maths (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes because it's an entirely new course.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
if your school isnt a complete asswipe like mine which doesn't allow half of the bottom 5.3 to do 3u then you should be fine

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
My school says that if u aren't in the accelerated class then u have to consistently score 90+ in all tests and u have to write a full on page about why u wish to do MX1.

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
My school only let the very top of 5.3 do 3U. It varies from school to school.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
ok also if you are doing 2 unit, if you say, do really well on the first exam, can you ask to be pushed up to 3 unit?
yeah u can but u might need to catch up on some work u missed.

Last edited:

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
My school says that if u aren't in the accelerated class then u have to consistently score 90+ in all tests and u have to write a full on page about why u wish to do MX1.
Your school asks too much of its students in my opinion :/

enoilgam

HSC
Yes because it's an entirely new course.
Not exactly - 5.2 doesnt cover certain topics which are assumed knowledge for 2U and MX1. Usually, most schools require 5.2 students to sit an exam if they want to go a higher level of maths - so they need to learn 5.3 content on their own.

Personally, I have a big issue with the current system and the way schools treat maths in junior school. Schools are very reluctant to move students across maths classes in Years 9 and 10 and they often refuse to allow 5.1/5.2 students to do higher level maths. So essentially, schools are restricting the options of students for senior school based on their results in Year 8 which is utterly ridiculous. I tutor Year 7-10 maths and I have seen a few talented students miss out on 2U and 3U simply because they had an off year in Year 8 and the school refuses to move them up despite their obvious skill. I think something needs to be done to allow for easier promotions, because the current system is grossly unfair.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not exactly - 5.2 doesnt cover certain topics which are assumed knowledge for 2U and MX1. Usually, most schools require 5.2 students to sit an exam if they want to go a higher level of maths - so they need to learn 5.3 content on their own.

Personally, I have a big issue with the current system and the way schools treat maths in junior school. Schools are very reluctant to move students across maths classes in Years 9 and 10 and they often refuse to allow 5.1/5.2 students to do higher level maths. So essentially, schools are restricting the options of students for senior school based on their results in Year 8 which is utterly ridiculous. I tutor Year 7-10 maths and I have seen a few talented students miss out on 2U and 3U simply because they had an off year in Year 8 and the school refuses to move them up despite their obvious skill. I think something needs to be done to allow for easier promotions, because the current system is grossly unfair.
To be fair though, half of Term 1 in 2u is pretty much Year 10 revision. They'll learn it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)