Literally can't enroll in anything else :( (2 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
MINE1010 is online for semester 2. It may be full though.

Try looking at all the other first year electives. Brace yourself - you may end up doing something you don't really like.

Don't do level 2 or 3 or higher courses. Technically you haven't even completed this semester's 24 UOC, and to even think about enrolling into a level 3 course will probably be laughed at by the Mech office. Also, there is a requirement that if you have options between higher and lower year courses, the lower year courses are the priority. However, if it so happens that you have to do a Level 2 course, then you should probably do MMAN2600 - but beware, it is very Physics based and I would say the skills and breadth of MMAN1300 assists with later year courses since that is really the first real engineering focused subject that you will do. You should still attempt to find a first year course instead.

I did MATH1241, ELEC1111, SOLA1070 and MMAN1300 for my first year semester 2.

You should ask the School of Maths to let you enrol into the MATH1081 lecture, if there are tutorial spots open. Call or visit in person, don't email unless they ask you to.

Gen eds are allowed to be do before reaching 48 UOC but that is at the discretion of the School of Mech.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
MINE1010 is online for semester 2. It may be full though.

Try looking at all the other first year electives. Brace yourself - you may end up doing something you don't really like.

Don't do level 2 or 3 or higher courses. Technically you haven't even completed this semester's 24 UOC, and to even think about enrolling into a level 3 course will probably be laughed at by the Mech office. Also, there is a requirement that if you have options between higher and lower year courses, the lower year courses are the priority. However, if it so happens that you have to do a Level 2 course, then you should probably do MMAN2600 - but beware, it is very Physics based and I would say the skills and breadth of MMAN1300 assists with later year courses since that is really the first real engineering focused subject that you will do. You should still attempt to find a first year course instead.

I did MATH1241, ELEC1111, SOLA1070 and MMAN1300 for my first year semester 2.

You should ask the School of Maths to let you enrol into the MATH1081 lecture, if there are tutorial spots open. Call or visit in person, don't email unless they ask you to.

Gen eds are allowed to be do before reaching 48 UOC but that is at the discretion of the School of Mech.
isn't ELEC1111 part of the core mechanical engineering you do in 2nd year? because the lady at the mech office said i can't choose it as an elective because i have to do it later

HSC
N/A
but if i replace semester 2 (2015) subjects with semester 2 (2014) subjects wouldn't i just have this same problem next year?
Maybe, but less likely and you have to deal with less cores. I'm suggesting only cores that could fit in to give the opportunity of keeping the Science degree too and the subject combination in the timetable was the only one (excluding Sci degree subjects) which does not clash and that you could do (prereqs met). I know some people who are doing Level 2 courses and above in their first year, myself included, though it's entirely your choice.

MATH1081 is full but there are still some tutorial spots open so is there a way to get in?

http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2014/MATH1081.html#S2S
Request from School of Maths

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe, but less likely and you have to deal with less cores. I'm suggesting only cores that could fit in to give the opportunity of keeping the Science degree too and the subject combination in the timetable was the only one (excluding Sci degree subjects) which does not clash and that you could do (prereqs met). I know some people who are doing Level 2 courses and above in their first year, myself included, though it's entirely your choice.
IMO; the science degree is a dead end for me. I would have liked to major in computer science but realistically it does not seem like such a option.

Request from School of Maths
do i have to go to level 3 red center and fill in the form? or can i just send an email?

HSC
N/A
isn't ELEC1111 part of the core mechanical engineering you do in 2nd year? because the lady at the mech office said i can't choose it as an elective because i have to do it later
Can't choose ELEC1111 because you will be doing ELEC1112 and an exclusion exist between ELEC1112 and ELEC1111.

