answer the question doesn't mean we had an unfair advantage!!

And as for responses to the question, I know I answered it in terms of the different contexts, but due to the HUGE AMOUNT of texts I had to learn, my answer was severely lacking in detail and i only managed 6 pages. Considering I was hitting about 9 for everything else, I'd say I wasn't unfairly advantaged because I had to learn 11 extra texts to others.
i, as a fellow 12 speech learner 150% agree with u..im saying that others had an advantage n we were the disadvantaged....i ended up getting so confused with the whole 12 that i started misquoting in my essay! n yeah only wrote 5-7pages which was 4pages less than my other ones!! *cries* stupid speeches....

sigh

HSC
well as many people have said - at least it's over now!!! And extension englsih is actually kinda cool - it's none of this stupid techniques bullshit - just plain analysing a text... gee ... isn't that what english is supposed to be? analysing stuff and thinking, rather than learning fancy names to constantly answer HOW questions

S

Shuter

Right on, sing it sister!

Yeah the question definatly ended up easier for us, thank god for that.

Shards

HSC
Argh

ARGH!

I didn't even read the question properply :S
it said considering your time and place...YOUR time and place... I just blabbed on about different interperations and differing contexnts :S

Midori

It was ok except the extract thing. that was fucked! its impossible to establish a reading without following it throughout the play, and, to answer that question properly, with insight u need at least three thousand words, not forty minutes
FUCK THEM for giving us a question that half the state are gonna fail

Midori

natalie22 said:
i, as a fellow 12 speech learner 150% agree with u..im saying that others had an advantage n we were the disadvantaged....i ended up getting so confused with the whole 12 that i started misquoting in my essay! n yeah only wrote 5-7pages which was 4pages less than my other ones!! *cries* stupid speeches....
Ok no offence speeches people, but even though you had twelve texts to learn, they amounted to like learning one think book. its like each speech was a scene or something. stop feeling sorry for yourselves

Shards

HSC
no one's feeling sorry for themselves

but just to clear it up, for each speech, there was a different historical context, a different purpose, different audiences, different receptions, different readings, different values, different structures, different styles of rhetoric useage and different backgrounds of speakers

and the question could've specified any of these as well as a speech/speeches

so it's not any easier than any other elective for this module

and I might just add... some of the speeches are over 7 pages in length

sigh

HSC
THANK YOU SHARDS!!!! finally other people who know exactly what I'm talking about... Speeches people aren't feeling sorry for themselves, they're getting pissed off at people assuming we had it easier. We didn't. No one did. So stop trying to find people who've got "unfair advantages" to blame for u screwing up the question, and just accept that everyone had it as equal as it was going to get... We had to do novels in other modules, jsut as we all did a film, and a set of poems and a shakespeare text... we know what it's like to study a novel... theres a difference.

S

Shuter

sigh said:
Speeches people aren't feeling sorry for themselves, they're getting pissed off at people assuming we had it easier.
Nah if they're anything like me they're kicking back and laughing at how the manadged to fluke the HSC english exams, something that can never be changed.

That question was so incrediably easy for me and should have been for all speeches people. I was so lazy I took the gamble of not even reading some of the speeches (Emma goldman with whatever the hell she was on about, Noel person and his whinging or whatever, Valclav Havel or whoever he was, I couldn't even spell his name so I figured best not to read his speech). The gamble paid off and I thank god I didn't get screwed.

sigh

HSC
.. I wish the powerplay option had been as easy as this one.. stupid antony and cleopatra :|

katy12345

were we supposed to talk in first person in some parts? they always told us not to use first person in an essay.....how can u give u interpretation without 1st person?

rumpos

HSC
you ppl are lucky

our school didnt even tell us to have our own personal readings. for king lear or yeats, all we got were other readings, such as marxist or new critical or romantic etc

so our whole year couldnt address the whole "considering your time and place" part of the question

but the question was ambigous cos it goes "reflect on the ways that context has..." . the word context can be your context or context of the text

crappy crappy question

all i did was present my two critical readings, and throughout the whole essay i went "new critical sucks" and "go marxism!"

Angel45

HSC
Module B seemed to be completely different from the way we had looked at King Lear in class. In class we were looking at the way different critical theories interpreted the play and how different productions that supported those theories had staged it. Either way, in our study of the play we had never really considered OUR interpretation or how context came into the other critical theories. I just freaked out and wrote on what I'd studied. Barely responding to the question. Like, I did "family drama" as well as "aristotelian" and I was thinking what, for family drama am I meant to make up some bs story on how I have sisters who I am in rivalry with because the youngest one is favoured or something like that?!? I just couldn't work out how to answer it. Also, my response turned in to more of a diary entry than a well-structured essay!!

However, on the news the other night re. Paper I they were saying how they look at the students' responses and how the majority have interepreted it and go from there on how to mark 'em. Cause they can't fail everyone!! So perhaps they will realise it was a bit bizarre, maybe even some misunderstanding of the syllabus on our teacher's part, and mark accordingly. Fingers crossed anyway!

sub

bitchymcbitch said:
ahhh dear.. i wrote 16pages on this one and still i dont think i answered the question.. what extracts did Cloudstreet people use?
i used DwellingPlace and Guy Fawkes Night
yeah i used "back in time" and i sorta blurred in the end reconciliation image towards the end as another extract - but then again i did post colonial and feminist reading...what did u end up doing?

annawow

HSC
bloody hell i hated that question- context-wtf. bloody bronte. we had never done anything about context- i just wrote shite - i hope that will work!?!

olay

HSC
*bursts into tears*.

way to ruin one of my very fave novels. i gave liberal humanist + postmodernist perspectives. not mine. and ignored that 'two extracts' bit. *fail*. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)