• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law in University (1 Viewer)

lionking1191

HSC
I think Eng Standard is recommended knowledge. meaning as long as you aren't fob you'll be ok. though i'd imagine you should do relatively well in english if you want to do a LLB.

HSC
N/A
im pretty sure you only need english standard... but english advanced is recommended

bawd

HSC
I personally would think the bare minimum is English Advanced, but I strongly think you should do Extension 1 to give you that extra edge in critical thinking.

lionking1191

HSC
bawd said:
I personally would think the bare minimum is English Advanced, but I strongly think you should do Extension 1 to give you that extra edge in critical thinking.
critical thinking wise, modern history > ext 1

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i am pretty sure you need advanced at least... well i mean, if you want to do law and only do standard, your level of english isn't exactly high... it's better to do more units of english. law DOES require a really good level of english.

and yes i agree with lionking. modern > all

HSC
technically the minimum req is standard but i seriously doubt there are many studying law that did standard. advanced is recommended.

bawd

HSC
lionking1191 said:
Really? I thought Modern History was more of a Cause/Effect type of subject.

E

Empyrean444

Modern history is very much a "cause/effect" subject. This does not in any way restrict its use in the critical thinking department. It requires the ability to 'Identify' what is/are the real cause(s), the significant effect(s), and how different concepts (or "isms") are linked to it.
It would be a stretch to say it is >ext eng in this department, but it is on a par with it.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
everyone I know who does law did 3-4U English and they say there's no way they'd be getting through it now without it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
ahen said:
everyone I know who does law did 3-4U English and they say there's no way they'd be getting through it now without it.
Really? =\
I'm doing relatively well in English at SBHS (8th and 21st in Extension and Advanced, respectively), and I've been recommended to do Extension in Yr 12, but I'm considering dropping Extension because I just want 10 Units next year....

Would that affect my chances at Law? If not, would it be a detriment to me further down the track?

doink

Clone
HSC
Well if you are writing things like "Law in University" You might be wise doing Advanced.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
a band 5 to 6 in advanced should be fine. i dare say a band 6 in standard would be fine too.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sikhman said:
i reckon if ur not doing advanced u'd struggle with law.....friends say its filled with essays...
Not really, essay skills required at uni are very different to high school and they can be taught and learnt with practice, take whatever level you are proficient in to ensure you get the best UAI you can.

I did advanced at high school and found it wasn't much help in law. High school English isn't indicative of how you will perform at uni and you definately don't need ext 1 or 2.

ChrisQ

HSC
We only have one English subject taught here in VCE & most law courses just require a high study score (usually over 30) as a pre-req.

IMO I dont believe it would matter to much.

Would a person who did poorly at advanced be looked at better than a person who did really well in standard? Something to consider...

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Not really, essay skills required at uni are very different to high school and they can be taught and learnt with practice, take whatever level you are proficient in to ensure you get the best UAI you can.

I did advanced at high school and found it wasn't much help in law. High school English isn't indicative of how you will perform at uni and you definately don't need ext 1 or 2.
Agreed. In advanced english, u spend most of your study time cramming shakespeare quotes or quotes from related material. Its ver ymuch about writing speed, memory and linking together ideas. Whilst these skills are good in law, most law exams allow you to bring in material and hence the memory skill is less. It's more about application; hence history subjects and the comprehension section in english are probably the best preparation as are subjects like economics (i found anyway). Economics requires you to understand the material and the concept and then apply it through an essay question which is similar to law.

Just get the result to get into law. Once your in there, you generally will have to do a Legal Research/Writing subject which teaches you the specific style law school requires.

saygoodbye

HSC
lionking1191 said:
I'd have to agree.

But who knows, I won't be studying law in another 3 years because 99.3UAI at unsw is IMPOSSIBLE to get since I'm from the south-western sydney area. hahaha so i'm gunna do social science (criminology) 80UAI for 3 years, graduate then do the graduate B Law at unsw. :) wish me luck guysss!

HSC
saygoodbye said:
I'd have to agree.

But who knows, I won't be studying law in another 3 years because 99.3UAI at unsw is IMPOSSIBLE to get since I'm from the south-western sydney area. hahaha so i'm gunna do social science (criminology) 80UAI for 3 years, graduate then do the graduate B Law at unsw. :) wish me luck guysss!
why do you think this?

Demandred

HSC
History Extension would definitley help. You'd get a whole heap of really tough reading at Law School which is on par to the difficulty to the History Extension readings. Expect sentances with 20 lines, 10 commas and tripple negatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)