HSC
N/A
IMO; the science degree is a dead end for me. I would have liked to major in computer science but realistically it does not seem like such a option.

do i have to go to level 3 red center and fill in the form? or can i just send an email?
It could be faster if you went to Francy Fan's office explaining to get a spot in lecture + a clash approval.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Can't choose ELEC1111 because you will be doing ELEC1112 and an exclusion exist between ELEC1112 and ELEC1111.
i remember AD saying on the bos meet-up that they are the "same-thing"...... will check this more thoroughly
It could be faster if you went to Francy Fan's office explaining to get a spot in lecture + a clash approval.
i thought she had no power over that and i have to speak to peter brown (director of 1st year maths). have been much mislead

D94

HSC
N/A
As I said, I did ELEC1111 in semester 2 of my first year. I didn't do it as an elective - I did it as my core.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
As I said, I did ELEC1111 in semester 2 of my first year. I didn't do it as an elective - I did it as my core.
o_O so i assume you just did a first year elective a little bit later?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have told you this before and yes you can do it.

I know someone in mechatronics who did it this sem.

1111 and 1112 are given the exact same paper at the end any way.

I'm pretty sure they are the same.

And students who do 1111 are allowed to do 2141 too.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/ELEC2141.html

You should definitely consider doing 1111 next sem.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I have told you this before and yes you can do it.

I know someone in mechatronics who did it this sem.

1111 and 1112 are given the exact same paper at the end any way.

I'm pretty sure they are the same.

And I am also pretty sure that students who do 1111 are allowed to do 2141 too.

Don't ask the school of mech this. Ask school of elec. Ultimately they have the power to let you do 2141.

So ask them and you can confirm your answer. If so then you should definitely consider doing 1111 next sem.
so this would mean that i would be "skipping" a course because it counts as both an elective and core? so i have 6UoC up my sleeve?

edit: I like the bunny

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
so this would mean that i would be "skipping" a course because it counts as both an elective and core?

edit: I like the bunny
edited my post as above.

It is confirmed allowed to do 2141.

Well I think the only difference is the prescribed textbook (which actually in 1112 we don't touch the textbook but the questions are similar to them) and the lectures/tutors.

However D94 had people from elec when I asked and one of them was my tutor this semester so even that is probably unchanged.

If you look at the handbook it says that 1111 and 1112 are equivalent.

So you are not skipping anything at all. It is a core.

However, this is where you need to ask school of mech because they could be really pedantic over it or something.

At school of elec a lot of stuff is quite flexible. I think they even offer 1112 in summer semester too.

But seriously if you do 1111 this semester, it also opens the option for you to do 2141 next semester too, which imo is a pretty good option considering how enjoyable of a course it is and how its really not that difficult.

EDIT: I am the Duracell bunny in disguise.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
edited my post as above.

It is confirmed allowed to do 2141.

Well I think the only difference is the prescribed textbook (which actually in 1112 we don't touch the textbook but the questions are similar to them) and the lectures/tutors.

However D94 had people from elec when I asked and one of them was my tutor this semester so even that is probably unchanged.

If you look at the handbook it says that 1111 and 1112 are equivalent.

So you are not skipping anything at all. It is an elective and core.

However, this is where you need to ask school of mech because they could be really pedantic over it or something.

At school of elec a lot of stuff is quite flexible. I think they even offer 1112 in summer semester too.

But seriously if you do 1111 this semester, it also opens the option for you to do 2141 next semester too, which imo is a pretty good option considering how enjoyable of a course it is and how its really not that difficult.

EDIT: I am the Duracell bunny in disguise.
reason why i dont want to be to haste with doing electrical is that i might change my plan later on. http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/mechanical-engineering/program-outlines is where i look at what subjects i need to do so i usually just do the blue squares first so that i can change if i need to. I mean i like mechatronics but realistically; if i am not very good at programming i have to look at other options.

I might do elec111X in the summer because plans fell through

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
reason why i dont want to be to haste with doing electrical is that i might change my plan later on. http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/mechanical-engineering/program-outlines is where i look at what subjects i need to do so i usually just do the blue squares first so that i can change if i need to. I mean i like mechatronics but realistically; if i am not very good at programming i have to look at other options.

I might do elec111X in the summer because plans fell through
You do realise that elec1111 is actually a requirement for mechanical as well.

Aerospace too. In fact I think you need it for everything in school of mech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)